Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 11:41
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 150/???/120 Female 5'-4"
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default Suggestions for trip to NZ

Hi all,

I'll be travelling to New Zealand at the end of June and was wondering if anyone has suggestions of places or things to eat that I should be sure not to miss.

The BF and I will be driving from Auckland to Dunnedin for the first week and then spending a full week in Dunnedin.

Thanks a lot!
Ashtaroth
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 06:04

Stats: 187/167/143
BF:
Progress: 45%

hi - and welcome to the best little nation in the world!!

Your question is a bit like asking how long is a piece of string?

There are many things that are just the same as in Canada, and then there are many things you will find to be just different enough to know you are not at home.

Places to go? Well travelling by car is the best way to see the country. There are lots of interesting places along the route you will take. NZ is a little like England - It packs a lot of scenery into a very small area, but in the case of NZ its all about natrural beauty raher than history.

What to Eat? All I can think of here is all the stuff we dont eat any more!! (Chocolate, ices cream jafas, pineapple lumps and other local candy)

I dont think our food is very different, we have all the fast food places, except Taco Bell, we have heaps of Chinese and Indian resturants, and all the usual ready-to eat foods at supermarkets. You will find it easier to stay low carb if you use a chiller bin and travel with your own food. We dont have all the excesses of some cultures but we do have lots of temptations ;(

I think NZ is very up with low carb thinking, but that is maybe becasue with diabetes in our family we have immersed ourselves in it. It is discussed quite a lot in the news programmes.

Remember that anywhere in NZ you can get four seasons in one day, so you'll need appropriate clothing, and going to Dunedin in winter? You may even get snow!!

Have a great time - I know you'll love it here...

Cheers
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 18:27

Stats: 232/217/185
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hi Ashtaroth - welcome, hope you have a great time here!

We have just been travelling around the country & found the chillybin to be essential for lo-carb food anytime.
Favorite protein foods while on the road were cooked chickens from any supermarket, or if you spot a rotisserie-cooked one in a takeaway shop, even better. We like Aria Farm meat chips (buy from supermarket freezer) which can be quickly cooked in a microwave or oven or frypan at camping ground or motels. They taste good cold. Some fish shops will grill or microwave fresh fish if you ask. For a quick snack, buy a burger & throw the bun to the seagulls.

The countryside is so beautiful you will enjoy finding gorgeous scenic spots to park & eat! One of the best places to do this is on the road between Picton & Kaikoura where there are stands selling cooked local crayfish (lobster) by the main road which runs between bush & sea - spectacular!

There are many places selling locally produced cheeses, wines, avocados, fresh vegetables, olive oils & nuts - keep your eyes open.

Also, don't forget to visit Central Otago, the Catlins, the Lakes & Fiordland while in Dunedin. The journey is well worth it!
If you head up the Waitaki Valley to Mt Cook you will find a salmon farm - now that is great food from a lovely spot!
The South Island is wonderful for gourmet food of all kinds - venison, trout, oysters - ask the locals.

Good eating & safe travelling! Floribunda
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 06:36
Registered Member

Stats: 150/???/120 Female 5'-4"
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default Thank you

I really appreciate all the suggestions!! I've spent the last week reserving hostels, cars, and B&B's for the trip so I'm really excited to go. I grew up near the Rocky Mountains in Canada so I cant wait to see the gorgeous landscapes of NZ!

-Ash