Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 17:35
Registered Member

Plan: atkins start over 7/23/2003
Stats: 174/166/140 Female 5 ft 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%
Question flax

I got some ground flax seeds at GNC...now what?? What kinds of food do I add it to? What are the best ways to prepare it?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 18:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 173/127.2/123 Female 5'1&1/2"
BF:
Progress: 92%
Smile Hi

Hi there! I have a half cup of flax seed meal mixed with boiling water ,(2/3 cup), for breakfast every morning. Keeps me regular. If you have a small coffee grinder, (ele.) you can just whirl them to break them up in that, as you do not want to eat them whole as cereal. You can add vanilla or flavoring if you like.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 18:34
Registered Member

Plan: atkins start over 7/23/2003
Stats: 174/166/140 Female 5 ft 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

Thanks for the quick reply and congratulations on reaching your goal! It must feel so great....I'm from mass. too, could you maybe tell me your favorite places to shop for lc goods or eat out around here?

The reason i wasnt sure about what to do with the flax seeds is that i bought them plain (and already ground) rather than the premade flaxomeal....i'll try it out tho
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 19:43
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Merrymash,

If you search the forum on "flax" (confining your search to the kitchen forums will help ) you'll find lots of ideas for using flax seeds.

Here is a thread on Flaxmeal for breakfast to get you started. I have seen recipes for muffins using flax that you might like.

HTH

Rosebud
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 05:37

Stats: 173/127.2/123 Female 5'1&1/2"
BF:
Progress: 92%
Smile

Hi there. I live in Gill, Mass. Very small town on northwest corner of the state. Are you in that section by any chance? Gill is near Greenfield, a bigger town on RT. 91, that you can find on a map.Since you are on induction you will not be eating Atkins candy bars, but I buy those at WalMart. The health food store in Greenfield has the "Bobs Red Mill" flaxseed meal that I use for breakfast. Do you have a health food store in your area? I eat lots of salads with meat of fish so I really do not buy too many extra low carb products. That is usually what I eat when I eat out too. I just ask for no rolls or potatoes or rice or croutons, so I have entree and salad and sometimes they will replace the starch with an extra vegtable for you. (If so they get a bigger tip...teehee!)
I feel really good eating this way and have been able to do away with my high blood pressure RX.
Why don't you start a journal so I can find your posts easily? If you do tell me on this thread. I have subscribed to this thread so if you post here I will know. Good luck Low Carbing! It will turn your life around to better health, even if you are feeling good already.