Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 23:20

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224/217/159 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 11%
Wink Gotta love it!

Hi friends! I"ve been on Atkins now since April 26. The most important thing I've learned is that fat is a-o-k! How many diets and years were drilled into our heads that we needed to sway away from low-fat, or no-fat?

I must confess, I get tired of eggs and cheese and lots of meat everyday. In the Atkins Diet Revolution book, Dr. Atkins gives a list of good foods but still, I am now getting bored with eggs. Any suggestions besides the Atkins waffle mix?

I hit a plateau last week, but realized the health risks of obesity, high blood pressure, too much weight on the spine and skeletal system, & heart disease, were not worth continuing to overeat! So I stuck with the disappointing plateau and it broke this weekend. Now there are 14# less of me to love. Hooray! I would love to hear from any of you with suggestions for eating.

The low-carb chocs are so heavenly and satisfy my craving for chocolate! Yum!
Thanks to the webmasters and managers for creating this awesome site. We are all in this together, and I wish all of you the very best! ! Hugs, Annie-Pie

[QUOTE]Worry is a burden God never intended us to carry.[/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 01:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 158/146.4/138 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Welcome Anie-Pie!

This is a great place for support and advice, I've been a member for a week and am totally addicted and still exploring. Check out the recipe board for lots of great ideas. I know what you mean about eggs. When I'm on induction I just try to change them up as much as possible (scrambled, fried, hard boiled). You can also make tons of different omlettes if you think about it and get creative. Use different types of cheese, even ricotta, or alfredo sauce, and use different vegies every time. I also make fritatas where you mix vegies like spinach, broccoli, peppers, leeks, whatever, and whatever kind(s) of cheese you want with scrambled egges and cook it half way on the stove top, then put the whole pan in the oven under the broiler for like 45 secconds to get the gooey top to turn golden brown. You cut it into wedges like pie and it doesn't seem like the same ol' eggs. It is also good left over for a day or so. You can also make LC french toast or cinimon toast if you can get ahold of LC bread. Shakes are good if you can find a brand you like (check out the product reviews board). Well I hope that's a start.

Good luck, and let me know how you're doing!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 08:46

BF:

Thanks, Jamian! I'll give those a try. Never thought of alfredo sauce but I do have cream on hand.
That's just what I needed--fresh ideas!
~Annie
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 09:08

Stats: 240/184/140 Female 5ft 4 inches
BF:lost track
Progress: 56%
Default Watch out for LC bread

Be careful not to do LC bread or shakes if you are still on induction. These will throw you off. Stick to the plan. I have even gone as far as to have a hamburger for breakfast! It was good to switch up. I was really satisified on those days-now that I think about it...LOL! Remember that this phase is only temporary!
Once you are off induction you will have more options. Like adding full fat plain yogurt with a few berries is good. Another thing I enjoy is I found a sugar free/salt free p-nut butter that i like to add to the chocolate Atkins shake. ( I do shakes rarely)
I usually find myself licking the Pbutter off a spoon in the late afternoon. It kicks the cravings right in the butt. LOL.

Hope your breakfast doldrums leave soon.

Be blessed.
Tanya
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 09:51

BF:

Thanks to you, too, Tanya for the suggestions. I was wondering about the LC bread and must confess I bought the baking mix to make a load. I just about gag on that stuff. UGH!

My main question may really silly and it has nothing to do with sugar free jello, this thread, but here goes... (forgive my naiivete)...
The Diet revolution book I am reading has a list of induction foods. But I see no sample items. So it's hard for me to figure things out. So far Tanya, I've done really good (17# loss as of this morning since 4/26). But I wonder if it would be more if I would really, really stick to it (I often add a tiny amt of blueberries or strawberries to "lighten" my hi-fat menu).

Does anyone have any ideas for induction menu ? Bear with me, I will get the hang of this.
~hugs, Annie
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 10:00

BF:

Berries ar no good 'till after induction, but after that if you want to increase your carbs a little they are the perfect choice. You said you were using them to lighten your hi-fat menue, but what you want to do is the opposite. you need to teach your body how to utilize fat. It can't burn the fat on your body unless it is getting lots of fat in the diet too. People who have the toughest time loosing are recomended to have 70% of their diet from fat! I know it sounds wierd and feels wierd to eat so much fat after the media brainwashin us into low fat our whole lives, but Atkins really does work so stick with it!

Good luck, I know you're going to do great.

P.s. Have you started a journal yet? I didn't notice before I replied. It really helps to say what you're eating and feeling there and helps people give you personal support w/o searching for your threads.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 10:31

BF:
Cool

Jamian,
Thanks for your sharing your knowledge. I know it comes from you already doing that successfully. Like I said, if I would truly follow induction (which I still need a good sample menu of), just think how much more weight would come off besides the 17#.

What I meant by the berries is that I just simply **crave** a light taste, as in berries. Now I am beginning slowly to understand we do need fat to burn it off. So I will try hard to search the internet for sample induction menus.
The one thing I have noticed on Atkins is that I am not hungry!

As for a journal, I learned in WW that was the key to weight loss. But that was using the infamous point system which included lots of "low-fat" no-no's.
But now if I do a journal, it looks like I"m eating a lot because it's all high-fat foods. How can it help us on Atkins?
Thanks for your patience with me!
~Hugs, Annie-Pie

PS I had to put sunglasses on my smiley 'cuz it's just a beautiful, sunny day!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 13:16

BF:

Hey Annie,
The journal I'm talking about is a function on this forum. On the forum home page you go down almost to the bottom where it says "journals/bootcamp". You (being "Annie") would click on the A range and add a thread in that section. Then you can use the "reply" to keep adding entries. I find it really helpful to write down what you eat and how it makes you feel, you can look back on it and realize what foods might be causing stalls or cravings. I used to do this on paper anyway and now I'm starting to do it in here. It is also a place for friends to say "whats up" without searching for your normal threads.
As for the fat, that is just how Atkins works, you need to eat fat to burn fat, and it really fills you up so you don't actually eat that much. People usually end up eating less on Atkins than on low fat diets. You just need to get used to seeing cheese and stuff as regular menu items and not as "bad" from the low fat mentality.
Good luck!

Jamian
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 14:44

BF:
Smile

Jamian, Thanks for filling me in on how it works, and the benefits of it. I would think others could take a look at them too and probably help us figure out where we end up stalling. Thanks and I"ll give it a try soon.
~Annie-Pie~