Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 10:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 198/194/150 Female 63"
BF:over 30%
Progress:
Default Hidden Carbs

Hi there,
I have a question about hidden carbs. I read the articles on this site about the hidden carbs and became concerned about them. There are alot of low-carb products on the market today from the protein bars to candy bars, including Atkins products. Now, this past weekend I had some of these products and stayed to my 20 carbs, going by the Net Carbs that was on the labels. One of the products I used was Atkins frying batter with chicken. Well, I gained two pounds come Monday and it took till today to get it off. In doing the formula in the article these other carbs that they say don't count, count. I'm wondering if these products are really as low- carb as they say they are.
What do you think?????

Thanks for any help,
Yunie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 10:40
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins-Modified (TKD)
Stats: 263/245/210 Male 75 inches
BF:31%/25%/10%
Progress: 34%

Net Carbs are basically carbs that don't have a large effect on your blood sugar. That is why you can subtract fiber and sugar alchol from your carb counts.

That said, sugar alchols have different effects on different people. Some people can eat Splenda type products with no problems, while in other people that can stop wieght loss.

Looking at the Atkin's Fry mix information on the Aktin's Website, it looks ok offhand, but there are other factors that could be effecting your weight gain.

What phase of Atkin's are you in right now? How long have you been on it?
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 12:36

Progress:

Thanks Tampa..baa for your reply.

I restarted Atkins 9/29/03 and I'm in the induction phase. I did Atkins in 1995 and had lost 95 pounds over a 2 year period. I slowly gained it all back and have been slowly taking it off since 2000 when I was up to 245. I've done different diet plans the past 3 years, even Meridia. So last weekend was the first weekend back on Atkins. I should also mention that last Friday night I did have the toppings off of 3 large slices of pizza and half of a steak combo sub(no bread). I realize that sodium was very high in those choices!!!!
I appreciate any insight, thanks...

Yunie
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 15:03
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins-Modified (TKD)
Stats: 263/245/210 Male 75 inches
BF:31%/25%/10%
Progress: 34%

Hopefully one of the senior members will happen by, but offhand I suggest staying away from the Atkin's fry stuff during the induction phase and stick to basic whole foods on the induction list. While some of the Atkin's products say Phase-1 Induction, I would still be wary of them during the inital phase. I would also watch the cheese intake, which was really hard for me during induction!

Hope that helps a little!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 15:15
Carb Nazi

Stats: 260/255/160 Male 6'0
BF:YES!
Progress: 5%

Yunie:

I have not had much luck with the "it has a lot of carbs but only count it as 2 carbs" foods. Except for the Atkins pancakes, the bread, the bars, and the drinks always throw me out of ketosis.
I agree with Tampa-baa... especially in induction, stick to the allowed whole foods. After that, test each one, see if you are in ketosis, and determine what you can eat and can't. Good luck... mad
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 18:21
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

More than likely it was the sodium making you retain water. I'd agree with a "clean" induction, then slowly add those products back if you still really want them. Often you wont. I loved my Keto Bars, and thought they were better because they have fewer sugar alcohols if any, but cut them out for a while just because they got expensive. Guess what? I picked one up, and not only did it not taste as good to me, I wasn't able to finish it in one sitting... odd, since I used to scarf one down and want another. I don't buy any bars anymore now, unless I'm really stuck for something to eat while shopping.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 05:24

Plan: My own plan!
Stats: 176/163/135 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 32%

Yunie

The bars are evil! I stayed in ketosis while eating about 2 Advantage bars a day, but they made me crave real sugar, processed foods and big time carb loaded foods! They actually made me go off the Atkins lifestyle after 4 strict months and great success! This week I started induction again (2nd time in my life) for the last time and this time no bars, s/f candy or treats with sugar alc! The only time I would ever recommend using them is maybe in Ongoing Weight Loss if you have a major need for a treat. But beware because it will make you crave everything. You will undo all of the hard work!

P.S. I think that there is a recipe on this site on how to use crushed pork rinds for a batter mix. That would be much better than using Atkins products. I can't believe they market that stuff to us when it causes stalls and people to go off this lifestyle!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 05:33
Registered Member

Plan: Adkins-->South Beach
Stats: 266.5/225/130 Female 63"
BF:54%/46%/28%
Progress: 30%

Why don't you try avoiding that stuff for a while and eating 'real' food. I found that I got used to it and actually like it better. Now all bars taste yukky to me.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 11:42

Progress:

Thanks everyone. I have been only eating "real food" and we'll see if that does the trick!!!!

Yunie
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 15:13

Stats: 233/226/170 Male 5'8
BF:
Progress: 11%
Cool steak-ums

hi everybody!
i'm a newbie to this site an in just one day i learned alot from you guys.
I cant help but to agree about the atkins products throwing you out of ketosis. it happened to me .
I also lost the taste for the atkins bars as well. the first time i ate one i was in love with in two weeks i could'nt finish one.they just seemed like pure sugar and make me nausos(i cant spell that word).cant touch them.

Now it's only fair that i leave a helpful tip for the rest of you. Keep a box or two of steak-ums in your freezer. the brand doesnt matter cause they're all the same. i just buy the cheapest of the big box. they are great to have on hand for when you dont feel like cooking and are easy to make.I like to cook four and make two stacks of two.put a slice of muenster cheese on each stack then fold them over.then i saute' some mushrooms and onions and dump it over the mushrooms and wala! fast food for a king.
Also, a great alternative to bacon. steak-ums again. i make an omelete with 2 steakums on top and cover with shredded chedder cheese or muenster. notice the ingreadiants to steak-um? there are none.its just very finely ground beef. be creative and see if you can come up with a recipe. i'll be waiting.
good luck everybody!