Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 12:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/252/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%
Unhappy Can u stand another post about frustration??

I am trying so hard not to be frustrated...3 weeks of induction and a mere 8 pounds -- all lost withing the first 4 days. Nothing since then.

I know I am supposed to focus on the overall affects and not just the weight loss, but come on...considering all the junk I cut out and I am eating healthier than ever, I expected to do much better. I've been reading this forun everyday, and in doing so have managemd my expectations. But I read that people are losing 15-20 puonds in the first few inductions weeks and I get frustrated, I realize that after induction the weight loss will slow down, but how can it slow down when it is NOTHING right now.

There's my vent for the morning. I am not planning to throw in the towel, since I am feeling 100% better than I have in years since eliminating the sugar and processed food from my life. And I continue to have very few cravings. I am finding that I was more of a lazy grazing eater -- not much at any one meal, but my hands in something that was readily available all day long. When I am not making or buying the stuff that facilitated that habit, I really don't have that problem. I seem to be able to forego the bad stuff even if it is there, as long as it is put or thrown away after meals.

Last night Avril (friend who lives with me) made au gratin potatoes, and this morning the leftovers were still sitting on the counter. I almost - out of sheer habit - grabbed a spoon and dug in, but I stopped and remembered was no longer doing that. I then remnded her that I can't handle those types of foods being left out (if it's in the fridge it's not a temptation) I will most likely dump them out. I thought that showed excellent resolve on my part.

Given my frustration with how the weight loss process has been going however, I am going to make some modifications this week to see if I can see a difference.

-I will completely eliminate all LC products, even though I eat very few to begin with. No more LC ice cream bars, shakes, bars (I'm glad I don't really like them), or candy.

-I will eliminate aspartame completely. This has only been an issue in terms of diet sodas, even though I THOUGHT that TAB had only saccharin. I just found out the other day that it also has aspartame. Guess I will go in search of Diet Rite products. This will also eliminate the caffiene too, which shouldn't be a problem since I don't drink coffee and have only one can of soda a day anyway.

-I will eliminate the Mock Danish and Mock French Toast for this week. I don't know if they have an effect or not, but they were habit forming and I don't need that.

-I will stay away from pork rinds except for use as occasional breading for chicken.

-I will eat all of the required vegetables (and then some) every day. I know I am not getting 20 net carbs a day which could be one of the problems. To make this easier, I will spread them out throughout the day so I don't feel like I have so much to eat at dinner.

-I will remove the nots I had added in last week -- primarily sunflower seeds and almonds. I do find them to be very satisfying, but also tempting to over indulge on. I may miss the fiber I get from them though.

-I will reduce the use of Splenda and Cream cheese - should be easy with the elimination of Mock Danish.

I'm sure there is more I could do, but I don't think I could keep track. If anyone has any other suggestions, I'd be happy to entertain them. I want to remain committed and am willing to spend some time in trial and error to get it right.

Jenn

My Fitday
http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/Public...Owner=AZ%2DJenn
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 12:26

Stats: 148.5/137/130 Female 64 in
BF:27.2
Progress: 62%

You seem to have a good grasp of how to boost your weight loss. Do you follow the carb ladder for OWL. I know it doesn't seem like much but it really does help once you get off of induction. Also how about your water? Are you drinking enough. I find that when I drink more water it seems weight comes off faster. I aim for 10 to 11 glasses a day. Are you exercising? So important. If you are maybe you can add an extra 5-10 minutes a couple of times a week. I am glad to see that you are going to hang in there. You seem to have good willpower. Hang in there it will get easier. Good luck!!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 12:33

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/165/135 Female 5ft4
BF:
Progress: 54%

ok, like, 8 pounds is a really good loss. remember when you've tried low fat diets and you'd only lose like 8lbs in a year?

first, get rid of the myth that you're going to lose EVERY DAY. you're not. it's not gonna happen. there are a lucky few out there that lose like 14lbs in 14 days, but it's NOT FOR EVERYONE. not everyone loses like that.

not to mention, it WILL take time for your body to catch up. you did lose 8lbs quickly, after all, right?? your body is like 'woa, what's up with THIS change? this is totally a NEW thing!! i'm gonna have to get used to this'.

this diet is not a quick fix, nor will you lose a pound every single day. it's not gonna happen. i'm sorry about being blunt, but it's just not gonna happen. it's a healthy way of life and you will eventually get your weight off, but you can't expect your body to lose a pound a day. unless you have a low thyroid, it will eventually come off. your body will generally stall the third week after induction. maybe even for a couple of weeks.

as i said. remember how long it took to lose even one measly pound on a low fat diet? you just dropped 8lbs in a WEEK. that is GOOD.

sorry for sounding so blunt, and i hope not to rude, and congrats for making the changes. that alone is a big step. hang in there, it will come off, just give it time.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 12:41
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I had pretty dismal induction results too. Going to OWL and cutting back on the calories and I'm managing a respectable .5 pound a week loss.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 12:42

Stats: 273.5/236.0/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 33%

Dear Az-Jenn:

One thing I have learned is that it is a big misconception that everyone loses fast on this WOE. There are so many variables that can affect your weightloss including what you were doing before you started and in fact your history of trying to lose weight.

Stop, stop, stop focusing on the numbers - too many of us focus on the numbers as if something magical will happen when we reach the right number - like maybe you can stop worrying about watching everything you put into your mouth. If we can't stick with this for a month or two why bother trying to do it all since the reality is, trite as it may sound, if it isn't going to be a way of life, it can be a heck of a lot of work for some short term reward.

You have a good start - I only lost 6 pounds in induction, then took an entire 6 weeks to lose another 4 pounds. I am in week 11 - about two and half weeks ago I decided to look at all kinds of things to see if there was something I could do to increase my loss to more than .5 or so a week - wtih 100 pounds to lose that is not an outrageous expectation.

For me, for now, I have to watch calories and carbs. It's more work, but I have seen some good results. I consider myself lucky that I can eat ~ 1800 calories a day and see a couple of pounds a week lost (I'm up to 18.5 in 11 weeks). Do I wish it were more - - of course I do! Do I know if I went low cal low fat it WOULD be more - of course I do. What else I know is this- been there done that hope I don't have to do it again which is why I have completely re-adjusted my eating, my knowledge about nutrition, my body and how I think this should work.

Hang in there - adjust all the things you indicated below - but give some thought to how you are approaching this mentally and you might be surprised at what you learn.

Last advice - keep coming back - the people here are remarkable and kind and incredibly knowledgeable - not including myself - I rely on these guys for all kinds of things!

PecanPie
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 12:44

BF:

I hadn't really wanted to leave induction yet, although it is possible that the very low level of carbs is not working well for me. I have a little fear about moving up the carb levels -- mostly because of control issues.

I am drinking plenty of water - always more than 8 glasses -- generally in the 9-12 range. I have been wanting more water lately, so it has been easy to get it all in.

As far as exercise -- I haven't been doing much (actually for a long time) since I have arthritis in my hip and most exercise with any impact at all is extremely painful. I do have a Gazelle which I KNOW I should begin working into my day.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 13:05
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

My 2 cents...

You may be much like me. If I eat salty foods I retain water weight like mad, sausage, ham, pork rinds... I blow up like a balloon. Also, I can't eat more than 1,500 to 1,700 and still lose, even when I'm working out like I should (which I need to improve on). I think cutting out the cream cheese, reducing the salt and upping the veggies would do the trick.

Good luck!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 13:07

BF:

Thanks for all the quick replies -- I guess I was posting again at the same time so I missed a few.

First of all I want to say that although I have not posted much, I read every day and have learned SO much from everyone.

I DO realize I will not have daily weight loss which is why I stopped weighing every day and have vowed to stick with weekly at the most. But I guess I was hoping that I could see just a little movement after waiting patiently for a week. I would have been thrilled with half to 1 pound. I guess it's not that I expect to lose at a super fast rate, but I would like even a tiny reward for my huge efforts to change my lifestyle completely.

As I said earlier, I FEEL better now than I have in years. My insomnia problem is gone and I don't require a nap (or 2) every day. I also don't have the cravings which I was sure I would continue to have. So I definitely see all the other good things that are happening besides weight loss.

I also think there may be something to the calorie AND carb watching for me. I just don't know quite what that perfect calories level is for me yet. One site said my BMR was between 1800-1900 calories. But the 10-12X rule would put me at 2500+ calories. I don't think I could even eat that much in a day. In Fitday, my average calories for the past 3 weeks is 1815 (72% fat/3% carbs/25% Protein). Minus the fiber, I have only averages 15 net carbs, which I know is too low. My calorie intake is fairly spread out, going between 1450 to about 2400.

Thanks again for all the support (and blunt honesty too ). I'm cool with all of it.

Jenn
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 13:29
Slowly I turn

Plan: Atkins restart 3-17-10
Stats: 195.5/170.6/135 Female 5'5
BF:48%/37%/20%
Progress: 41%

Hi, I just wanted to let you know that I have been LCing for 20 days and as of yesterday, I have only officially lost 3.5 lbs. I have not cheated. I did lose an inch in my biceps....which makes me think that I am losing some muscle but maybe not. BUT, I'm not giving up, the scale not moving does not mean that I should go carb crazy. It means I need to have more patience and keep going. I feel better...No hunger, no cravings...that is the best part! When on Weight watchers or similar diet, that is all I thought about...WHat can I eat next? Now, I have to remember to eat sometimes.... Stay the course. GOOD Luck, you are doing this for your health and well being!