Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 17:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 209/193/165
BF:
Progress: 36%
Question UK equivelent to one cup please

How big a cup is one cup? In Engand what's our equivelent measurement. I've been working on how much food weighs, but I keep coming up against this one. Could anyone advise me. Thanks!!

SebastienC
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 18:38
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Sebastien,

According to this site 1 US cup is nearly 240 mL.

HTH!

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 01:44

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%
Question

Sebastian

I have given up on US cups, although I have brought a set of cup measures myself. That site that Rosebud refers to also says that:

1 cup [US] = 8.326742 ounce [UK, liquid]

If you have a measuring jug, then you can fill it up to the appropriate number of fluid ounces, with solid or liquid.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 04:03

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%
Default UK /US

It is always said that everything is bigger in the US. True......EXCEPT liquid measurement.

A fluid ounce in US is the same as UK. An oz in weight is the same.

We also agree that 1 fluid oz = 1 oz weight. But there it ends.

For some reason the UK has decided that a 1 pint = 20 fluid oz.
Whereas in the USA perhaps more logical 1 pint = 1 pound (16oz)

It is therefore easier for the US to interchange fluid and weight in the same measurement... a cup . The cup of water is half an american pint and weighs half an american pound.

We have gone metric just to confuse things. But usefully 1ml liquid weighs 1 gram. For liquids therfore 1 fluid ounce is aprox. 28ml and weighs approx 28grams.

So much for liquids.

Dry goods go completely out the window. Cauliflower does not seem to flow as nicely as tea. And my rocket salad does not seem to weigh as much as a cup of sugar!. Even loose goods that "pour" are different. 1 cup of flour weighs 5 ounces (140g) but 1 cup of granulated sugar weighs 6.75 ounces(200g).

The only thing to do is to get a measuring jug and let 225mls equal one cup and 450mls (close to half a litre) equal 2 cups and see how much you can fit in. I would not dream of telling you what to do with bananas and carrots!

Last edited by rustpot : Fri, Feb-28-03 at 04:22.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 03:00

Stats: 212/212/130
BF:
Progress: 0%
Lightbulb I speak as a displaced Yank now living in the UK

In US cooking terms
1 cup = 8 oz
1 pint = 16 oz

nothing is ever weighed in US, therefore, when a recipe calls for a cup of any ingredient, whether it be liquid, dry, or semi-solid (eg butter), the ingredient is measured up to the one cup mark in your measuring cup. For convenience, liquid ingredients are measured in a pouring jug (Pyrex et al), and dry/semi-solid ones are levelled off in those scoop-style cups now found in plentiful supply in this country.

If you want an easy life, when using American recipes, have to hand a measuring jug, a set of measuring cups (and spoons!), and something to level off the excess and don't even contemplate looking at your scales....we Americans never grasped the concept of actually weighing our ingredients
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 04:26
CAD for life

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 193/163.5/125 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default WoW

I didn't know that in the UK you weigh the ingredents...even like flour and water and peanut butter huh??

Well of course not flour now since we are low carb...and peanut butter only if your off induction