Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-08-02, 16:28

Plan: My own
Stats: 200/162/155
BF:?%/11%/7%
Progress: 84%
Default Hello All!

So here I am, hoping to learn a lot and perhaps even impart a little. I first tried a low carb diet (specifically Atkins) in 1999. I was 200 lbs ~ 6'1'', I was completely inactive and smoked a pack a day. Not a good direction to be headed in at 23 years of age. I lost 30lbs in about 5 months, a good start. Then in 2001 I quite smoking and began to exercise. From then on I've been in pursuit of ever greater health, well being, and in all honesty - a great looking body. Now I'm 162 with (not sure about the accuracy, I use a Tanita (spelling?) scale a BF of 10-12%. I am significantly stronger and my cardio capacity is miles from what it was when I was a smoking couch potato. Now I'm trying for perfection (I know, I know). My goals are to get down to a 7% body fat and to lose my abdominal fat once and for all. It's the only place I've got any fat at all and it won't go away!!!
So, any tips on losing that impossible to lose abdominal fat?

Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-09-02, 13:17

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%
Thumbs up Welcome

Hi Nautus

Welcome to this forum. I'm a little puzzled about your body fat % as normally around 20% is considered normal. So not sure how yours is being measured.

You indicate that the fat is just on your abdomen. The only real way to tackle this is to do specific resistence exercises in that area to build up the muscle and use the fat reserves. Body builders often use low carbing to enhance their physique. Have a look in the exercise forum for further ideas.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-09-02, 15:35

Plan: My own
Stats: 200/162/155
BF:?%/11%/7%
Progress: 84%

Granted 11% may not be exact (+/- 1-2 %, tested with Tanita scale averaged over 2 months), 20% for an athletic male is actually quite high. Lower abdominal definition, as I understand it, doesn't start in until single digit body fat % for males. Am I off base here?

Thanks