Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 21:31
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/178/155 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 23%
Question New to Atkins, New to this forum...

My name is Brandee. I'm a 28 year old stay at home mom who lives in Michigan. I've been married since 1996.

My husband and I are planning to start Atkins this weekend. We're planning a romantic trip in June, and I know I can't look like this! I'm also tired of the blood sugar peaks and valleys that I experience. My inlaws have been on Atkins since Dec/Jan (my brother in law is the one who recommended this website to me! He said you all are wonderful!) and have been very successful.

I'm a little worried about breakfast. I'm not a fan of breakfast, so I'm worried about suddenly having to put something into my stomach in the morning. It's used to Slim Fast shakes or something equally as easy to digest. Does anyone have any ideas???

Thanks!

Brandee ~
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 22:17

Plan: My own, post Atkins
Stats: 180/131/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 123%

you could make protein shakes. Find a good powder, we use whey.
I haven't tried them, but alot of people say to stay away from the atkins shakes.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 22:20

Plan: SB
Stats: 170/164/140 Female 5"10
BF:
Progress: 20%

There are some good shake recipes in the Breakfast Ideas forum
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 22:56

Plan: atkins
Stats: 192/173.5/150 Female 5'3 inches
BF:
Progress: 44%

you sound a lot like me! Most people would say stay away from the premade shakes but I am like you and can't really stomach breakfast foods so I have the slim fast low carb shake which has 2g. net carbs. I used them all through induction and lost fine...of course now I'm not losing but that's a different story...LOL. Anyway...it's one of those things you have to see for yourself how it affects you. Good Luck!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 22:57
I'm Losin' It

Stats: 190.5/190.5/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:ha/ha/18%
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalejr8fan
I'm a little worried about breakfast. I'm not a fan of breakfast, so I'm worried about suddenly having to put something into my stomach in the morning. It's used to Slim Fast shakes or something equally as easy to digest. Does anyone have any ideas???

Thanks!

Brandee ~

Welcome Brandee, This forum is great, you get to "meet" so many nice people. I had not really eaten breakfast for 30 years, so to suddenly try to have an appetite at 7am was hard. Eggs do get tiring. I am using a receipe from the kitchen forum called mock danish. That along with 3 slices of bacon and my decaf with cream is my breakfast. It gets easier as you go.

Good luck to both of you. (its much easier with DH along except he will lose faster )
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 08:55

Stats: 277.5/277.5/199 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hey everybody....say Hi to Brandee...she's my sister-in-law!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 09:10

Stats: 275.0/220.0/185.0 Male 72.5 inches
BF:??%/25.7%/??%
Progress: 61%

Lindy brings up a good point.

Brandee, does your husband [dh stands for dear (or darling) husband] need to lose weight as well? If not, then he can do the lifetime maintenance portion of the diet. But, a good supportive spouse is very important in being able to meet your goals. There are several on this forum who deal with unsupportive spouses and family members who try to sabotage their diets, so the supportive spouse is not a requirement!!!!

But, if your dh needs to lose as well, then it's a great lifestyle to commit together to. My wife supports me doing Atkins, but she doesn't do it (mainly because we have a baby coming within the next few weeks!).
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 09:19

Plan: atkins
Stats: 146/123/123 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi welcome, Im a stay at home mom (aka silent business partner for my darling husband also) and used to hate breakfast. My idea of breakfast was whatever candy I could get my hands on around 11 am. Now I have adjusted really well and usually have some sausage, bacon, or some kind of meat, sometimes and egg, or sometimes an atkins shake but not every day. I notice when I drink them every day I didnt lose anything. The secret is to never get to discouraged to quit just come on and we will boost you right back up. Good Luck
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 11:07

Plan: anti-fungal, atkins
Stats: 165/125/125 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 100%

I drink a protien shake for breakfast every day. I love them.....I put them in the blender with some half and half and ice!! sometimes I pour some divinchi syrups in them for different flavors!! I just found one thats vanilla ice cream flavor...it is so yummy!!

Only thing I suggest is not buying the ones that say low carb!! they are like twice as expensive and you can find a really good one with the same amount of carbs for less!!

good luck
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 11:17

Plan: Atkins/Counting Calories
Stats: 173/165/145 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 29%

Hi Brandee!!

I don't eat breakfast until 10:00 am. I too cannot eat right when I wake up in the morning so I wait until I'm hungry. Also, I have a eating schedule to keep my blood sugars level. I get to work at 7:30 and have some coffee w/ half & half and some Davinci syrup and that usually tides me over until breakfast. That is usually 2 eggs either fried, scrambled or hard boiled with a turkey sausage brat, or a couple breakfast sausage links.

I don't do shakes because I like to chew my food, it is more satisfying to me if I actually chew.

Wee
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 11:24
Registered Member

Stats: 185/178/155 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 23%

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I'm really looking forward to starting Atkins. I'm still getting the hang of the message boards here, so pardon any mistakes I make. I post on alot of messages board on the internet, but all seem to be set up a little differently. Dh (I was going to use that in my first post, but I didn't know if that was something that only my other boards used! Nice to know it's universal!) needs to lose some weight too. Not too much, but he does have a beer belly.

Hi Matt!!

Brandee ~
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 21:15
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
he does have a beer belly.

Is he willing to give up his beer for induction? If he doesn't have that much to lose, or if he's one of those guys (dang men) who lose easily, atkins for life could be the way to go. It's much more liberal. If you both do induciton together though it can be much easier.

It's also really good you guys are plannign ahead and researching first. Make sure not to have a big carb blow out the night before as kind of a last bender. Some people od that and it just makes the withdrawls worse Clean out your pantry of all junk foods and sguar, then stock up on LC snacks so you have things on hand and aren't tempted to cheat because there is no choice.

Stay away from the processed Lc foods at least in the begining. Sticking to whole foods such as meats, veggies and fats. It really does help with cravings and weight loss.

You might also check out www.fitday.com it helps many people here keep track of what they are eating, and how many carbs they really are getting. Rememebr Atkins is a high fat diet and most lose best at 65-70% of calories coming from fat, so don't have a heart attack when you see alot of fat

Another great site is www.mybodycomp.com this will allow you to keep trakc of your measurments. It will also help you see when you are losing body fat when the scale just isn't moving. Remember the goal is to lose fat and get healthy, not just lose weight