Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 09:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 158/141/125
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default A.m. Blood Glucose Readings Type 2 Diabetes

I am a type 2 diabetic, diagnosed in January. Have been following Atkins since then and have lost 22 pounds. Weight is at 140. My blood pressure has gone down to l28/ 58, good since I have coronary artery disease, with stent. My AC has gone to 5.3. I take Glucotrol 10Mg, and also am on Hyzaar 100/25, Cardizem CD 300.

I am trying to get off of the Hyzaar or at least have it lowered, and also getting the Cardizem to 240Mg. Doctor not cooperating with that idea. At least not yet! He has said that he is considering removing the Glucotrol. I hope!!!

My question is, why is my blood glucost test, before breakfast going to between 130 and this morning 144. Could eating Salami have anything to do with it. I can't think of what I am doing differently. I also eat the carb solution bars as a treat, sometimes 1 a day.

I take Magnesium, Chromium Picolate, B150, Coq10,Vit C 500, Biotin, Flax seed oil, borage oil, both in capsule form to help with constipation and hard bowel movements. Vit. E, and L Carnitine, Alpha Lipoic Acid.

Can anyone offer any other help with supplements. I really would like to hear comments also on what could be raising the blood glucose readings in the A.M. Mid day and Evening are good ranges from 90 to 105.

Toni
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 15:50

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default A couple of questions...

...Have your morning readings always been higher than the rest of the day and how close to bedtime to you eat?
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 15:57
Registered Member

BF:

Hi,

Yes and no. They are usually a bit higher around 118 to 130. Never been as high as today. There are only 2 things I have done differently this past 2 days. 1. I added borage oil capsule, and 2 I drank decaffinated Vanilla Hazelnut coffee. I am wondering if the coffee, it is ground, and must be brewed, could be the problem. Does Vanilla affect blood glucose. Also the borage oil does not say that there is no sugar. I am going to stop both and see what happens. Late this afternoon reading was 99. I eat dinner at 4:00, and usually have a half of a carb solution bar, or a teaspoon of peanut butter before bed, near 11:00P.M.

HELP!

Is inositol a good supplement that I should consider? I really watch the carbs, so I am confused right now, and a bit concerned that perhaps my pancreas is having a problem.

Toni
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 17:42

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

It might be the coffee, but it's doubtful unless you are drinking it before you test; fasting blood sugars should be done as soon as possible in the morning and before you eat or drink anything. I really doubt it's the borage oil.
Blood sugars can go up for no discernable reason at all. Being a women, I've noticed that hormone fluctutions have a distinct impact on my blood sugars...usually up roughly 10 points once a month like clockwork during TOM.
Stress can raise your blood sugars. Illness can raise your blood sugars even before you know you're sick. Same thing with pain and injuries. A temporary increase may be nothing to worry about, but it bears careful watching. Since your blood sugars are good the rest of the day, I don't think it's a problem with your pancreas or you'd be seeing consistently higher blood sugars all day.
Your body is definitely less sensitive to insulin (either your own or that which you inject) in the morning hours, so you could simply be seeing the effects of that. You're also going a considerable amount of time without eating anything substantial (from 4 PM until breakfast the next morning) and you may be seeing the effects of a glycogen dump in the morning. You could try eating your dinner later in the day to see if that helps.
I also sometimes have strange reactions to artificial sweeteners and those low carb bars, so that may be something to consider dropping to see what effect it has.
If your blood sugars continue to go up, definitely let your doctor know what's going on.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 19:33

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 203/171/170
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default Carb Solutions Bars Raise My Sugar

Try switching to Atkins Advantage bars. If you're a GNC Gold Club Member they're about $18.00/box of 15 during 20% week. (Like right now.) They don't seem to raise my glucose much at all unless I eat 1) more than 1 per day or 2) eat one after 8 PM. Even then it'll only bump my morning fasting reading by 5 mg/dl or so.

Carb Solutions bars bump it about 15 mg/dl. Spring the trap door on 'em.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 19:44
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for the insight.
What is in the Carb Solution bars that would raise the blood glucose readings? I am wondering if it is the newest flavor that I have added that is causing this. I just bought the Chocolate fudge almond, and I wonder if that is my problem??? I usually take a half before I go to bed.

I have another question for anyone. Could the borage oil supplement be affecting my liver, and causing rise? I have read that it can cause liver problems. I tried Evening Primrose Oil and that added to the constipation. I only went to Borage for some help in that direction.

I am really confused, and unhappy with these readings. I was doing so well. I guess I am worried that my Pancreas is going to start to have problems, and I will never get off Glucotrol!

I refuse to give up, but I really need to find the answer to why the rise. If I mention it to my doctor at this point, he will only raise the medication level. I don't want that. I have worked too hard to reverse my health. I am tired of drugs.

Does anyone take Inositol? I have heard that it is helpful.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 19:49

BF:
Default I do

I take Inositol. See the Chromium Picolinate thread in this forum.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 19:52
Registered Member

BF:

I also take Chromium Picolate. Will check out that thread.

Thanks.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 07:10

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by toninasky

What is in the Carb Solution bars that would raise the blood glucose readings?

Who cares? If it raises my blood sugar, I dump it. Let them do their own R&D.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 07:58
Registered Member

BF:
Cool

GOOD POINT! Blood Glucose reading this morning at 129.

Started taking Inositol.

Thanks!

Any other comments on high A.M. readings would be appreciated.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 08:40

BF:
Default Don't eat after 8 PM

I find that my morning fasting reading is always higher if I eat the night before. Even if it's pure protein, any food after 8PM makes a real difference the next morning, sometimes as much as 20 mg/dl difference. The only exception to this is Sugar Free Jello, which is a free food just like diet soda is.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 10:48
Registered Member

BF:

I have tried not to have a snack at night, but since we eat very early, it is really not that easy to do. Hopefully I can find a happy medium.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 21:48

Plan: General LC, geared towards lowering blood glucose levels
Stats: 240/235?/190 Female 5'10 1/2"
BF:
Progress:
Default morning bg readings

There are two main reasons for high fasting readings. One is called "dawn phenomenon" and the other is gastroparesis (slow stomach emptying). The treatment for them depends on which you have.

I would highly recommend the book, "Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution". It goes into great detail about gastroparesis and even tells you how you can test at home to see if you have it. I will give you a hint: If you skip supper one night and your blood sugar is lower the next morning, then your problem could easily be the gastroparesis. If it is still high, you are more likely looking at the dawn phenomenon, which is a hormone thing related to the liver.

There are some things you can do to try and change these readings, but I can't go into it all here. Read the book! You could also do some searches on both of those things on the web.

Best wishes - let me know how it goes!

Ramona
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 23:23
Registered Member

BF:
Wink

Thanks Ramona.

I really appreciate the input.

Will check out more, and I believe I will read the Bernstein book. You know, I started to buy it, and instead went to the Atkins books. I believe that both have lots to offer at this point, and I think it is time I gave Bernstein equal time>

Will post more as I go through this
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 23:33

BF:
Default Re: morning bg readings

Quote:
Originally posted by ramonamom
There are two main reasons for high fasting readings.

There aren't only two main reasons for anything when it comes to diabetes. If there's one attribute which can be said to characterize diabetes more than any other it would be, in my opinion, complexity . There are at least a dozen main reasons for high fasting readings in my body. There are at least a dozen in your body and some of them are probably different from whatever's going on in me. In addition to the dawn phenomenon (whose cause is as yet unclear to medical science) and gastroparesis, there is also the process of gluconeogenesis to consider. And, as Dr. Bernstein puts it in his book:

"Although the mechanics of the dawn phenomenon aren't yet entirely clear, research suggests that the liver deactivates more circulating insulin during the early morning hours. It doesn't matter whether you made the insulin yourself or injected it; the liver has no preference. " - Text, p. 84.

Then there are also the following to consider: adrenaline surges due to stress, infection and medications for other conditions. The "Chinese Restaurant" effect may also come into play.

That's seven variables right there. I'm sure Dr. B. could come up with about a dozen more right off the top of his head.

I've always gotten into the most trouble with my blood sugars when I begin to think that the mechanisms and the solutions are simple. They're not. They're extraordinarily complex.