Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-17-03, 18:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 239/230/200
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default Quick Question

I am confused on the Keytones on the Atkins Diet. Are the Keytones from the Urine Samples supposed to be "Negative" or are they Supposed to be "Large".

Please let me know.

Horf!N
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-17-03, 20:36

Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

On the strips I have seen, anything but negative (no trace) is good. Dosen't matter what color it is light to dark, as long as it is not negative you are in ketosis!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-17-03, 21:07

Stats: 239/230/200
BF:
Progress: 23%

Thanks for the response. That is a bummer. I have been doing this 6 days. Lost 7 pounds the first day and 3 the second. And have been plus or minus a pound each successive day, basically a total of 10 pounds. I did the first ketosis test and it was negative, very disappointing. I have made major diet changes, the most difficult of which was giving up Coca-Cola. I was having the equivalent of 8-10 12oz cans a day, now I have none. I've done the cheese, meat, ect thing and was hoping that I had achieved "ketosis". Apparently not.

My wife and mother-inlaw have tried it too and both are negative. And neither of them have lost anything.

Thanks again for the repsonse.

Bill
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 02:26
CAD for life

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 193/163.5/125 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default Don't be down

wow you have lost 10 pounds in 6 days that is awesome...You know I wouldn't get too worked up over the ketosticks....if you feel good and you are losing weight why stress over the sticks...some people lose lots of weight without ever turning the sticks for whatever reason...also if the sticks are exposed to high heat, high humidity or are too old they also will not read accurately!!!

If I were you i would re-read the induction section...be sure you are following it to a T and if you are relax.....You are doing great!!!

As for your wife and mother in law sometimes you wont see weightloss right off the bat I lost 4 pounds at the end of 7 days and had lost 0 at 5days...I lost another 5 at the end of another 7 days.....just try not to get too worried because 10 pounds in 6 days is great!!!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 05:01
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/froggirl hodgepodge of hope! lol
Stats: 180/158/120
BF:
Progress: 37%

Don't let the keto sticks bum you out. I am almost quoting something from another post. So whoever it was... Ketones only register in urine when you have enough to "spill over into the urine". So you CAN be in ketosis and not "register" on the sticks. Also, the sticks are very delicate if they have been exposed to heat or moisture that effects results too..Along with a million other things I am sure..

If your loosing weight it's working!