Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 11:50

Plan: atkins
Stats: 164/158/125
BF:
Progress: 15%
Red face Frustration abounds

A good friend and I decided to start a low carb diet a couple weeks ago. So far, I've dropped a couple pounds- but it's hard to say whether it's the diet or just my normal weight fluctuation. I was on an SSRI (zoloft) which I thought may be slowing down the weight-loss process. After speaking with my doctor, I have been off of the anti-depressant for a week and a half now. I am really frustrated- I've been depriving myself of my favorite things for two 1/2 weeks and for what? To have a bloated stomach, constipation issues, and weight stagnation? I am looking for some (any) encouragement here- maybe some empathy. I have not been drinking 8 glasses of water a day, and I have lately, especially, been substituting Atkins bars for meals instead of eggs or meat. Any advice?!?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 18:25
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Well, you seem to have a grasp on what might be slowing you down.

It will probably take some time for the medication you were on to get completely out of your system.

Water, it does a body good! Fill up a big bottle of water (I use a 25 oz. bottle) and drink one with every meal. Later you can work up adding one in between meals.

I'm of the opinion that bars are evil. They set me off on craving more sweet things and they stop any chance of weight loss cold for me.

Eat more foods, especially leafy green vegetables.

Some people recommend psylium husks for constipation. I've had good luck with added magnesium.

As for missing your favorite things...there must be some really great low carb food out there that you can love. There are so many legal choices!

Hope this helps.

Beth
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 19:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/217/140
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default don't give up

Hi, the first week or so are hard, and even later you will still have cravings, you'll just be able to handle them better. Water is the key to any weight loss, so start in the morning and keep drinking.
I've only been LCing for about a month, and the scales don't show much, but the tape measure does. Exercise is just as vital as the water. It does seem like it is taking forever sometimes, but we didn't put on the weight instantly, so it won't come off that way, either. It sounds like you have a buddy on this WOE, so encourage each other, cheer each other on! Most LCers suggest giving this WOE at least a month so that your body can adjust to it, so hang in there, it will get easier.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 19:18
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

My stats are very similar to yours. I lost only 4 pounds on induction-so losing just a couple or a few pounds is pretty normal. I have found my weight loss is in fits and starts-but the loss in inches is more impressive. Make sure you measure!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 21:52
Registered Member

Stats: 182/173/150
BF:
Progress: 28%

Hi Skyler! I too take Zoloft-it is a wonder drug for me and my PMS! Except I have gained 30 pounds in the 2 1/2 years I have been on it. Anyway I have tried Curves, walking and 1000 calorie a day diets and nothing seems to work. So I am now doing Atkins. I have lost 6 pounds and I am just finishing day 9. I am going to start taking my Zoloft every other day and see if that will help. But I am happy with my weight loss. Also I have read on a board about Zoloft that even after you stop taking it - it takes a long while for your body to adjust. Anyway keep it up on the Atkins I really beleive this will work. It really makes sense if you read his book. He even talks about Zoloft and other drugs like and the weight gain associated with them. Anyway try to drink your water- i found the 16.9 oz bottles best for me- and if you put them in the freezer for a while it is even better. Good Luck!!! Alicia
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 19:31

Stats: 143/135/125
BF:
Progress: 44%
Talking in agreement

I agree wholeheartly that my induction was slow and the pounds really didnt fly off but I did see a change in my inches..At present I have been on Atkins for 5 weeks now and have lost 9 lbs and at least 2 inches from the waist and hips..
I do drink at least 64 oz of water daily and do get in a 3 mile walk daily and find that this helps..I too would like the weight to come off faster but as was said here it didnt come on that fast and neither will it disappear that fast..keep smilin...Kim :
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 10:58

BF:
Question question

maybe someone here can answer my question...I posted earlier but now need to see if someone can help me...I have been on atkins now for 5 weeks and have opted to stay on induction for the 5 weeks as I seem to be really resistant..
My question is that I seem to be stalled both in lbs and inches and after reading and rereading atkins I think I may be at a plateau and need some thoughts as to what I may do to start weight loss again..I am excersizing as well as drinking at least 64 oz of water daily..Havent changed my diet or cheated at all but am getting miffed at the situation at hand
Any suggestions?????? Kim

Also by the posts am I to assume that I must be eating 20 carbs daily often I eat less carbs then this.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 11:45
Registered Member

Plan: atkins diet
Stats: 215/204/185 Male 6 feet
BF:unsure
Progress: 37%
Talking a newby to help a newby

wyk, yes you are suppose to come as close to 20 as you can without going over and those carbs should mostly come from your green leafy veggies. From what I see you are about 10lbs from your goal weight....congrats. We all know those seem like the hardest, longest, worst 10 too lose. If you REALLY get frustrated and you go a few more weeks without any results you may have to try the "fat fast" he talks about....I tried it when I did this diet before(it's not easy) and it got me over the hump.
Hope my 2 cents helps.
MIKE
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 12:08

BF:
Post mywyzard

thanks much mike...Will try what you said and hopefully I wont have to go to the fat fast as I have read about it and it doesnt sound exciting..Maybe the thought of having to go thru with that will make my metabolism have second thoughts about what we need to do

Thanks for the congrats I am encouraged by the results so far and this inspiration gives me the umph I need to keep going..

Have a great holiday weekend..and thanks again
Kim