Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-03, 13:18

Plan: atkins
Stats: 205/187/165
BF:
Progress: 45%
Default urinary tract infection

Anybody have any problems with this after following atkins for a period of several weeks?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-03, 16:38

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi gigi!

Urinary tract infections (or UTI) are not generally caused by diet. They occur when bacteria invade the urinary tract and gain enough of a foothold to cause an infection. Here's an exerpt from a website on the subject:

What Are the Causes of UTI?
Normal urine is sterile. It contains fluids, salts, and waste products, but it is free of bacteria, viruses, and fungi. An infection occurs when microorganisms, usually bacteria from the digestive tract, cling to the opening of the urethra and begin to multiply. Most infections arise from one type of bacteria, Escherichia coli (E. coli), which normally lives in the colon.
In most cases, bacteria first begin growing in the urethra. An infection limited to the urethra is called urethritis. From there bacteria often move on to the bladder, causing a bladder infection (cystitis). If the infection is not treated promptly, bacteria may then go up the ureters to infect the kidneys (pyelonephritis).

Microorganisms called Chlamydia and Mycoplasma may also cause UTIs in both men and women, but these infections tend to remain limited to the urethra and reproductive system. Unlike E. coli, Chlamydia and Mycoplasma may be sexually transmitted, and infections require treatment of both partners.

The urinary system is structured in a way that helps ward off infection. The ureters and bladder normally prevent urine from backing up toward the kidneys, and the flow of urine from the bladder helps wash bacteria out of the body. In men, the prostate gland produces secretions that slow bacterial growth. In both sexes, immune defenses also prevent infection. Despite these safeguards, though, infections still occur.

Your best defense is to drink plenty of water to keep the urinary tract flushed out. Other things you can do to prevent a UTI are: wear cotton panties; nylon traps moisture and gives bacteria a warm moist place to reproduce. Don't force yourself to go long periods without urinating; urinating frequently deprives bacteria of the time that they need to replicate to the point where an infection can occur. Always wipe from front to back to avoid getting bacteria from the colon introduced into the urethra. Take showers instead of tub baths. Always clense the genital area before and after intercourse and avoid using scented hygiene sprays and douches as these can irritate the urethra and make it more vulnerable to bacterial attack.

HTH and hope you're feeling better soon!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-03, 17:34

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 20/08/00 Female 5'10"
BF:not/low/enough
Progress: 60%

I agree that UTIs really stink and that they aren't caused by diet.

Being prone to them, I've found that Atkins actually has helped me. I drink much more water which helps greatly!! I figure I pee so much now that there is no way bacteria has the time to create an infection.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 08:47

Plan: None, limit carbs, Omega6
Stats: 161/140/140 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

#5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-03, 19:24
Registered Member

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 169/156/140 Female 5 ft 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 45%

I get UTI's quite frequently, but since Ive changed my way of eating and dtrinking all that water it seems to have gotten better!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-03, 22:59

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

I'm a frequent UTI sufferer as well. I have also found that this diet actually helps. I thought I was cured, in fact, until I got another one recently.

Drinking lots of water helps, as does taking probiotics like acidopholous or eating yogurt. I also take cranberry extract. I would think not eating starches helps too, as they may feed candida molds that would cause bacterial overgrowth.

Another tip: Keep some Azo or Uristat around. They are analgesics you can take that will decrease pain until you can go see a doc.

Hope you're feeling better.