Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 12:56

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/180/150
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default what...is a salad?

Probably this is in the archives somewhere, and I've been looking for it for days. I apologize for asking a redundant question, if it is redundant.

I've been on Induction for a while, and I am sick to death of any form of lettuce. I want to stay in the spirit of this, but can't stand lettuce anymore.

So the question is "what is a salad"? and the followup is.."why are we eating 2 salads a day?" I mean I can incorporate a pile o veggies into any meal, easily...even the legal induction ones. I just can't handle much more lettuce.

help, please?

the ktty
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 13:20

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Ktty...

I don't think there is any law that says you have to eat 2 cups of lettuce every day. As long as you are staying around 20 grams of carb per day, you can have any combintation of legal veggies that you like.
If you've been on induction for a while, perhaps it's time to start moving into the ongoing weight loss phase where you can have a bit more variety? Just a thought.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 13:33

Stats: 200/180/150
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default response to the tigger lady

I read in Atkins that you can run induction on as long as you feel well physically, and I feel pretty grand. *grin*

I'm holding at induction as long as I can because I want to make sure the carb cravings are dead and gone. My first two weeks were horrible.....baaaad cravings.

Thanks for your advice

The Ktty
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 16:09

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 245/240/190 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 9%

One thing that helped me on my anti-lettuce days was celery and cream cheese. Or any other veg that falls under that salad veg list that is firm and can hold a bit of cream cheese or tuna/ chicken salad.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 16:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 181/159/130
BF:
Progress: 43%

I'm not much for lettuce either unless it's doused in dressing, so I've been eating other vegetables in its place. I usually eat broccoli, cauliflower, tomato, cucumbers, onion, zucchini, squash, as long as they are listed in the book as legal, I'll eat it. I know the book says 2/3 cups veggies and 2 cups salads, but I've been averaging about 3 cups of other veggies per day and it hasn't given me any problems as far as losing weight. Plus I think it helps to move my bowels better that way.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 17:13

Stats: 250/202/145
BF:
Progress: 46%

When I was a kid, my mom use to make a cucumber salad. It was sliced cucumbers, sour cream and fresh dill. This may be a good change of pace for you.

I also eat asparagus at least once of week instead of a salad. If I have time I make hoolandaise sause with it. YUM!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 18:54

Plan: my own
Stats: 149/150/130 Female 159cm
BF:30%/27%/18%
Progress: -5%

I have found that all asian greens taste good if they are fresh, chopped up instead of lettuce, and they are much more nutritious than lettuce and MUCH tastier!

Last edited by Jezebel : Sun, Feb-09-03 at 18:55.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 19:46
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/BodyRx
Stats: 209/169/150 Female 67 inches
BF:43%/32%/24%
Progress: 68%

I've been on Atkins for five weeks and am still keeping my carbs around 20-25 grams. I have a traditional "salad" every few days, but most of the time I just eat whatever legal veggies I feel like. I track it all on fitday.com and just make sure my total carbs are around the right place. I often have 3 cups of legal veggies in one day and no salad veggies at all!

If you're sick of salad... I'd say just go ahead and stop eating it for a few days. Just make sure you eat other veggies instead. And I highly recommend tracking everything on fitday. After a while you get a really good sense of how much is enough.

Good luck!

PS: I second the celery & cream cheese idea. I eat that nearly every day as a snack. Yum.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 06:39

Plan: MOP
Stats: 169/159/135
BF:45%/42%/ 35%
Progress: 29%

Thanks for the tip on the cream cheese and celery for a snack. I just started a few days ago and am loving it so far. So nice to have a little mayo on my asparagus. I love salads with vinaigrette, especially, so eating them often isn't a problem for me
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 07:01

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Try different flavoured cream cheeses, too

Philly has onion and chive, or herb, smoked salmon...for some variety. I also use cucumber slices in place of crackers (spread with cream cheese, top with egg/tuna salad)
N.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-03, 11:13
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

How about some raw spinach with ceasar or blue cheese dressing, or make a greek salad using spinach as the greens. I hate lettuce but its a great excuse for eating lots of yummy dressings
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-03, 17:35
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

Ok, you have to be careful and MEASURE how much you use, but I enjoy celery with natural peanut butter or sunflower nut butter. As long as I'm careful to count the carbs and not overdo the nuts each day, that's one of my favorite snacks.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 09:30
Registered Member

Stats: 141/135/120
BF:
Progress: 29%
Lightbulb Greek Salad (ala CC)

We get really burnt out on salads too, but a great salad is cucumbers (peeled, cut lengthwise, scrape out seeds) a little chopped bell pepper, red onion, celery, tomato, then oil and dash of balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper (or cavender's greek seasoning! if you got it) and top with feta cheese crumbles.

You can delete any of the ingredients probably except the cucumbers, but it's really delish and nice change of pace.
Seems like it goes just about with every dish especially a juicy pork loin.

Best of luck,

cc
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 09:41
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%
Default Induction allowed veggies

Sautee, stir fry, smother them in cheese or butter, dip in high fat dressings or dips...

BUT ALWAYS REMEMBER YOU NEED TO EAT NATURAL FIBER!

You can have two to three cups per day of:

alfalfa sprouts, daikon, mushrooms, arugula, endive, parsley, bok choy, escarole, peppers, celery, fennel, radicchio, chicory, jicama, radishes, chives, lettuce, romaine lettuce, cucumber, māche, sorrel

These salad vegetables are high in phytonutrients and provide a good source of fiber.

You can have one cup per day of these veggies if salad does not exceed two cups. The following vegetables are slightly higher in carbohydrate content than the salad vegetables:

artichoke, celery root, pumpkin, artichoke hearts, rhubarb, asparagus, chard, sauerkraut, bamboo shoots, collard greens,
scallions, dandelion, snow peas, bean sprouts, dandelion greens,
spaghetti squash, beet greens, eggplant, spinach, broccoli,
hearts of palm, string or wax beans, broccoli rabe, kale, summer squash, brussels, kohlrabi, tomato, bean sprouts, leeks, turnips,
cabbage, okra, water chestnuts, cauliflower, onion, zucchini

If a vegetable, such as spinach or tomato, cooks down significantly, it must be measured raw so as not to underestimate its carb count.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 09:46

Stats: 200/189/140
BF:
Progress: 18%

Just a note about cream cheese. At Walmart yesterday I started to pick up the "store brand" that was on sale for .87 but noticed that it had 2 grams for the same serving at the Philly brand that was $1.17.
I am sticking with Philly of course...would rather pay a bit more for the good stuff!