Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-03, 11:25
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/189/145 Male 5'3
BF:not sure
Progress: 19%
Default Someone called me "fat boy"-need your opinion

To make the story short, I went back to college after many years.
A guy I ended up being lab partners with lost about 40 pounds by exercising.
So, one day I was in the hall waiting for class to start and he said in front of everyone "Hey, fat boy, how ya doing? I've lost 40 pounds so far."
I just said "Wow, that's good." I did not want to get into an altercation.
Then there was another day when we were packing away some supplies in a suitcase type thing and it wouldn't shut.
So, again in front of everyone he said hey (my name) why don't you come sit on this so it will close?
Well guys, I'm in my thirties and can't believe I can still be hurt by those comments.
The good news is-we are no longer lab partners. This just happened to happen, I didn't decide or anything.
What do you guys think? At first I thought I would confront him, but then I thought-I'm a much bigger person than that. I don't care about that idiot. I'm strong.

Has anyone else been through this? What did you do? Do you have any advice? Is this enough questions to answer?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-03, 11:29
Registered Member

Stats: 253/195/175 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 74%

you're under 200 pounds. you can't possibly be all that fat

TC
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-03, 11:36
100% pork rind free

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 215/182.5/180 Female 5 ' 10 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 93%

This guy sounds like a complete jerk who is not worth your time. I would probably just ignore him or tell him to shut up, but I'd like to think that I would find something rude to call him back if I were in your position. Does he have a big nose or something? No,that's not very charitable, but maybe it will drive the point home that it's not acceptable -- particularly as an adult -- to make fun of others' "flaws."

I would also have to agree with TC -- as a man who weighs less than 200 lbs, I doubt you even qualify as "fat." (Unless you're on the short side, maybe.) What an insensitive tool.

Last edited by RosaAlta : Thu, Nov-06-03 at 11:38.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-03, 18:07

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueColors
you're under 200 pounds. you can't possibly be all that fat

TC

He's 5'3" according to his profile. I was about that height in Middle School. I became slightly overweight in 7th Grade (155 pounds ~ 5'4".) I became a "Fat Boy" in 8th grade (180 pounds ~ 5'6".) I went on a LF Diet in 9th grade and when I finished was only slightly overweight (168 pounds ~ 5'8".) My classmates stopped making fun of me when I dropped below 175 or so. I went off the LF Diet and by the end of 10th grade was back up to 219 pounds and was being teased again. I reached my current height of 6'0" probably about my Junior year of HS.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-03, 11:31
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

Hey, first of all this person is mentally on a five years old's level, that if he's lucky!
Think of it this way: you are not what he or others say you are. You are not fat, just losing weight and doing great!
You did good ignoring him, don't give him the satisfaction.

Best of luck!

Alina
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-03, 11:32

Plan: Keto
Stats: 270/265/170 Male 68 inches
BF:43%/35%/10%
Progress: 5%

Well some people call skinny people "fat boy" and call fat people "hey slim"

Well if that isnt the case, then I would just not worry about it... who cares what they think anyway.. besides that person who said these things to you sounds like a complete loser and its good that you found another lab partner

Have a good one,
Korry
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-03, 11:33
Registered Member

Stats: 130/126/~115 Female 63 & 1/4 inches
BF:22%/20%
Progress:

Darn skippy to that!

So, this guy calls you fat after admitting to having lost 40 pounds? Sounds like he still has a little bit of ego-work to do. Not only is he being a poser, he is being a very STUPID poser. You'll probably soon be as healthy as he is, anyway, if not even more so.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-03, 11:39

Stats: 236/186/190 Male 72 inches
BF:21
Progress: 109%

We all know that fat is a temporary condition, but your friend is plagued by something that is forever....stupidity!
best,
T.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-03, 13:05

Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TES
We all know that fat is a temporary condition, but your friend is plagued by something that is forever....stupidity!
best,
T.

Yep. There's no cure for stupid.

It's a sad person that has to build themselves up by tearing someone else down. Maybe he noticed your weight loss and was just jealous of you. Who knows? Anyway, you were the better person so be proud. Way to go on your weight loss too!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-03, 11:39

Stats: 480/440.2/225 Male 6' 2"
BF:
Progress: 16%

As someone who has been ridiculed my entire life, my only advice to you is to go on with your life and ignore it. Truth be told, regardless of what you say to this person, they will not change in their ways and more than likely they will figure out that they hit a nerve and continue their verbal battery tenfold.

This is the type of person who feeds their ego only by putting others down figuring that the only way he'll look good is if he points out the faults of people around him. You should feel sorry for them if not anything else, really.

Live and let live. Good luck.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-03, 11:49

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

He's just desperate for ways to feel superior...because for him, there's not that many ways.
Rise above it. If he can't keep up all that exercise, and you keep on low carbing, you may, in the future, become the bigger man by NOT calling him "fat boy."
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-03, 11:52

Stats: 240/184/140 Female 5ft 4 inches
BF:lost track
Progress: 56%

Well put TES!
Ignore the remark and move on. You are no way no how fat!

Hugs,
Tanya
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-03, 11:52
~version 2.0~

Stats: 186/173/145 Female 62 inches
BF:YES.
Progress: 32%

Hey hun... I wouldn't give the guy the satisfaction of a comment...
Deep down somewhere I would like to come back with a cocky remark in front of people when he says a comment like this to you... like " how big are all your clothes that you can't close the suitcase yourself??... or I thought you lost all that weight exercising... you still aren't strong enough to close your own suitecase... looks like you need to hit the gym again."

But that won't solve the problem just make it worse...
You are a better person than he... and he knows it... and that is why he is saying such hurtfull things...

Your the best Jimbo... and we all love and support you
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-03, 12:33

Plan: atkins
Stats: 330/217/190 Male 70 in
BF:?/30/less than 20
Progress: 81%

Typically, someone will only insult someone like that that they actually like. This person probably likes you and is only kidding and would like to be kidded back. Some people don't realise that can be hurtful. Unless this person really is a jerk, try finding something you can kid him about back. My guess is that he may want to be your friend. Me and my friends kid each other unmercifully, with no bad feelings.
Either way don't let his comments hurt you. If he senses that, they will keep coming.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-03, 12:40
Registered Member

Stats: 199/189/145 Male 5'3
BF:not sure
Progress: 19%

Everyone-thank you so much for you kind and helpful words. It's just been so long that someone has called me a name, that it caught me off guard.
You have really made my day and made me feel much better about everything.