Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 15:24
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%
Default more fat = better?

HI there, my husband has started low carb and of course instead of looking for anything himself he asks me every technical question he can imagine.. many of them about ketosis because he is obsessed with peeing on the strips...
Anyway. One thing which I have failed to satisfactorily (a real word?) explain to him is why eating more fat is good. His argument is that if you're already eating lots of fat and you have no carbs why would you body bother to burn it's own fat rather than the stuff you're eating, wouldn't you burn more fat eating low carb low fat? Can anyone help with this question? Basically I am responsible for the information that everyone in his work gets about low carb so I better get it right
Thanks,
Meg
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 16:05
SanePsychoSuprGodess

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/191/115 Female 5' 1"
BF:46%/41%/20%
Progress: 16%
Default This is probably why I am not married...

He needs to read the book. He is responsible for his own weight. He will never be motivated to stick to the WOL unless he takes some responsibility for learning about it. He'll continue to be lazy as long as he's allowed.

Last edited by GrlyGrl : Thu, May-29-03 at 16:08.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 16:10
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

This is from the Atkins web site:

"One of insulin's jobs is to convert all your excess carbohydrate into stores of body fat. In a normally functioning body, fatty acids and ketones are readily converted from fat tissue to fuel. But in overweight people, high insulin levels prevent this from happening.

Most obese people become so adept at releasing insulin that their blood is never really free of it and they’re never able to use up their fat stores. By primarily burning fat instead of carbohydrates, lipolysis breaks the cycle of excess insulin and resultant stored fat. So by following a fat containing, controlled carbohydrate regimen, you bypass the process of converting large amounts of carbohydrate into glucose. When your carbohydrate intake drops low enough to induce fat burning, abnormal insulin levels return to normal—perhaps for the first time in years or decades."

Now your body has to have some kind of fuel to keep going-so on Atkins you use fat as your food fuel instead of carbs. Doing a low carb/low fat thing would be dangerous as your body would then move to burning muscle tissue instead of fat.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 18:50
Registered Member

Thanks Paleoanth, I appreciate the response!

So.. what about in a normal person rather than an overweight one? I have a softer belly than I'd like but I am not "overweight" and my husband is very slim... only wants to drop some fat quickly to see the stomach muscles again..help with athletic performance etc.

I'll let him know what you think grlygrl, although I he is in a different position than you think He is by no means lazy or overweight, and eats less carbs than the general public because he knows the health benefits. I am simply trying to find out why more fat is better while eating low carb than less. Not from a health stand point, but from a fat loss.

take care,
Meg

ps: this is purely for the sake of interest and argument. We love our bacon and cheese and dressings
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 23:13

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

This thread: Confused and scared to eat fat has a pretty decent explanation for how fat processes in the absence of insulin. Here's a good quote from it:

Quote:
Originally posted by Doreen
So what happens to the fat you eat?? It is WASTED. That's right, wasted. The fat you eat is broken down into fatty acids in the bowel, by the action of enzymes and bile. These fatty acids are absorbed into the bloodstream and taken to the liver, where they are further processed ... into ketones, and into other fatty acid components. Some of the ketones may be used for fuel. Mostly they are excreted in the urine, stool and breath (via the lungs). The free fatty acid components are also excreted. Why?? Because once fatty acids are broken down into the smaller ketone, acetone and fatty esterols .. they CANNOT be converted back into fat. That's basic Biochemistry 101. Without insulin, they cannot be forced into storage in the fat cells. So they are eliminated. This is what Atkins refers to as the "Metabolic Advantage".

The other question is how does eating fat stimulate the burning of BODY fat?? Well, it acts like kindling. It primes the liver into fat-burning and ketone-production mode. Once this ketone production is in full swing, and the dietary fat is used up, the liver starts looking for more source of fat to process. It turns to your body fat stores.
Does that help?
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 06:22
Registered Member

yes, thanks a lot! The link was great too.

take care,
Meg
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 06:30
Registered Member

ok, I just have to repeat WOW that was an awesome link, with a link to another great thread... thanks again. This is something I had been hoping to find for quite some time.