Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 09:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 246/227/140 Female 5ft 4in
BF:
Progress: 18%
Unhappy Totally bummed this morning

I am completely bummed out this morning and just want to write it off. I got on the scales this morning and was up again..one pound yesterday, and one today...now all of this is after I increased my calories to closer to what I "should" be eating. It is the first time I have had a gain, and I have to say I feel sick this morning. Really, really upset. I keep track of everything, estimate high even, so that I don't miss anything, and this is what happens!!!!! My first reaction is, okay...back to about 1000 or so a day...can't take it if I start gaining. I don't know what to do..keep the calories up or take them back down...HELP
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 10:06

Plan: Atkins started 1/2/03
Stats: 302/260/185
BF:47/38/23
Progress: 36%
Default Personally...

I don't prescribe to the calorie thing. I do what my body tells me. Some days, I probably eat over 2000 calories, others, I am well under 1200. Some days I am just hungrier than others, but I certainly don't force myself to eat....

HTH,

Amy

Last edited by achio4444 : Fri, May-23-03 at 16:36.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 10:09
Registered Member

Stats: 190/150/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 133%

I never count calories. I am not even sure they have that much to do with this diet anyway. I eat 3 meals a day, and have a couple of snacks, not worrying at all how much I consume. I do watch my carbs, but that is it. Maybe with the increase in calories, you have increased your carbs?

I find that I lose weight faster when I make sure to get my fat in. I am not a big fan of fatty foods, but seem to do so much better when I do make it part of my diet.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 10:12

Plan: My own
Stats: 340/340/180 Female 5' 10"
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 0%
Cool hey there!

Big hugs! I know you're bummed...but you need to maintani a positive attitude! That pity pot trip that we're ALL guilty of taking at one time or another is a sure fire road to a cheat or complete fall off the LC wagon. Be patient with yourself. Make sure you're getting enough water, watch your salt intake. Maybe re-read the section on Induction and stick to it more religiously than you have before.

I've noticed that you've got "modifed atkins" on your program listing.....exactly how is it modified? Maybe that's where the problem lies? Let me know and I'll see what I can do to help. Keep your chin up my dear, it's only 2 pounds...not much in the grand scheme of things.

Nicole
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 12:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins-Induction (again!)
Stats: 320/256/180
BF:no/frickin'/idea
Progress: 46%

These kind of fluctuation happen to me all the time. Really it's most likely water. I find it helpful to look at the big picture and not concentrate on what happens over the course of one or two days. (Even though I weigh myself 2x daily)

I hit a new low at the end of last week and bounced up 3 LBS, but I'm not worried because experience has told me that my GENERAL TREND is downward.

Moral: Don't be bummed, if you can help it. A positive attitude is your best friend on this WOL!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 12:18
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I have two pounds fluctuations all the time -- some days I tend to retain more water than other days.

As to whether or not you should keep your calories up, I guess it depends upon why you decided to count calories in the first place. I have been low carbing for 10 months and I have never counted calories (or used Fitday). I have no idea how many calories I eat each day -- I eat when I am hungry and I stop eating when I am full. The only thing I count is carbs.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 13:48

Plan: Atkins/Rosedale
Stats: 244/216/165 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Try Try to stay away from the scale for a week. The scale is a cruel tool. As you can see "it" has gotten you upset. Don't let the scale rule you. Think about all the other positive things about this WOE.

Easier said than done, I know!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 16:29

Plan: My Own
Stats: 285/268/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Oh DarB, don't be discouraged! I know just how you feel, I'm such a turtle loser that any gain at all seems devastating. However, as stated above, it is the general downward trend that is important, not day to day fluctuations.

Not that they don't s#~k but this is why I stopped weighing myself everyday. Also, you can't gain a whole pound of fat in one day, so it probably is water weight, and it will come back off.

I had to increase my calories to kick start my weight loss, and it worked for me. In fact, I did it only for one week, then went back down to what I normally had 1500-1700 a day and it seemed to slow my loss back down BUT this past week was TOM so I'm not going to stress over it.

Just because it worked for me though, I guess it doesn't work for everyone. However, don't think you've sabotaged yourself somehow, and don't go back down to 1000 calories a day, that is so low, your body will think it's starving and slow you metabolism down.

I'd just watch not only your carb count but the kinds of carbs you're eating. Make sure you're drinking lots of water and getting some exercise, but not overdoing that either. If you're doing resistance more than every other day it can be counter-productive.

Hang in there! Put the scale in the closet for the next two weeks, and do what you think is best for you eating-wise. Don't sweat the day to day stuff though, it's not what counts in the long run!