Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 08:15
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 188/188/150
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default what other diets had you tried before atkins

i had tried it all!

Weight Watchers (i hate those damn points!)

hollywood 48 hour diet ( sooo hungry)

slim fast

you name it i tried it. how about you
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 08:18

Plan: Trying CAD
Stats: 183/162.8/120 Female 4'11"
BF:
Progress: 32%
Smile

I tried Weight Watchers, didi good for a while, but then lost intrest in it and was really hungry.

Slim Fast, maybe 2 days I did it, then needed real food.

All the diet pills out there and they all failed.

Starvation at one point, maybe 4 days, then needed to eat.

This one now is Atkins and I feel great, never starving and not bored with it and don't think I ever will be.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 08:20

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2

I tried weight watchers, it worked for a while, but I found that I started eating more, thinking it was "okay"

Slim Fast - tooooooooo boring and I was starving

Those diets that you can lose 10 lbs in 3 days, you can, but it comes back, plus

This is the best, I'm not hungry and feel great, plus I don't consider it a diet, I don't have to think of what to eat, I just know.

Vikki
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 08:46
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/245/180 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 24%

Just about all of them. Weight Watchers, Grapefruit, and the worst: The Cabbage Soup Diet. Sure, I lost 15lbs in 7 days on it, but i felt awful, and it all came back immediately.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 08:59
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I tried slimfast. Before they improved the flavor they tasted to nasty to drink. I found though that the amount of calories and fat in the shakes, and lack of nutrician was awful. Carnation instant breakfast is actuly better. Plus I was starving.

I also tried the Special K twice a day thing. I love cereal, but no weight loss there.

High doses of Ephedera + weight training 5 days a week + very low fat diet worked, but I gained it all back when pregnant. I want something more perminant and with less drugs.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 09:07

Stats: 222/209/150 Female 5' 6.5"
BF:39%/34.6%/24%
Progress: 18%

I tried the "healthy" Fit For Life diet. they touted the only thing that makes you fat is fat. Heard that before...

1500 calories a day and I gained 15 pounds in a month and a half AND I was starving all the time... Yeah, that worked well.

~Shelly
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 09:19
SanePsychoSuprGodess

Stats: 205/191/115 Female 5' 1"
BF:46%/41%/20%
Progress: 16%
Default Trying not to be bitter...

I'll rant a bit....A couple of years ago, I joined a weight loss program managed by an organization I'll call ...hmmmmm....the Puniversity of Bolorado Heath Sciences Center called Weight Choice. For the low, low price of $3500 we received a low-fat diet plan based on the USDA's food pyramid, sessions with a dietician and personal trainer, and once per week group counseling sessions.

After they cashed our checks, they dropped the bomb that they considered wild success on the program to be a loss of "...as much as 10% of our weight in a year!"

The "generous" 1400 calorie low-fat diet was impossible for me to follow because I was starving and cheating constantly. The diet was all about deprivation and finding out what psychological blocks and personal weaknesses were stopping you from depriving yourself -- like healthy people should. I finally dropped out because I was tired of listening to everyone's weekly report of why they had cheated on the plan and how they still had not lost any weight. I gained 10+ pounds on the "diet."

This whole program was sponsored by a hospital supposedly on the forefront of obesity research and run by respected doctors. The program no longer exists because no one ever lost significant weight and people would drop out and not sign up for the second year of sessions. The main message was -- there is something wrong with you -- so wrong that you need a team of professionals that includes a psychologist. They told us over and over that this was the only way to lose weight and implied that if we failed to follow it, we were hopeless and doomed to remain obese.

I want my $3500 back -- it would buy a whole lot of macadamia nuts!

Last edited by GrlyGrl : Wed, Jun-04-03 at 09:22.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 09:26

Stats: 181/181/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Default 30 yrs old and 13 different diets

I've tried the following:

Dexatrim
Phen Phen
B-9 shot (lost 30 lbs) Went back a couple of times
Jenny Craig (Did this twice lost some weight but too much money)
Nutri System
Weight Watchers (Lost some weight but too slow of results
Xendrine (Too jumpy)
Egg diet
Body for Life (Could balance the foods)
Zone (COuld understand the concepts)
Grapefruit diet
Apple diet
Acuputure

I think this cover's it.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 09:27

Stats: 249/197/170 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 66%

This WOL is especially special to me because I've never spent more than 6 hours on ANY diet. I would start out in the morning, but by mid-afternoon, I was eating more than I ever normally would. Just the thought of being on a "diet" made me eat twice as much.

When I reached my third day on Atkins, I knew I could do it forever. This is my 6th week and I couldn't be prouder of myself.

~Angi~
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 09:30

Stats: 151/128/110 Female 5'1.5"
BF:Yes
Progress: 56%

Slim fast
Low fat

Practically starvation (a yogurt a day and a slim fast or protien shake at night).

All worked for a short period of time but I ALWAYS felt hungry and unhealthy.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 09:37

Plan: atkins
Stats: 201/154/140 Female 5ft4inches
BF:yes it is
Progress: 77%
I have also tried a few,
the cabbage soup diet, aparantly used in hospitals on people awaiting heart ops(I think the only way I could do that again is if I were strapped to a hospital bed). Slim fast, not, I couldn't stand the thickness of the shakes and the other thins in the range were inedible. Slimming World, I don't think they have that in the US, but it's based on "green" and "red" days (green=veggie day,red=meat day), I lost 12lbs in about 3 months and was always hungry and very tearful.
I hated going to the slimming world meetings once a week, they weigh you in the same room as everyone else and discuss if you've lost or gained and why that is and you were all over the place.And I had to plan every meal before hand, for someone who was trying to get a grip on food etc I can honestly say that I had never thought about food so mouch in my life.
So I had a good couple of years in denial and eating whatever and whenever and got very depressed and found my own way to Atkins, my hero, I have lost in 3 weeks what it took me 3 months to loose before.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 09:42

Stats: 290/246.5/230 Male 74 inches
BF:??/19/12
Progress: 73%
Default My worst problem

Low Carolie - 14 y/o - 21y/o

Low Fat/Low Carb/massive cardio (working out with a bodybuilder), lost down to 248, but didn't stay with it. Same foods over and over.

ADA/No Fat (translation: sugar diet)

It was with the ADA that I found out I was a Type II Diabetic, wish I could send the ADA the bill for the medical treatment I have needed. Good thing my inernal medicine doctor recommended SugarBusters or Atkins, whichever I wanted. Sugarbusters got my from 315 to 290, and Atkins has gotten me from 290 to 268 and will most likely get me to 230 or so.

It has been 3 years since Diabetes was diagnosed, and I am almost (within a couple weeks) medicine free.

Later,
wsgts
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 10:02

Plan: Lo-carb/calorie counting
Stats: 148/125/125 Female 64 in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

Mostly, I've been a calorie counter and a fat shunner in the past. I have to admit to trying the Scarsdale diet on more than a few occassions, though. Of course, I always go off of these plans and gain back everything I've lost - you can't keep that up forever. The Scarsdale is incredibly rigid and outdated, while I just get sick of calorie counting after a while and give it up.

I only hope I can maintain my goal weight on this plan, when I get there. I really think I WILL be able to.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 10:14

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Low-Calorie
Low-Fat
Starvation
Vegetarian

Low-Fat caused me to gain weight. Low-Calorie left me miserable, but down a little bit. Starvation is the only one that gave me quick effects...but, I always gained it back. My dad lost over 100 pounds once on a starvation diet. He would eat only one day a week. He kept a weight chart and it looked like a roller coaster...down for 6 days, up a few pounds and then back down. He was miserable the whole time and has put the weight back on and then some. I could never do Vegetarian for more than a few weeks...because I could not live the rest of my life without meat. I could never do Vegan for more than a few days.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 10:16
This is the year

Stats: 194/186.8/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

Well, there was the "college diet" of pizza and Ramen...............

Seriously, I tried Low fat and felt hungry all the time, then I saw Dr Atkins on Oprah, and have never looked back.