Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 04:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/196/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default I found sugar in Exlax Gasp!

I have a question? I have been on this diet for 5 weeks now, the only time I feel like I might have goofed was the week that I ate grapefruit. I stay within the 20 grams of carbs and haven't lost weight but I'm not complaining because I am diabetic and this is my diet for life! Anyways my question is this: I have been taking ExLax <Gasp> and this morning I checked my diet controlled Diabetetes and it was 201!! And I finally looked at the ingredients of Exlax and saw sucrose!!! Might that be what is stalling me, I had NO idea that it contained sucrose!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 05:11
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

Assuming I know what you are using the exlax for, you may want to instead add Magnesium into your diet instead. I take 250mg twice a day, and everything runs great! I hear this is true for a lot of people.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 05:17

Plan: My own plan!
Stats: 176/163/135 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 32%

mkjulian

Can you post a few days menus so we can take a look at what you are eating? Are you drinking enough water? Are you eating too much salt?

Also, I use FitDay.com and it's very helpful! You may not be eating enough calories or the correct %'s of Fat, Protein and Carbs. The amount of calories you should consume should be 10-12 x your body weight. You should be eating 70% fat, 25% protein and 5% carbs. Fitday.com does these calculations for you so that you know you are on track.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 07:32
Registered Member

BF:

Well generally for breakfast I eat an omelette which consist of 2 eggs, 3 strips back, slice of American cheese, and a little sour cream. For lunch I eat a chicken quarter and spinch,or salad with lettuce and celery mostly, or some kind of greens. For dinner I eat some type of either broiled steak, hamburger patty, pork chops or chicken, and either a salad or greens. For snacks I usually eat maybe a half a bag of pork rinds or about an ounce of sunflower seeds w/ shells. I drink 80 oz of water a day. I finally drank my last glass of diet coke 3 days ago.. and drink a little of the Sugar free caffeine free royal crown. I will go 3 days without a bowel movement, and it worried me so i started taking the ex lax for like 5 days in a row. I had no idea it contained sucrose! Thank you for your help in advance
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 08:15

BF:

I would hold the sour cream because some dairy products stall people. Also, while cheese is very good if you eat too much it will constipate you. Make sure you are not eating more that 3-4 ounces a day of cheese. It looks like you only eat 1 ounce a day? In addition try eating 1 cup a day of broc or cali these are fiber rich foods and will help you go to the bathroom. Steam the broc and put a pat of real unsalted butter over top of it and have it with dinner. You should be eating at least 2 cups of salad greens and at least 1 cup of broc, tom or cali a day. Veggies help with fiber content and they are good carbs! Pork rinds are good but will stall people, they are very high in sodium and cause some people to retain water. I would stop the pork rinds too! Don't try the Aktins bars or snacks either because they will stall you too! Feel free to add mayo and oil and vinegar to your meals. Fat will make it work!

A typical induction day for me:

Breakfast: 3 eggs and 3 slices bacon with water

Lunch: Burger King Chicken Caesar Salad with 4 Tablespoons of Newman's Own Natural Olive Oil and Vinegar Dressing (I buy the dressing at the grocery store and keep it in my desk at work-it doesn't need refrigerated and it's high in fat and you need fat)

Snack: 10 grape tomatos and 2 slices of cheddar cheese

Dinner: Hamburger w/let, tom, mayo and mustard
1 cup of steamed broc with 1 pat butter and 1 Tablespoon mayo

Calories:1680
Fat: 132 71%
Protein: 101 24%
Carbs: 19 5%

These are my calculations from FitDay.com. The 70% fat % is the key to the Atkins induction balance!

I will be starting the BFL workouts next week so I will be altering my menus and making them into 6 meals at 25 carbs and increasing my protein because of all the added workouts that I will be doing.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 08:58
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you so much for your help, the only veggies I have been eating are the lettuce and celery with 3 T of Ranch dressing on top, but I have been eating pork rinds every day, and I forgot to mention that sometimes I will eat Vienna sausages for a snack. I will drop both and start eating the brocolli and tomatoes. I usually eat spinach because I am anemic and that keeps my iron up. OHHHH and for the last 3 days I was eating one Atkins bar a day, One thing I did notice was, it seemed to up my cravings for carbs. I love Fit Day, but the foods that contain fiber confuse me, do I subtract it on Induction? Thank you for your help, I really think I was getting too much salt now.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 09:30

BF:

You are welcome! Good Luck!

When I use fitday I add just about everything as a custom food and do the subtractions myself. So if my carbs are 5, but fiber is 3 I just put the food in as having 2 carbs.

And remember ditch the bars! They ruined me the first time I did Atkins, this is my second time and No Bars for me!

Also check out the Atkins Center Website and the info under the induction section it's very helpful. Have you read the Atkins for Life book? This is the key to understanding what foods to eat and why and how Atkins works!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 11:16
Registered Member

BF:

NO, I have the 2 diet revolutions, I didn't know he had a fit for life!! TY again! and I will definately drop the bars. looks like you have put me on the right path