Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 21:55
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 270/230/140 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default can you stall during induction?

yet another newbie question, i know i know.

so i've noticed that the pants are fitting slightly loose, however i have maintained the same weight. not a pound lost, not a pound gained.

i've been pretty strict as far as food intake.

minus that i've had wine, nothing?

any ideas?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 00:12

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 252.4/171.2/166 Female 66 in
BF:40.74/27.63/25
Progress: 94%

No alcohol during induction. However, make sure you take measurements because you may be losing inches but not pounds yet. It happens.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 05:41

Plan: Carnivoire
Stats: 373.6/373.6/150.0 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Try posting a few days worth of menus maybe your having hidden carbs you don't realize, we'll see if we can spot anything obvious.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 06:03
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

I usually lose inches first, then the scale catches up. I would have been terribly discouraged if I hadn't started taking measurements.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 10:46

Plan: DANDR
Stats: 191/153/145 Female 66.5
BF:
Progress: 83%

My initial progress was reflected more in inches lost than on the scale. Be sure to take your measurements in lots of places. It can really reinforce your progress when you don't see movement on the scale.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 10:50
Registered Member

BF:
Default i finally purchased a tape measure

yeterday.

i was really even worse and sad to see that my waste was bigger than i realized.

hence, i put the tape measure down
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 22:59

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

I'm sorry to hear that, because you'll be disappointed later that you didn't take your measurements. It might be hard now, but two weeks from now when the inches have changed you'll have some encouragement, even if the scales don't move. I did not take my measurements in the beginning, and that's exactly what happened to me. Now I take them once a month...and if the scale doesn't move I'll take my measurements and find that I've lost inches. But if your clothes are looser you can be sure the inches are down. And the scale WILL catch up...just try not to get too discouraged before then.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 06:29

Plan: DANDR
Stats: 191/153/145 Female 66.5
BF:
Progress: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittysf
yeterday.

i was really even worse and sad to see that my waste was bigger than i realized.

hence, i put the tape measure down

You said you bought the tape yesterday...had you measured before you started? If so, sounds to me like you are retaining water, and it shows in on women in the stomach and chest area first. Are you eating a lot of high-sodium food, like the pork rinds? Using a lot of salt? If so, cut it out and drink at least 64 oz of water a day. Water will help flush out the excess water your body is holding and help flush the fat, too. Have you tried using Keto sticks? It will tell you if you are in ketosis...if you are, you are burning fat. If you didn't take your measurements before you started and the number is higher than you remember, don't be discouraged. It will give you a tremendous boost when you can see yourself starting to shrink! Take your measurements at your arms, thighs, chest, belly and hips. You will see progress! If you think your clothes fit looser, you are already losing something!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 07:13

Plan: Atkins+coffee
Stats: 290/185/180 Male 71 inches
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 95%

I only lost half a pound during my second week of induction. Almost everyone sees a slowdown during the second or third week. Some people say the first two weeks you lose water weight, after this little break you are losing fat.

Remember this isn't a quick fix.

--nw
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 12:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 246.8/241.3/175 Female 5'7
BF:WAY TOO MUCH
Progress: 8%

Whew.....I thought something was wrong because after 1 week the scale did not move but my husband swears that I look and feel trimmer around the waist. I feel it too but can't wrap my brain around how I can lose inches but nothing...not even a little someting shows on the scales!! Feel much better now!! Thanks!!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 17:12
Registered Member

BF:

i drink 3-5 crystal geyser 33.8 fl ox. (1.05 quarts ) 1 liter per day at work. its the only thing that i drink is water. nothing else liquid wise crosses these lips.

the measurement thing. I know that i should face the tape measure again, however my disappointment was way tooo strong for that.

as far as salt intake, i have tried to cook less with it. i am currently snacking on the porkrinds, hey its good, and it keeps me full till the next feeding. so i dont know.

as far as the scale goes, i'm only going to do that one a week. every couple of days its just soooo not producing what i want?

quick question, is it possible to get fatter doing atkins?

i havent gotten the ketosis sticks yet, tre expensive if you ask me.
is there a cheaper generic version of that stuff?
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 18:00

Plan: Atkins+coffee
Stats: 290/185/180 Male 71 inches
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 95%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittysf
quick question, is it possible to get fatter doing atkins?

i havent gotten the ketosis sticks yet, tre expensive if you ask me.
is there a cheaper generic version of that stuff?

Is it possible? Yes, but it's very rare. The only people who haven't cheated and gained weight were those who were under weight to begin with, and had unrealistic expectations. Some people put on a little weight in the beginning because they weren't getting enough protein from their previous diet.

As for the sticks, I say skip them. Too many people become obsessed with their color, and there are a lot of factors that can effect them. If you really want to get them, many people haven't gotten them very cheap on ebay.

--nw