Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-25-03, 19:41
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 164/157/145
BF:
Progress: 37%
Default Vanilla extract?

I know that mock danish can stall people, but I was thinking of skipping the AS and just using eggs, cream cheese, heavy cream and cinnamon. It's an easy breakfast, that I enjoy on my work days. Does anyone have an opinion on using vanilla?

Can someone explain why an insulin triggering food in a small amount can throw off the whole day (I'm not being a smart ~ss here, honest!)? I am still having a bit of sweetener in my 15 minute decaf in the morning, could this really stall my weight loss?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 04:11
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

I think mock danish has too much fat for CAD. That combined with the AS stalls people. The carbs in vanilla extract would be negligible.

If you're losing weight fine. If you're not, lose the mock danish.

Some of these things depend on age. Someone less than 30 can tolerate more, has more elastic in the rules.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 12:28

Plan: south beach (CAD)
Stats: 314/284/150 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:49
Progress: 18%

"Can someone explain why an insulin triggering food in a small amount can throw off the whole day (I'm not being a smart ~ss here, honest!)"

Cad depends on the intricate balance of hormones in the body. Anything that causes insulin to release (Carbs, As etc) starts a cycle that can last through the day. Causing the insulin to be released, creates an insulin spike. As Carb adedicts we have a problem with the frequent release of insulin, our bodies become insulin resistant, which makes it hard for our cells to change food into energy. If this doesn't happen you don't lose weight. In additiion the body sends out another hormone in response to the insulin that causes the linsulin levels to drop. When insulin levels drop your body feels hungry generally, but for carbs in particular.

Cad tries to prevent this cycling from happening for most of the day. It makes our bodies burn food more efficiently, while maintaining fairly steady insulin levels through the day-making you feel less hungry and reducing carb cravings. So that is it in a nutshell.

Keep the CM's simple-protein and a vegie. I avoid cheese and dairy at CM's, I also avoid AS including diet soda. You may react differently to these, but as soon as I start with the "recipes" (multi-ingredient food)-I stall. And speaking as the pork rind queen-beware them-they are high in salt and can stall you!!!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 13:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 297/264.5/180 Female 5'8
BF:3rd/attempt/toLC
Progress: 28%

TeresaRM I had the same question before...

I have been going through the old posts in this forum and finding lots of helpful information its good to have reminders!

Take Care
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 18:07

Plan: CAD + South Beach Diet
Stats: 230/177/160
BF:
Progress: 76%

caders do not respond the same way to all foods. a small amount of bread my lead to cravings for more bread or more carbs.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 22:47
CAD for life

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 193/163.5/125 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 43%

sugar is a killer for me...real ice cream can set off a binge. MSG at CM or RM can set off a crave fest

bread, starches and potatoes, rice at RM no problems no out of control eating but real sugar at more than a rare RM...oh no watch out
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 14:35

Plan: Keto
Stats: 176/142.2/130 Female 5' 4"
BF:41%/33%/??
Progress: 73%

Just my 2 cents worth: I have no problem with cheese, I eat it daily and continue to lose weight slowly but surely.