Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-02, 08:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 238/237/200
BF:
Progress: 3%
Unhappy HELP!!! DISCOURAGED AFTER INDUCTION

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, yesterday was my last day on induction. I weighed myself this morning and have only lost 3 1/2 pounds. I know I am not doing anything wrong!! I am eating hamburger meat,eggs and salad with Maries blue cheese dressing. This is practically all I am eating every day!!!!!
I started weighing 238 pounds and after my first "weigh in" I was 235 1/2. I only lost one additional pound this second week of induction!!!
My ketostix show I am in ketosis. So does my breath and smell of my urine!! I probably don't drink enough water, but is that the major difference?
I am 6'1" and started at 238 lbs. I only need to lose about 30 pounds.
I am very discouraged and can use any guidance you may offer. Has anyone experienced this small amount of weight loss after induction?
I am going to stay on induction, hopefully it will catch itself up!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg david3.jpg (19.3 KB, 102 views)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-02, 09:01

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Drose, welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear you're having problems. When you say you eat "hamburger meat,eggs and salad with Maries blue cheese dressing. This is practically all I am eating every day!!!!! " do you mean that's it - nothing more? Are yout eating this 3 times a day? or just one meal?

Undereating is a major cause for slow loss - you should be eating at least 10 - 12 times your body weight a day in calories to sustain basic metabolic funtioning - this is just to keep your body from thinking it's being starved. More is usually better - specially if you're active.

And yes, drinking the water is vital to the success of this plan. 64 oz is the MINIMUM you need - then an extra 8 oz for every 25 lbs you need to lose. More is better - much better, in the case of water. Water is what flushes out the toxins and keeps you burning fat.

Have a look through the "Low Carb Tips" section of the forum (orange highlight atop every page) for information on Induction and stalling - it should help.

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-02, 10:36

Stats: 207/174/145 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 53%

Yes WATER is essential!!!I drink 128 oz a day & have noticed a huge defferance I wasnt drinking enough & I was hanging on to Water retention.Nat & some others turned me in the right derection & now Im thankful I listened.Your body needs Water to get rid of WATER strange sounding but its very true they made a believer outa me!! Good luck & dont get discouraged My Hubby is loosing slower then me the keto stix just barely changed color for him after 6 weeks of this WOE.Some people are metabolically resistant to dieting if you have the Atkins book Id sugest reading the chapter about metabolic resistance to weight loss.Also in his new revised book he has a chart that shows metabolic levels for what you lost during induction & 3 or below is high resistance & he recomends you reading the chapter about metabolic resistance.Dont give up it will happen if you dont gotta lot to loose it goes slower to. hope you break through.....
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-02, 10:45

BF:

Thank you all for your great advice.

What I stated I was eating was not one meal. I would have eggs for b-fast. Meat for lunch with a salad and meat for dinner

I will up my water, hopefully that will work.

Thanks again
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-02, 10:56

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care

typical weight loss on induction is 10% of the amount you have to lose. You're right on track, then.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-02, 10:56

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by drose204
I would have eggs for b-fast. Meat for lunch with a salad and meat for dinner

What you need to do Drose, is figure out your protein requirement and then work from there. Your average woman needs a minimum 60g a day - you should be eating more than that based on the fact that you're a man and have a lot more lean body mass. Formulas exist for figuring it out but basically you can multiply .4g by your weight = this how much protein you need (or .6g x your lean body mass, if you know what it is). You should be getting at least 100g of protein a day (and just to give you an idea, at 173 lbs I eat about 150g a day). One egg has 7g of protein - not much is it?

Take your protein requirement and break it down into at least 3 meals and be sure to get enough every time you eat. The bulk of your calories will be from fat (roughly 70%). Have some bacon or chicken with those eggs!

Veggies are essential as well - 3 cups of lettuce is a lot of lettuce, but not much fiber. You'd be better off with a salad with one meal and some veggies with dinner - broccoli, spinach, asparagus, brussle sprouts, cauliflower - all high in fiber. The result of skimping on the veggies can be unpleasant - Constipation.

Wrapping your brain around the notion you need to eat to lose fat can take some work - but have faith and give it some time, you'll see the results. Eating too little with LC doesnt work.

Nat
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-02, 11:13

BF:

Thank you all very much again!!!!!!

This site is great and the people make it that way!!!

I haven't heard the 10% weight loss during induction is good. I always read about people losing 10,20 lbs etc. I know they have alot more to lose than I do. I just want the weight to be gone by May/June!!!!

I have 34 pounds to go in 3 1/2 months. Probably alot to ask for.

Despite eating all of the fat filled and fried food, I am still losing, so I must be doing something right
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-02, 05:21
Registered Member

Plan: None right now
Stats: 150/144/130 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 30%
Cool HEY DUDE, WE'RE NEIGHBORS!

Wow, from all the forums I visit you're the first person and LCer I find at all from So. FL, let alone WPB, cool!

I'm a little frustrated myself lately b/c I started out just great and then came to a halt. I didn't weigh myself the last two weeks and finally did yesterday and to my horror I've gained close to 2 lbs. I comfort myself thinking I may be gaining a bit of muscle since I increased the pounds of my light-weight workout recently.

Although there are many reasons for slow weight loss, one thing I try to pass on to others with the same problem is that sometimes going too low on the carbs is not the best thing for everybody. I recently found out that a certain amount of carbs is needed for the most active form of thyroid hormone to be manufactured in our liver, the lack of it will slow our metabolism down. Too much intense exercise can have the same effect. I have to be particularly careful about that because I have a lazy thyroid. Maybe you were not eating enough like NATRUSHKA said. I started out NOT counting carbs and lost 5 lbs. in one week, the minute I cut back to really be on Induction I slowed to a crawl and only lost 2 lbs. the next two weeks. Also last spring, when I wasn't worried about counting carbs I was losing steadily.

Also, I try to combine the principles of the diet "Eat Right For Your (Blood) Type" with LC as eating some of the wrong foods for our type can slow down our weight loss. It seems blood types O and B do much better on Atkins, for instance, than type A who can't digest animal proteins as well. But that's my personal observation so far. What's your type?

I don't necessarily agree that if one has a small percentage one would lose little initially. I believe that depends on our individual health and metabolism. The first time I did Atkins 7 years ago when I was healthier, I lost 10 lbs. during induction and I wasn't even doing it right, oh, and my ketostix showed either "Trace", "Little" or "Moderate" at the most. In less than one month I lost the 14-15 lbs. I needed to lose, it was like a miracle!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-02, 08:30

BF:

Hi Raquel,

Glad to have a neighbor in WPB on the boards.
I am blood type O
I decided to up my carbs just a little. I was eating less than 10 per day and now I am going to eat around 20 and see what happens.
Only time will tell!!