Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 11:07
This is the year

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/186.8/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%
Question Standing exercises for abs?

Are there any exercises that can be done for abs while standing?

Situps or any exercises where I lay on my back are not an option for me right now.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 13:13

Plan: PPLP
Stats: 235/179/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:lots/less/<20%
Progress: 51%

do you have a back problem? if so, you might as whoever is treating you (physician, therapist) about ab exercises.

I ask because anything that works your abs will also work your back because of the stabilization.

if there is just some reason that you cannot lie down but have no exercise restrictions, then here are a couple of ideas.

1. there are the crunch machines at the gym that are "backless"
2. cable crunches - sitting or kneeling at the high cable, and then crunch forward
3. sit-backs: sit on floor or bench in "ending position" of a sit-up (knees bent, arms around knees) and *sit back* to about 45 degrees and then back up.
4. sit on an exercise ball and bounce, or work your arms (curls, lateral raises, front raises, etc) - the effort of stabilizing on the ball will work your trunk.

if you want to work obliques rather than rectus abdominus, you can add:
1. full contact twists
2. side presses with db
3. cable "twists"
4. forget the name, but basically you place a db on the outside of your left foot. bend over and grab with your right hand - full twisting stretch as you bend - and then uncoil and straighten up as you raise the weight.

etc.

----
I just re-read your post and noticed the goal about being pregnant - if you are pregnant - I've seen a lot of advice about not working abs specifically at all while pregnant - except for the bouncing on the swiss ball. check with your OB about ab exercises if pregnant.

Last edited by LisaS : Tue, Jun-03-03 at 14:55.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 13:43
This is the year

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/186.8/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

Thanks for all the suggestions. My doc says I can do light ab work as long as it's not laying on my back. Laying on your back for exercises can apparently deprive the baby of oxygen. She actually encouraged me to do it since having strong ab and back muscles helps at delivery time.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 14:54

Plan: PPLP
Stats: 235/179/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:lots/less/<20%
Progress: 51%

you might also incorporate some of the low back/ab exercises, such as:

1) from all fours, do "angry cat : old horse" , being sure to tuck the pelvis on the angry cat.

2) from standing, do the "swing the dinosaur tail"

this one, if you haven't done it, you take a medium-wide (shoulder or a little wider) stance, and a slight bend in the knees. you can put your hands on the upper thighs if you want (or not). then you imagine you have a long dinosaur tail trailing out behind you. tilt your pelvis so that it swings your tail from behind you to between your legs. Keep you head up and your back straight - you are really just rocking your pelvis (like when you lie on your back and rock your pelvis and press down your lower back) --- but for some reason the tail-swinging imagery makes you keep proper form.

3) also on the swiss ball: rock your pelvis and hold in proper alignment.

Last edited by LisaS : Tue, Jun-03-03 at 15:07.