Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 07:18

Plan: Back to induction! :-)
Stats: 209/179/150 Female 5'8"
BF:Too Freakin Much!
Progress: 51%
Question LC meal replacement bars

Hello all,
I am just wondering if anyone knows which meal replacement bars are considered "acceptable" or "safe" other than the Atkins ones. I don't eat them often, only when I'm on the run and not prepared with my own foods (maybe twice a month or so). I enjoy the Atkins ones but I find they are soo expensive ($3 a bar!) I have noticed some other cheaper ones that claim to be "carb blockers" etc. but I don't really know what to look for to know if they are "okay" or not. Any advice??? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 08:07

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%

Don't know any off hand other then Carb Solutions.
Check this forum though..

http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 08:48

Plan: Cyclic Ketogenic Diet (Ti
Stats: 212/149/140 Male 5'7
BF:
Progress: 88%

just think about it though... i used to believe that these bars were pretty expensive, but just think how much you'll be spending eating out even at fastfood places, the bars are still cheaper

btw, shopper's drugmart is offering advantage bars for 6.99 for 3!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 10:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

I have heard people say they liked the EAS bars better and they were cheaper. Never tried them myself.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 10:29
Registered Member

Stats: 182/160/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 52%

I eat a Morning Start bar almost every day for breakfast with my coffee. I just couldn't handle bacon and eggs. I eat the Cinnamon Bun ones - they did take a little getting used to but now I really like them. They satisfy the sweetness craving that used to mean a frosted raisin scone or donuts for breakfast, and they keep me satisfied until lunch time. I don't really care much for the other bars but these are one of my staples.

My husband is now low-carbing even though he is rail thin. He is trying to lower his cholesterol and triglycerides. He enjoys these breakfast bars, too. He just had his blood work done this past week and after just a month his cholesterol went up slightly but his triglycerides dropped by 100pts. He is going to cut back to skim milk again (he's been using whole milk lately) and see if that helps bring down his cholesterol. But he's really pleased.

Laurie
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 18:06

Cool! Thanks for all your feedback regarding the bars. I have seen the EAS ones and wanted to try but wasn't sure. I just also want to say that I am feeling pretty darn good about this whole LC thing....I've been going strong for over seven weeks - cheat free - and am down 16 lbs so far! It really is a great feeling and I don't even WANT to change my way of eating...I'm enjoying this a lot now! Of course I still have a couple of friends who "poke fun" at my eating habits but they are ultimately supportive and the one friend is even cutting back on her carbs ever so slightly in a non-chalant sort of way because she sees what progress I am making. I just know that one of these days she will fully climb aboard this LC wagon!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 09:07

Stats: 180/163/125 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

Be sure you use the hidden carb calculator on this website, to check these bars. I was eating Odessy Bars, daily, and they were yummy. Felt like I was having a candy bar without the sugar crash, and lots of protein besides. But when I calculated the hidden carbs they came out to be something around 28 - way above Atkins max on induction. I don't understand the whole sugar alcohol thing and I would like to hear whether one should consume these or not.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 17:15

I have not heard of the Nutrilite bars....hmmm, I will have to look for those next time. I don't understand the whole sugar alcohol thing either....I'd just rather have it all figured out for me....(gee don't I sound lazy???!!! LOL)
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 18:26

Plan: checking out Atkins plan
Stats: 140/128/120 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 60%

I think *meal replacement* bars are a bunch of Bunk!
It sounds like slim fast..and other diets that tout easy meals.

If you don't have time to eat..what do you have time for? come on...your body comes 1st..take some time..I'm about as busy as anyone I know yet I still find time to cook up some stuff, or throw together something for lunch tomorrow.

Just my opinion...I think meal replacements are not really part of this Life Style.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 18:41
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/131/115 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 68%

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyluver
I think *meal replacement* bars are a bunch of Bunk!
It sounds like slim fast..and other diets that tout easy meals.

If you don't have time to eat..what do you have time for? come on...your body comes 1st..take some time..I'm about as busy as anyone I know yet I still find time to cook up some stuff, or throw together something for lunch tomorrow.

They're probably not the best thing to eat all the time, but once in a while, when you're late to work and need to grab something as you run out the door, a bar will work (since you don't have time to cook your nice healthy low carb breakfast of scrambled eggs and bacon! )

Myself - I don't like them, though i'm going to give the atkins breakfast bars a chance - I'm going on vacation, and we're not going to be eating out every morning, so I need something that I can eat for breakfast that will keep in the hotel room (no fridge) for a week.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 18:45

Plan: just low carb
Stats: 350/305/150 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 23%

I, personally, think meal replacement bars are an Excellent way of taking care of lunch on the run. BioChem Deluxe Chocolate Mint are good, and there is another brand that Walmat carries that has a Choc Chip Cookie Dough flavor.

I also know that if I spend a lot of time shopping for ingredients and preparing food, the more I Think about food -- which is something that has always gotten me into trouble in the past.

I'm working on changing my way of thinking in terms of Eating to Live -- away from Living to Eat.

Just my own opinion, I've never been much on doing something just because it was considered appropriate.....

I've always been one to follow my own drum.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 16:38

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/157/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 40%

The morning start bars are WAY too sweet for me. In the months I was losing my weight, I tried very hard not to eat bars, they slow down your loss, you probably know that.

EAS is a good brand; both for their low carb, (be SURE to read the label) shakes and bars. Not too sweet, pretty filling.

As for taking the time to cook, I say, "Ya, right!!" That may be part of the lifestyle in your family, or in Michegan, but in New York, and as a single mom, it's DEFINATELY an on-the-go lifestyle. Neither is right or wrong, it's just how we learn to nourish our body wisely with the time available.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 17:13

Plan: checking out Atkins plan
Stats: 140/128/120 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 60%

Oh my goodness! I don't think it has a thing to do with *where you are from* be it Michigan or New York. Who's to say who is busier? It's just a matter of choice..do you want to cook a little & eat healthier or opt for the easier way...

I agree though..there is no Right or Wrong on this issue..we all just have our own opinions