Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 15:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 150/138/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 48%
Unhappy Low Carb Bread???

Hi...

I'm sooooo frustrated. I understand I can have one slice of "low Carb bread" on the Atkins Diet. I have been to every store in our area and one health food store. Nada! I checked the "Low Carb Shopping" on this site, and if I'm correct, It's $5.79 for one loaf!! Well, until I win the lottery, that will have to wait. Any ideas or should I just forget the bread. I miss my occassional sandwich.

Morgan
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 15:21
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

I only ate that stuff once I had been in OWL-but it hasn't seemed to affect my weight loss. I get Nature's Own either 100% whole wheat at 7 g or Nature's Own Lowered Carb at 5 g a slice. We have it at just the regular grocery store.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 19:59

BF:
Default Low carb bread

Thanks! I'll look for Nature's Own...maybe I overlooked it. I did find a whole wheat that is only 5 per slice AFTER you subtract the fiber. I think that's ok. Thanks, again.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 20:21
Wombat Ashramite

Stats: 00/00/00 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hi Morgan,

In Ballard, Pilgrim's Natureway carries the Atkins bread for $4.99 per loaf (expensive, but worth it if you're dying for a sandwich). You can also get low carb candy, cookies, bread and tortillas at Trader Joe's (although they sell quickly, so it's best to go earlier in the day). The bread and tortillas are labeled, "Low Carb Bread" and "Low Carb Tortilla's". Safeway carries the La Tortilla Factory LC tortillas which you can use to make wraps, nachos, burritos, etc.

The best low-carb stock I've seen with the most reasonable prices is in downtown Renton at Minkler's Green Earth (I posted their info in the low-carb yellow pages at right). They carry a full line of Keto products and lots of Atkins stuff. I didn't notice pre-made bread, but they do have some mixes for bread machines. Natureway Health Food store at Northgate Mall has tons of low-carb stuff, but their prices are appalling. It's worth a stock-up trip to Minkler's, but I would call first to find out what they have in stock, since it gets picked-over at times.

I'm interested in the bread that you found. What's the brand and where can I pick some up?

Hope this helps,
Dig
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 21:58

BF:
Thumbs up Thanks, Dig!

Wow! You are a wealth of information! Thanks a million. I don't think I could do the "Ballard" one since I'm in Federal Way, but I sure can do the Renton store! We also have a Trader Joe's right up the street. I don't know why I didn't think of them today.

The bread I have I bought at Freddie's (Fred Meyer's). It is Oroweat Light; 100% Whole Wheat. I hope I'm doing the calculations correctly. It says 1 svg is 2 slices. It's 18 g carbs, 7 g fiber; for a total NET carb of 11. Well, I only use one slice so that would be 5.5 per slice; if I'm doing it right.

I bought his latest book; "Atkins For Life", thinking that was all I needed to start. Well, I'm finding myself a bit confused so I think maybe I should have first read his book; "New Diet Revolution." This book assumes I know what he's talking about and I don't.

Thanks, again, for the info. I really appreciate it. Now if I can just get past my worry about all this meat and dairy and eggs causing my cholesterol to rise; right now my numbers are exactly where they should be.

Thanks again!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 02:19

Plan: atkins, somewhat
Stats: 200/169/140 Female 5'4''
BF:
Progress: 52%

maybe you can try buying the atkins bread mix or baking flour and baking a loaf yourself? it might be cheaper, im not sure though.. also fresh baked bread always tastes the best
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 09:57

BF:
Red face Baking Bread

Hi!

I thought of that; baking my own. The only problem I have there is as much as I love to cook (savory dishes) and as much time as I spend in the kitchen, I'm not a baker. Fortunately, I'm not really much of a bread eater, period. I do just enjoy a sandwich periodically or a piece of toast with breakfast. Thanks for the suggestion, though. I guess I could pick a day and baked several loaves and freeze them; that way I wouldn't have to spend too much time baking. Thanks!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 14:41
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 192/188/160
BF:42/40.2/20.0
Progress: 13%
Default GNC

Have you checked out GNC lately? They have gone Atkins crazy! The last time I went there they had EVERYTHING. I got the bread mix and a few bars. All I have made so far is the banana nut bread, and I think it is good. VERY good with butter!
And that is only 2 carbs per serving.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 14:49

BF:
Default Re: GNC

Quote:
Originally posted by aeon077
Have you checked out GNC lately? They have gone Atkins crazy! The last time I went there they had EVERYTHING. I got the bread mix and a few bars. All I have made so far is the banana nut bread, and I think it is good. VERY good with butter!
And that is only 2 carbs per serving.

Zowie!! That is really good to know! We have a GNC in the mall right around the corner! I'll check it out. Thanks!!

Morgan
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 15:22
SanePsychoSuprGodess

Stats: 205/191/115 Female 5' 1"
BF:46%/41%/20%
Progress: 16%
Default O'Solo buns at Trader Joe's

I found O'solo buns at Trader Joes for under $3 per package. The package contained 4 buns, which I used as humberger/hotdog buns. They contain 3 grams of net carbs and are delicious.

Last edited by GrlyGrl : Thu, May-29-03 at 15:28.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 21:06

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 130/119/110 Female 61
BF:??
Progress: 55%

I just bought the bread mix, which is WAY cheaper. I'll be getting it tomorrow, along with LC oatmeal and pancake mix...plus other goodies like jam and syrup!!! I think it'll REALLY help, b/c I can't DEAL without my toast or cereal!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 06:34

BF:
Default Re: O'Solo buns at Trader Joe's

Quote:
Originally posted by GrlyGrl
I found O'solo buns at Trader Joes for under $3 per package. The package contained 4 buns, which I used as humberger/hotdog buns. They contain 3 grams of net carbs and are delicious.

I thought I answered this once, but I cannot find it now so please forgive me if I'm repeating myself. I LOVE hot dogs and hamburgers. This is very good to know. I'll be going to TJ's today! Thanks so much!

Morgan
  #13   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 06:45

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by EarthMamma
I just bought the bread mix, which is WAY cheaper. I'll be getting it tomorrow, along with LC oatmeal and pancake mix...plus other goodies like jam and syrup!!! I think it'll REALLY help, b/c I can't DEAL without my toast or cereal!

Hi!

I love oatmeal as well, and it's sooo good for you. However, I like it with lots of sugar on it! I've tried other toppings but nothing seems to do it for me but sugar. I'm trying very hard to build up a tollerance for Splenda so I can have my oatmeal, but so far it's not working; the aftertaste is so nasty to me. So, until I can find a sweetener I can tollerate, pancakes and cereal and anything I need sugar on is a real challenge.

I'm not going to lie, I'm finding this plan very difficult so far. I didn't realize I had so many dislikes (food) until I started this WOE. I never considered myself a picky eater, but I guess I am. So far I'm living on meat, eggs and broccoli and I feel like I'm starving. I lost 8 pounds the first 10 days, but haven't lost one ounce in the last three. I need to stay of that scale!

Well, I guess this was more information than anyone needed. I must have needed to vent.

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate all the help I can get.

Morgan
  #14   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 13:46

Stats: 215/180/155 Female 5'4"
BF:57.2%/45%/25%
Progress: 58%

Try Walmart. They have bread called Healthy Life which has 5 ECC and 1 gram sugar and also hot dog and hamburger buns (8 to a package) by Healthy Life which has 11 ECC with 3 grams sugar. I had a hamburger bun on Memorial day with my hamburger (first bread since January) and it was sooooo good. But, I am letting my husband have the buns for his hamburgers while I eat mine on a plate.

Rose

Last edited by RBalhan : Fri, May-30-03 at 13:55.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 20:50

Plan: lap band...low carb
Stats: 225/181/145 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 55%
Default wal- art

Wal-mart here in Texas carries the low carb bread made by Nature's Own...I asked and said yes, we carry it, but it dissappears really fast....I think everyone must be on atkins...at wal-mart this week, they didn't even have heavy whipping cream....