Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 20:26

Plan: General
Stats: 200/200/170 Male 74
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Body Fat scale or digital calipers?

Which one would be more accurate in obtaining body fat percentages? Seems like the calipers would be, but I am looking for personal experiences.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 20:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

I'd bet on the calipers or "water displaced" rather than the scale. I have only ever heard of the Tanita scale and many people have reported problems or "disbelief" with their "body fat sensing" scales. I even heard that you need to have wet feet for an accurate reading.

I f you have the calipers, I'd stick with them.

#3   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 12:49
Registered Member

Stats: 265/224.1/205 Male 70 inches
BF:39%/27.1%/20%
Progress: 68%

Water displacement is the gold standard...all other methods are only as good as the equipment and/or the operator. (IMHO)

OK, that being said, I use TANITA body fat scales. HOWEVER, I don't worry about if they are absolute, I only use them for trend. I've never had a problem getting a reading but there are several factors affecting bio-electic. Hydration levels, body energy levels (like the higher electrical output after exercise, and even if you do a measurement after lying down are a few factors to consider. I use my scale twice a day, first thing in the morning and last thing before bed. I average these reading across a 7 day period to minimize daily "changes".

YMMV.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 12:48

Stats: 319/265/250 Male 6' 4"
BF:
Progress: 78%

I have the scale and the calipers. The scale is good for a reference to see if you are losing or gaining bodyfat. As far as the calipers go if you don't measure exactly the same way and same spots you will get different readings. I always get different results so I can't rely on the calipers.