Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 14:16

Plan: self invented mix of all
Stats: // Male 165
BF:I have no idea
Progress:
Default chocolate cream

sorry I cannot tell how much exactly, I just put everything into the pot and melt it together, it is not always exactly the same mixture, but always very good
Perhaps more experienced cooks can find out variations out of which can be measured:

Incredients:

* a very small amount of pure white beans or pure azuki beans
* 2-3 tablespoons chocolate powder (unsweatened)
* 1-2 tablespoons agar agar to give the whole things substance
* artificial sweetener or stevia or a mixture from both
* powdered almonds, you can also vary with other nuts and flax or sesam seeds
* in winter perhaps some cinnemon too
* 1-2 liter water

cook the already soft canned beans even softer and pass them through a sieve and mix the chocolate powder and the sweetener and the powdered almonds in some water together. put everything in a pot with more water and then you mix approx. one or two tablespoons of agar agar into it. boiling for a while is necessary to disolve agar agar. let it cool down, stir it sometimes. Then it is ready for dinner! Bon apetit!

If you are on a VERY low carb diet you can for sure take some protein powder instead of beans.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 17:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Seems to me that the beans might be very high in carbs.

I assume that k - a in your stats means "keine Ahnung" or 'no idea'? How do you know how you are doing or if your self-invented plan is working? Or maybe I mean that no one on the board will know how things are going for you. Just curious.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 05:14

Progress:
Default But you can give me an idea

hi tofi,

yes, keine ahnung means no idea. I do moderate low carb for better health, I do not want to lose or to gain weight.

so my diet went carb low, but fiber high, I eat much vegetables, fish, eggs, cheese, yoghurt, seeds and nuts, agar agar and flea seeds to get substance into meals, spices and seldom fruits, and alltogether it seems to work for me.

concerning the beans - I think you are right, so perhaps it can be improved by taking a smaller amount and substituting it partly by tofu or protein powder. but the agar agar is a good trick, it is like veggi gelantine and asian kitchen works much with agar agar. what do you think about of the rest of the incredients? do you know further not-bloating-zero-carb-not-too-expensive fiber to put into creams?

many greetings from austria
The Duck

Last edited by The Duck : Wed, Aug-27-03 at 05:15.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 11:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

How about guar gum or xanthan gum? Both are used in place of flour or cornstarch/corn flour for thickening soups, sauces, stews and gravies. They will thicken hot or cold liquids and are practically pure fibre.

In Canada, these are found in health food stores. Use only a little bit as they REALLY thicken a lot of liquid.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 15:19

Progress:

hi Tofi,

guar I use it sometimes - are you sure it works for sweet things too? The xanathan thing I have not seen yet here in austria. do you use it cold or do you have to cook it?

I also use sometimes powdered pectine, which they win from green fruits like apples and I have oligofructose as well, but do not use much of them, both are quite expensive here.

Another thing is agar agar and the psyllium husk, which I love both. But the chocolate cream does not work only on these.

I would be intersted in gummi arabicum, have you ever tried this? Seems to be a quite common thickener in Africa.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 23:00

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224/217/159 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Hi The Duck!
Just wanted to pop in after reading your recipe.
We just returned from 2-1/2 weeks in Germany and Austria.
We love your country! Our favorite things, besides Mirabella Gardens and Mozart's residences, was being on TV!

A guy in a Santa suit walked up to us and asked us where were from. Then we got on stage. They had 15 minutes to find 15 countries to sing, "Last Christmas I gave You my Heart"! They were blowing snow on us, and it was a real hoot! One of the highlights of our entire trip!

It was not too hard to Low Carb in Europe, with all the meats, cheeses and eggs available. We did enjoy the fresh Bavarian pretzels, and it didn't stall me at all.
Your country is beautiful, one of my favorite places now on earth.
"Tschoos"! Annie
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 10:49

Progress:

Hi Annie!

Lovely that you have visited my country - you were even on TV? Where did they get the snow?

If I overthink your statements, yes, you might be right, there is a wide range of food in Austria, you will find many things to eat for low carbs! On the other hand there are no low-carb specialized shops like you have in the USA.

But I think the social thing is more complicated, because people here take you for completely nuts and always ask you, why do you not eat this and why you do not eat that and look, I have put almost no sugar into it .... It is not like in the USA, where everybody is on some kind of crazy diet and nobody cares about it any more. Grannys get offended, if you do not eat their cakes and cookies! Psychologists think you have an eating disorder. This is a bit annoying here.

Many greetings
The Duck
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 12:32

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224/217/159 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Good morning, Duck...
Yes, I agree with you about the attitude towards LC'ing in Europe. At least in Munich. The culture bases much of the food on the delicious fresh pretzels and rolls. But the meats and cheeses, plus salads and fresh eggs are so wonderful.

Usually I don't concern myself anymore whether or not I would offend someone if I turn down food. But in Germany, I was totally different.
The grandparents are in their late 70's -80's, and as gracious guests, we ate what was served us. To do otherwise would've been selfish.

The good thing is I gained no weight. Probably from all the walking around we did. Oh how I wish we as Americans could do that! But everything is so far, or not close to train stations like what you have over there.

The tv show was some morning tv show in Salzburg. Their viewers could call in with ideas , and one guy wanted to see the idea I mentioned to you. I don't know where they got the snow. There were two huge snoe-blowing machines they turned on to blow flakes on us.

We ate lunch at the Glockenspiel Cafe in Salzburg and also visited Mozart's two houses.
Tshioos!
Annie-Pie
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 14:54

Progress:

Thatīs nice!

Many greetings
The Duck