Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-21-02, 18:15

Plan: my doctor's
Stats: 270/265/200
BF:
Progress: 7%
Unhappy I need to tell someone

I worked at a nursing home for 3 yrs. I got to love many of the residents. One in particular was there the last year I was there. We were very fond of each other and she shared her life with me of what she went thru in her early days etc. This lady was 90. Very sharp in her mind but her heart was bad. She even had her own computer in her room!! Almost unheard of for a nursing home resident.

To make a long story short, I got offered another job at a totally different place and I took the job. For the next 7 months I went back and visited with my favorite lady. Before I left the nursing home job tho, I had lost 30 lbs. on a low carb diet. I was still well over 225 lbs. But after I left that job I started to gain the weight back....because I got into eating carbs again. Because I gained weight I felt ashamed and did not want to go back to the nursing home and let them see me getting bigger. I sent cards now and then and NEVER forgot my favorite lady..I just found out that she died in her sleep two days ago. I was told by one of the workers there on the day she died she asked for me and said I "never came back"....that made me feel so bad.

God is the only other one that knows the true reason of why I did not go back to visit. I had to tell someone. Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-21-02, 19:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 181/164/150
BF:
Progress: 55%

She knew you cared about her and had a reason for not coming back.

One of my favorite clients, who is now handled by another city of my department, has cancer. I had spoken to her by phone for several years but never met her personally. I went to see her at the hospital and got to meet her face to face for the first time a couple weeks ago. I still call her but am hesitate to see her at her home. Not getting too attached is hard but getting too attached in the wrong circumstances is wrong too!

She had your love and friendship and knew it. I honestly believe everything happens for a reason, maybe your meeting her was show let you know how unimportant your weight is, especially to those that care about you. Maybe you were that very special friend to her when she needed it most.

God Bless.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-21-02, 19:58

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 238/212/180 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 45%

You should be very proud of yourself for being a part of her life. You probably brought more love to her life than you realize. Being as cognitive as you say she was, she understood that you had to move on and with that she also understood the difficulties related to a change in life. She had a lot of wisdom and I'm sure she truly understood.

I have worked in the healthcare field for over 24 years now, starting as a nurse aide and am now a physical therapist. I agree that there are certain patients that you become very attached to. I have several that have passed away over the years, but they still have a special place in my heart.

Thank you for being one of those special people that make healthcare a wonderful area for others that we care for.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-02, 10:06

Plan: General LC-ing
Stats: 145/127/120
BF:BMI 23.7
Progress: 72%

Hi Celine,
What a very touching story! I just started working at a nursing home a little over 30 days ago and have already bonded with
many of the residents there! In fact I'm quitting my other job of
14 years to be there full time.
I believe we are placed in places for very special reasons.
Just take comfort that this special women had her thoughts on
you and not on any pain or fear she might have experienced. Instead she was remembering you and the special bond between you. You were her angel on earth.
greentea
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-02, 22:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

Celine: Your post was a great reminder for me. I am horrified at the friendships I let go of, and the opportunities in life I did not take because of my weight.........I didn't want someone to see how much I had gained or I didn't feel confident because of my weight. Thanks for reminding me that we don't always have all the time in the world..............Cindi