Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 09:17

Plan: CAD
Stats: 165/161/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default Heavy Cream Question...

Hi Everyone,

I've been lurking without posting in this forum for a while now, but I have a big question. Fit day says that 1 cup of heavy cream is 6.64 grams of carbohydrates. Every carton of heavy cream I go to buy, though, says that 1 cup of heavy cream is 16 grams of carbs. (Because it says 1 tablespoon is 1 g of carbs and there are 16 tablespoons in a cup).

Is it true that heavy cream only has 6.64 grams of carbs in a cup? I don't know wheather to believe fit day or to believe the carton of heavy cream.

Thank you very much for your help.

=)
Stacie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 09:27

Plan: Maintenence-Atkins
Stats: 160/129/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 155%

I think they vary actually. One brand I buy from my local grocery store has .6 per 2 Tbls....making it 4.8 carbs per cup. Another brand I buy at Walmart says 1g per 2 Tbls making that 8 carbs per cup. I never know either, so I just go by the .6 per 2 Tbls. most of the time. I guess the best way is just go by the label on what you buy....if it says 0 carbs, use the .6 per serving.
Vicky
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 09:31
This is the year

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/186.8/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

There are 0.8 g carbs in every 2 tbsp of heavy whipping cream and 1 g carbs in every 2 tbsp of half & half. This makes about 6.4 g carbs in a cup of heavy, and about 8 g carbs in a cup of 1/2 & 1/2.
When the food industry lists carb counts, if the grams are above a certain number but less than 1, they round up to one. Sometimes if it is less than 1, they will even round down to zero!!

I would double check the serving size listed on your package - every package I have ever bought has listed 2 tbsp as the serving size, and 1 g for carb count. Also check the ingredients and make sure they didn't add anything. I don't know why they would but that could be a reason for listing a higher carb count.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 11:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

The actual count for 1 tbsp. is somewhere between 0 and 1. They will sometimes round up. That is when you see the 1g listed and sometimes, they round down...in which case you see 0g listed. Both the cream which lists 1g and the one that lists 0g have the exact smae number of calories, fat calories, and protein.

Normally a package will read:

Calories: 45
Fat Calories: 40
Fat: ?
Carbs: 0g
Protein: 0g

That means 5 calories come from either carbs or protein. I know cream contains some protein. So, they don't all come from carbs. Both numbers have been rounded off to zero. In some cases, they may have been rounded off to 1g, which would show too few calories for the contents.