Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-09-11, 14:54

Plan: Atkins Induction... AGAIN
Stats: 160/160/120 Female 5ft 4in
BF:41
Progress: 0%
Default How many Net Carbs a day on Phase 1?

From what I remember from reading the book, it says to aim for 18-20 NC a day, including cheese, cream, sweetners etc.

Is this right? Im back on the wagon tomorrow and want to make sure I am getting it right.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-10-11, 05:23

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Yes, the only bit you didn't mention was that "most" of the up to 20 net carbs according to DANDR are supposed to come from the up to 3 cups of vegetables, so if you choose only lettuce you will need to be severely restricting your cream, eggs, cheese, sweeteners etc in order to get more net carbs from veg than the other foods!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-10-11, 05:41

BF:

Oh I just noticed you mentioned "phase one" rather than "induction". Does this mean you are eating according to the newest atkins company book and not one of those written by Dr Atkins?

If so then you should be getting between 12-15 net carbs from your vegetables, not restricted to the up to 3 cups of DANDR.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-10-11, 14:02

Im getting confused now...

Im doing DANDR 1999 book.

When I did DANDR last year, nowhere did I read that I was restricted to 3 cups of vegetables a day? Also I cant find anything to convert cups to grams... Im in the UK and dont understand cups.

Sooo confused right now !
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-10-11, 14:28
Carnivore

Plan: <50 net/day
Stats: 368/305/190 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Definitely only 3 cups of veggies a day - and 2 of them should be salad type greens. There should be a list in your book at the beginning of the Induction/Phase One chapter.

(This info is incorrect - on many, many levels, please ignore and see the 2nd post down for information)
Quick conversion for you -
1oz = 28grams
cup = 16oz = 448grams

(I'm pretty sure that's correct... or you could google for a conversion calculator.)

Last edited by TChice : Tue, May-10-11 at 18:00. Reason: Incorrect information notation
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-10-11, 14:40

massive phew ! thought id been over-eating big time then ! but i havent so its all good and i love my salad veggies so thats a relief too ! thankyou !
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-10-11, 14:54

BF:

Nope - cups are liquid (volume) measurements not weight measurements so you cannot convert cups to weight ounces, you have to find out how many ounces of each veg would fit into a measuring cup so it is easier to do if you buy a set of measuring cups which most supermarkets and cooking shops sell.

One cup = 8 USA fluid ounces (a little less than 8 UK fluid ounces I think) = 237 mls
So if you have a measuring jug you can use that, and fill it up to the 237 mls mark with chopped veggies to see how much equals one cup.
For stuff you don't want to chop up you can use a big measuring jug and put 237mls of water in it then drop your veg into it and keep adding more till the water level reaches the 474 mls mark.

Or if you have kitchen scales you can go to the USDA database and search for the vegetable you want and it will tell you how many grams a cup of it weighs.
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/
Or download it to use when offline here http://www.ars.usda.gov/Services/docs.htm?docid=5720

BTW for converting lots of measurements including temperatures, weights (mass) and volumes there is a great free software you can download here.
http://joshmadison.com/convert-for-windows/
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-10-11, 17:56
Carnivore

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizellen
Nope - cups are liquid (volume) measurements not weight measurements so you cannot convert cups to weight ounces, you have to find out how many ounces of each veg would fit into a measuring cup so it is easier to do if you buy a set of measuring cups which most supermarkets and cooking shops sell.

One cup = 8 USA fluid ounces (a little less than 8 UK fluid ounces I think) = 237 mls
So if you have a measuring jug you can use that, and fill it up to the 237 mls mark with chopped veggies to see how much equals one cup.
For stuff you don't want to chop up you can use a big measuring jug and put 237mls of water in it then drop your veg into it and keep adding more till the water level reaches the 474 mls mark.

Or if you have kitchen scales you can go to the USDA database and search for the vegetable you want and it will tell you how many grams a cup of it weighs.
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/
Or download it to use when offline here http://www.ars.usda.gov/Services/docs.htm?docid=5720

BTW for converting lots of measurements including temperatures, weights (mass) and volumes there is a great free software you can download here.
http://joshmadison.com/convert-for-windows/

Thanks for that info! I'm glad I now know to not think/say that!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-10-11, 19:24

BF:

You are not the only one to get confused with volume ounces and weight ones.
When they printed DANDR in UK some "clever" editor realised that cup measurements are not often used over here for solid food so made the same error, so changed the allowed vegetable amounts of 3 cups to be some number of grams (don't have my copy here to find the number quoted) no matter what vegetables were chosen!

This meant lots of poor UK Atkineers trying to eat a pound or more of lettuce instead of 2-3 cups worth, which would be nearer to 4-6 ounces of it!!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-10-11, 20:16

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

I just looked this up today on the Atkins site:

"Eat no more than 20 grams a day of Net Carbs, 12 to 15 grams of them as foundation vegetables. This means you can eat approximately six loosely packed cups of salad and two cups of cooked vegetables per day. Remember, carb counts of various vegetables vary, so be sure to check them."

"How to do Induction Right" from the Atkins site:
http://www.atkins.com/Program/Phase...ctionRight.aspx
  #11   ^
Old Tue, May-10-11, 20:21
Carnivore

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonwtwindo
I just looked this up today on the Atkins site:

"Eat no more than 20 grams a day of Net Carbs, 12 to 15 grams of them as foundation vegetables. This means you can eat approximately six loosely packed cups of salad and two cups of cooked vegetables per day. Remember, carb counts of various vegetables vary, so be sure to check them."

"How to do Induction Right" from the Atkins site:
http://www.atkins.com/Program/Phase...ctionRight.aspx

I believe that rule changes depending on which version you are following. My DANDR 2002 edition says 3 cups of veggies max with at least 2 cups being salad greens.

It is frustrating that there are so many adaptations and interpretations and "new" not written by Dr Atkins versions that things like this happen fairly often, huh?

Either way, follow your version of your book, and you should be fine. (except the whole cups vs grams for volume dry measurements )
  #12   ^
Old Tue, May-10-11, 20:29

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

Yeah, the books do vary. I just ordered the latest version - same stuff as currently on the website - and am going to give it a shot.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, May-11-11, 01:26

Thank you for this - I now have 97 days to fit into a UK Size 8 bridesmaid dress so really need to make sure I am following it properly. I did have some cup measurers but I have no idea where they are, and I brought them from IKEA which is really far away from where I live... Going to have a look round a few shops in my local area today to see what I can find.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, May-11-11, 02:09

Okay, so now Im more confused than I ever was.

1 cup of lettuce, 1/2 cup of cucumber, 1/4 cup of radish, 1/4 cup of spring onion and 1 cup of aubergine/eggplant brings my total to 3 cups for the day, but only gives me 6 net carbs ?

How can this be right? Its either 3 cups or 12-15 net carbs from veggies. 3 cups doesnt even give me half the net carbs I need for the day. I really cant understand this diet at all now
  #15   ^
Old Wed, May-11-11, 04:53

BF:

You need to choose different vegetable to get your carb counts up if you want to get more from your up to 3 cups as in DANDR.

Red peppers have about 7 net carbs per cup for example.

but even with the choices you listed you can still follow the rules if your other net carbs from eggs, cheese, cream, sweeteners etc are only a few, allowing you to be getting "most" of however many net carbs yu are eating from those vegetables.