Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-17-03, 15:49
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 304/146/144 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 99%
Default Coconut Oil

After reading the posts on this board about coconut oil I'm going to start taking it every day for a week and see what happens. Sounds like a good way to up my fat intake, it's hard to find fatty enough meat.

By the way this is my first post on this board, I'm a 41 year old woman, this is my 13th day of induction, I've lost 7.5 pounds so far and have been totally clean. I'm not having any trouble sticking with the food plan, I'm so pleased to have found this WOE.

About the coconut oil, I was wondering how people are taking it. Just using it as fat for frying or just taking it by the tablespoon or what? I mixed some with pure cocoa and a bit of splenda and a scant dash of salt and then filled mini muffin cups and let it solidify. Each one is about a tablespoon in quantity and it tastes so good! I don't know if you have "icy squares" and "icy cups" where you are (they're chocolates that hit the stores around Christmas), but my cocoa/coconut oil concoction tastes exactly like them. YUM!! It's the first sweet thing I've tasted in 13 days, it's pretty good!

Last edited by micromini : Sat, May-17-03 at 15:51.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-17-03, 18:00

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 283/238.0/160 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 37%
Default icy squares??

dear micro,
im from canada (been living in the us for a couple of years) and was wondering if u could give me exact quantities for the coconut oil squares, i saw some posting yesterday so i bought some cocnut oil today, tried to make a salad dressing with some and it was a complete disaster, mixed some into some heavy whipping cream and some splenda to make like a mock coconut cream pie, that one was not so bad, if u have any more ideas as to how to use it i would appreciate it,

a fellow canadian!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-17-03, 18:36
Registered Member

Stats: 227/184/135
BF:
Progress: 47%

Any suggestions for purchasing coconut oil? Brands? Is this found in health food stores?

"The secret of life is enjoying the passing of time." James Taylor
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-17-03, 20:04

Stats: 235/180.2/175 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%
Smile

I would love your recipe too and would like to know where to purchase coconut oil. I went to a near by health food store and they didn't have it. I also tried a market that specializes in specialty items and they didn't have it either. Please help.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-17-03, 20:19

Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...threadid=105965

Take a look at this recent thread and its links. Should give you a good bit of information.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-17-03, 21:21
Registered Member

Stats: 304/146/144 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 99%

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies. The coconut oil I used I found at my local health food store, it's a 15 oz plastic jar and the brand name is Spectrum Essentials (www.spectrumorganic.com). It has no preservatives and the only ingredient is 100% refined coconut oil. It is of course solid at room temp. The directions for use are only as a topical skin and hair conditioner but since it's 100% pure with no additives I figured there was no problem with eating it. It's deordorized.

As for the recipe, unfortunately I just kind of added the cocoa and splenda to taste but this would be my best guess:

- 1/2 cup liqufied coconut oil
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1 - 2 tbls. splenda
- scant dash salt

I will warn you, the splenda doesn't seem to want to dissolve even if you heat the coconut oil till it's hot. I had more luck with a bit of powdered stevia and I felt better about using it as well because I know it doesn't impact on my blood sugar. So, in my first attempt at making this I see that the splenda that I added just kind of stayed on top of each of the "chocolates", I don't think the salt dissolved either.

Another warning: this is the first time I've eaten splenda, cocoa or coconut oil on this WOE and I notice I'm having trouble with cravings today since I had this. I don't know which of the three ingredients are causing the problem, I think maybe in my case the splenda and the cocoa are probably the most suspect. Anyway, just thought I would mention this. Cocoa isn't on the approved food list for induction so I really have no business trying it anyway. I'm kind of regretting it, I had a clean induction before I did this but oh well, I'll just keep on keeping on. If any of you try it let me know what you think!

Other ways to use it, I was thinking I could just replace it for butter that I would be using in anything as long as I add salt, I think it would be about the same idea. I got a recipe for flax meal cereal (to keep me regular) on another board and I think I'll replace the butter in that with coconut oil. If you want that recipe here it is:

- 1/4 cup flax seed meal
- 1/8 cup whole flax seeds (because I like to chew them up)
- 1/3 scoop vanilla protein mix (no carb)
- 1/2 cup purified water
- dash salt

microwave until it grows (happens very fast, take it out as soon as it starts to swell), stir and mic it again until it grows a bit again (don't mic too long because excessive heat also kills the good stuff in the flax seed oil). Take it out and add 2 tbls. butter. This cereal is very gooey but I really like it and it does the trick. Sometimes I put a tbls. of heavy cream in it as well. I only eat about a third of this recipe each day and I save the rest. The next day it's pretty solid so you have to add a dash of water and mic is briefly again. Also, make sure to drink LOTS of water while using this porridge or it might make matters worse.

Last edited by micromini : Sat, May-17-03 at 21:26.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 05:50
Registered Member

Stats: 225/215/130
BF:
Progress: 11%

Thanks, Micromini, for the really great information!
I shall put it to good use.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 07:19

Stats: 235/180.2/175 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%
Thumbs up

Yes, thank you. Sounds yummy.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 13:21

Plan: atkins
Stats: 218/205/155
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Isn't coconut oil saturated fat and bad for you?

I seem to remember that coconut oil was really bad for your body and something to keep away from. Am I totally lost? Thanks
  #10   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 13:23

Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Take a look at this thread in the nutrion/supplements forum:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...threadid=106244