Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 22:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/139/120
BF:36%/29%/18%
Progress: 60%
Default Daaaannnnnnngggggggg...........

Can y'all hear me screaming in frusturation from all the way up here in Canada ? I have gone all freakin' day with NO caffine. No Diet Vanilla Coke, Coffee, or Tea. OMG, I am a screaming b***c. How long will these nasty withdrawls take ? Seriously, this is almost as bad as quitting smoking ( I have smoked off and on for 13 years). I am soooooo tired and short-tempered right now. DH said if it was possible for a woman to spit nails, it would be me. So I sent the poor bugger off to 7-11 where my SIL works. She stashed a couple of cases for me in the back ( 7-11 is no longer going to stock it). I am going to wean myself off instead of going cold turkey. Any other caffine addicts in the midst ?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 00:16
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I have a few suggestions to wean you off caffiene...

Dilute the DC with mineral or soda water. Start with 1/4 water and 3/4 DC. Every week, increase the water by 1/4. Same goes for coffee. Mix 1/4 lb. decaff into 3/4 lb. high-test.

Another thing you can do is start drinking Japanese green tea instead of coffee and DC. The benefits far out weigh the modest amount of caffiene it contains. I switched to Japanese green tea in December and have not regretted it. I used to need a cup of coffee at 5 p.m. every day but that doesn't happen with the green tea. But my addiction is sugar, not caffiene.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 11:27

Default Karen

Have I told you lately that I love you ? Your suggestions are always great and you are so supportive. Thanks soooo much !
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 11:54
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

When I first cut out carbs and caffine, I was mean, had a headache, and was just blah. After the withdrawls ended I felt great and much more even keeled. Even during the stress of finals I was much able to better handle it without the ups and downs of caffine.

I just recently swiched from drinking decaf coffee w/cream to decaf green tea. I am trying to cut back on my dairy Tastes great in the mornings, though tends to make me thirsty as heck.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 13:28

Plan: General LC
Stats: 232/157.4/145 Female 5'6.5
BF:...getting lower
Progress: 86%
Talking Love the Green Tea

I was a horrible caffine addict and started a medication last year that made me break the habit. Best thing I ever did for myself, next to quitting smoking!
I do love a cup of green tea in the morning at work though. I am with Karen, that the benefits of green tea far outweight the minimal amt of caffine I ingest.

One word of warning - if you decide to wean, great. If you try cold turkey still (as I did), do NOT drink anything with caffine for at least 2 weeks, otherwise, the nasty side effects will come back with a vengence.

Also, the headaches and general cruddy-ness you are feeling now will abate rather quickly after 72 hours. Drinking TONS of water would also help flush the residual out of your system.

Good luck!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 14:06

Default Doing better

So far I have only had 1/2 cup of DVC today. I am going to try diluting it with club soda to see if that helps. Quitting smoking is another issue I need to tackle too. I have smoked off and on for 13 years. I quit cold turkey the minute I found out I was pregnant with my daughter. I stopped again when going through fertility treatments but lit up once we decided to stop trying.