Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 14:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/136/115
BF:
Progress: 48%
Question ham on stillmans???

Anyone know if ham is allowed on stillman's?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 01:42

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Yes, it is. All meat is allowed - just trim off any obvious fat. i also eat turkey ham on stillmans - even less fat. Are you on stillmans? How do you find it? If you want to compare notes with my experiences with stillmans you're welcome to visit my journal.
Robert
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 11:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/136/115
BF:
Progress: 48%

thanks! i actually saw that you used stillman's to get out of a stall and was considering it myself. just not sure if i can handle the blandness of it all... still thinking about it. i'll take a look at your jounal though... thanks!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 12:51

Hi mnickle,

Yes it's pretty boring. A typical stillman's day for me is:

Breakfast: 3 medium poached eggs

Lunch: 2oz canned tuna (in brine) with 2 poached eggs mashed in.

Dinner: a chicken breast or piece of meat ususally steamed or 'fried' in a little water. Desert - a wholw sugar free jello.

It is only the sugar free jello which makes life living!

I drink one cup of coffee (no cream), green tea and 8 x 10oz glasses of water each day. You soon go into deep ketosis and you can lose a pound a day! Don't keep it up for more than 4 or 5 days or your body might go into starvation mode and start slowing down.

Let me know if you try it.
Robert
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 08:49

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/145/130
BF:
Progress: 57%

Yes, Stillman's is pretty boring, but there are ways to jazz it up. Remember, you are also allowed cottage cheese, ricotta or pot cheese, as long as it's low in fat. And you can use seasonings such as garlic and chili powder to flavor your meat. I found the following on a Stillman's webpage, and it was a life saver for breakfast, since plain eggs make me queasy.

3 eggs
2 cups small curd cottage cheese
6 - 7 Tbs Splenda

Beat eggs, add Splenda and cottage cheese. Add flavorings such as cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, orange or lemon extract to taste. Bake in a non-stick pan at 325 F for 45 minutes.

I cut this into four portions, they come out to 120 - 180 calories apiece, depending on the fat content of the cottage cheese. With some ham or a few pieces of turkey sausage, it easily holds me until lunch. Also, you can eat some with a little sugar free syrup for dessert.

Robert - I never experienced the extreme appetite suppression you have described, but I exercise quite a lot, so maybe that's why. Or maybe it just takes a lot more to kill my appetite. At any rate, it was fairly easy to stay on Stillman's for a week and what it really did was break my habit of eating sweets after dinner. Even if they're sugar free, it's a bad habit that got me into trouble in the past. And I do seem to be leaning out faster now, even though I'm not doing Stillman's anymore.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 14:33

Hi 2berners,

Thanks for the receipe! I'll try it if I can find a cottage cheese in this country which is low enough in fat.

The appetite suppression is a fact for me - on Atkins I am always nibbling, on Stillman's I don't. I have a pretty sedentary lifestyle however which could account for the difference as you so rightly say.

I also make chocolate flavour pancakes with 90% protein powder, eggs, water, cocoa powder and artificial sweetener.

Best wishes,
Robert