Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 07:18

Plan: 0
Stats: 186/178/165
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default Frustrated

I have started cutting carbs and increasing protein and fat, not following any specific plan, and am frustrated because I haven't lost any weight in the past four weeks. The medical reasoning makes sense and I can't understand why it's not working. I now realize how much carbs I used to eat! However, I feel like all I can eat is meat, cheese, peanut butter and salad! I cut out bread, pasta, fruit, soda and pretty much any sugary foods. I was on a low calorie diet and was struggling to lose weight and realize my metabolism is slow which I why I thought the low-carb diet might work. I'm male, 43, 5-5 and weigh 184 and would like to lose 20 pounds. I exercise twice a week (rigorous tennis league and clinic). What gives? Do I just need to cut back even more overall? I also have high cholestoral and triglycerides and (fatty) liver enzyme - someone told me the weight loss would bring these down and not to worry about the fat intake in a low-carb diet.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 07:56
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

I am certainly no expert, but I can make a couple of suggestions. First have you noticed any change in measurements? Lots of times I don't lose weight, but will shrink. Second, find a specific plan and follow that. There are several to choose from-look at the links to the right and the first one is "which low carb plan is right for me" Check that out. I know several people who have just cut down carbs and have lost some weight, but it sounds like you might need a more structured plan. Sorry I cannot offer more advice.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 08:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/153
BF:2 much for now
Progress: 0%

you need a plan, and it probably won't include peanut butter at the beginning...
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 08:56

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I agree with LadyBug...

Trying to follow low carb without a specific plan is not a good recipe for success. Would you set out on a trip to a place you've never been without a map and directions on how to get to your destination?
If you're unsure of which low carb plan would fit you best, have a look at the link on right side of the page here titled, "Which low carb plan is right for me?". Then get the book, read it and follow the plan exactly as written.
Just from what you posted, you may be eating too much cheese and nuts and not drinking enough water. You probably also need more veggies than what you've been eating as well.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 12:28

Stats: 208.5/196/135 Female 5ft4
BF:
Progress: 17%

I'm with Ladybug--ditch the peanut butter. (And I'm wondering what you mean by "almost" all sugary foods....)

Sugar is taboo--in any quantity.
There are dozens of low carb books to read, just to get you started on the general principles, and tons of info on this site.
You could start with Atkins (please read the book), and go from there.
Good luck!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 12:59

BF:

I didn't mean to imply I eat a lot of peanut butter. I am also eating eggs, increasing baked fish and have rediscovered tuna salad. By almost all sugars, I mean I'm having a hard time giving up fruit and their juices. A few months ago, I replaced soda and ice tea with water and "real" fruit juices (primarily citrus and cranberry) thinking this was a good move, not thinking about the effects of their sugar. I drink a glass of OJ every morning (along with a bowl of Kashi with part 2% milk/part soy milk) and like to eat various citrus fruits. I was also eating those little containers of applesauce and other fruit purees. We also purchased a juice machine for Christmas and started juicing fruits and veggies, but I have read this is not the best thing if going low-carb. Anyhow, I looked over the various plans and chose the Schwarzbein because the description appears to be a bit more balanced. I ran out at lunch today and bought the first book. By the way, for lunch I had half of a turkey/swiss sandwich with high-fiber low net carb bread and a small single-serving of cottage cheese and a diet Snapple. Any opinions on Schwarzbein? PS - I got a ton of info on Atkins and don't know if I can handle 20g of carbs a day.

Last edited by psness : Wed, Feb-12-03 at 13:02.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 13:10
Registered Member

Plan: Mix of Atkins and Neanderthin
Stats: 240/196/175 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Depending on the type/brand of juice and the size of the glass you could easily be drinking in 40+g of carbs. An apple or an orange will have around 20g of carbs. If you are consuming these, peanut butter is the least of your problems.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 13:16
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

If you want to lose weight without counting calories, you are probably going to have to give up the juice, the applesauce, and the fruit purees. They are all very high in carbs. In my experience, most people need to go below 30 or 40 grams of carbs a day to lose weight and it sounds like you are well above that. Try plugging your daily menu into fitday.com to see how many carbs you are eating each day.

If you don't want to give up the fruit juice, you're going to probably need to seriously restrict calories.

You should be aware that while Schwarzbein certainly proposes a healthy eating plan, and it's what I am planning to follow for maintenance, most people who follow Schwarzbein lose weight very slowly if at all. You don't have a lot to lose, so this may not be a problem for you, but it's something you should consider. You might want to check out some of the journals of other Schwarzbein followers.

It's not generally recommended, but some people skip induction when donig Atkins (I am one of them). I have always included a little cottage cheese and berries in my menu in addition to the Atkins induction food. I was never able to totally give up fruit, but I keep it to one serving of low carb fruit a day (usually strawberries or blueberries). I don't think I ever went below about 25 or 30 grams of carbs a day.

Last edited by liz175 : Wed, Feb-12-03 at 13:18.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 03:18
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

Quote:
Originally posted by psness
I'm having a hard time giving up fruit and their juices . A few months ago, I replaced soda and ice tea with water and "real" fruit juices (primarily citrus and cranberry ) thinking this was a good move... I drink a glass of OJ every morning (along with a bowl of Kashi with part 2% milk/part soy milk) and like to eat various citrus fruits . I was also eating those little containers of applesauce and other fruit purees . We also purchased a juice machine for Christmas and started juicing fruits and veggies. ...for lunch I had half of a turkey/swiss sandwich with high-fiber low net carb bread

In addition to the fact that you are WAY overdoing the carbs thanks to all the fruit and juice you're consuming, in addition to the grains and milk carbs you're consuming, you also have chosen CITRUS juices for breakfast every morning. Of all the juices you could have chosen, that was probably the worst - citric acid stalls weight loss in a LOT of people.

That high-fiber low net carb bread you had - what brand is it and exactly how many carbs did it have? Did you know that consuming juice is actually WORSE than consuming the whole vegetable or fruit if you're removing the fiber? How many carbs does your Kashi have? (All the ones I've seen around here are very high in carbs and I would not be able to eat them.) Soy milk has carbs, as does 2% milk.

I'm glad you've chosen a plan. You don't necessarily NEED to be on an Atkins-strict way of eating, but you do need some guidance. Pat yourself on the back for taking the first couple of steps and then get busy reading.

Last edited by freydis : Thu, Feb-13-03 at 03:19.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-03, 06:52

BF:

Well, I am realizing that I have been doing all the wrong things. I thought orange juice was good for you and come to find out it inhibits weight loss. The bread is a grocery store brand, has 9g of carbs and 2g of fiber per slice - half the net carbs of a slice of Italian bread. That lunch the other day included the first slice of bread I've had in three weeks. The Kashi has 24g of carbs and 8g of fiber in 3/4 cup. I also sprinkle it with flax seed meal and eat a small bowl of kashi every morning, as I really need the fiber since I have become less "regular" since cutting back on the carbs. I have started reading the Schwarzbein book and it is interesting. I haven't gotten to the actual diet/food intake area yet but the general health information is very good. I really think this low-carb diet will help, as I have tried the low-fat low-calorie route off-and-on for years and have found my metabolism has about reached zero. I definitely have what Schwarzbein calls the insulin resistance meter (spare tire), where she says the carbs tend to migrate.

Last edited by psness : Fri, Feb-14-03 at 06:55.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-03, 07:46
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally posted by psness
I definitely have what Schwarzbein calls the insulin resistance meter (spare tire), where she says the carbs tend to migrate.

I am glad you got a plan and a book! This will change your life.

Atkins also talks about insulin resistent people carrying most of their weight in their abdomen. I have that too-Some good news for you-after lcing since September, I have lost 6 1/2 inches in my waist! I am not only losing weight, but my body is healing from all those carbs I had been shoving into it.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Paleoanth-