Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-03, 15:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/179.8/130 Female 5'4.75"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default What do I say to my mother?

During Thanksgiving supper my mother heard my sister and I discussing low-carbing, my sister is looking into CAD. Anyway my mother came up to me and said that low carbing is all together bad because you increase your protien intake, HUH? I was at a loss for words. I didn't answer her, but now that I think about it, I never increased my protien intake just my veggies. What would you have said to her, don't forget she is my mother? And why would an increase in protien be bad?

By the way I'm pretty sure it had something to do with my mothers friend had a heart attack right after starting Atkins.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-03, 16:17

Stats: 165/165/135 Female 5ft 5in
BF:

My Mom actually loaned me her CAD book a couple years ago

I think I would reassure your mom that you are being cautious... that you have read the book and will be watching your health closely. Offer to loan her your book so that she can be familiar with the lifestyle and not make snap judgments.

I have been warned by well-meaning people to watch my cholestorol etc... and I just smile and tell them that I am.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-03, 17:07

Plan: formerly Atkins
Stats: 350/232/225 Female 5' 8"
BF:mooooo/moo/buff
Progress: 94%

I always correct people and tell them Atkins is high FAT not high protein. Correcting them usually shuts them up, not always though.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-03, 17:12
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Mothers, IMHO, don't need to be treated any differently than anyone else who's trying to tell you something that isn't true. "I've done a lot of research and I've never seen any evidence of that" is probably what I would say.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-03, 17:23

Plan: adkins
Stats: 160/148.5/130 Female 5 4
BF:
Progress: 38%

My mom thinks the diet isnt really great for a person, but she does listen to me rave about it. She is also a diabetic type II. I think her docter discourages the diet but it could be because shes a diabetic. She is a weight watchers gal.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-03, 17:35
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Mother's can be hard to tell anything. My mom is doing no sugar, no flour diet. Which I support. But everytime she hears the word "Atkins" she goes off on a tangent about how dangerous it is :P

Instead of giving it a spacific name, just tell your mother you are concentrating on eating healthy. You want to remove refined sugar, flour, and overly processed foods from your diet. You are making this lifestyle change to decrease your weight and improve heart health.

While she may object to Atkins or other LC programs, how can she object to you eating more veggies, and less junk food?

When she starts to see the great progress your making, and how much good food you enjoy she may start getting curious and asking you more questions. At that time maybe start slowly telling her about your WOL. By that itme you will probably be in OWL and eating more moderate fat and somewhat higher carbs.

Have tests done on cholesterol and such so you can show evidence that you are not damaging your health, rather improving it. Invite her over for a LC feast that includes a meat dish, tons of veggies, side dishes ect. You don't even have to tell her it's LC, just smile as she digs in. When she sees that you are eating "normally" and even foods she enjoys she may relax.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-03, 08:25

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I think "Atkins" has become a buzzword trigger for a lot of people. It's like tapping their knee with a little hammer.
"Atkins."
"Dangerous!"
So ditch the trigger. Tell her you have given what she said a lot of thought (true) that you have changed your eating habits (true) and decided just to cut out the junk food (true.)
How can anyone argue with that?
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-03, 08:49

Stats: 180/179.8/130 Female 5'4.75"
BF:

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I tried telling her I was just eating low carb but then out of no where she says "well but what's the plan called you know the name." I told her Atkins and then it all started but that was last month.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-03, 08:53

Plan: atkins
Stats: 220/190/160 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 50%

people often tell me atkins isn't good for me....i always ask them "does that mean it's healthier to eat chips ahoy and tootsie rolls, then? really, i eat more vegetables and berries than ever before and I feel great and all my lab work came back wonderful!" that's about all i say and then i move on.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-03, 12:27
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

Quote:
Darklotus
I always correct people and tell them Atkins is high FAT not high protein. Correcting them usually shuts them up, not always though.

That would stop anyone I know from worrying about my eating stlye!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-03, 14:30

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I loooooooooove the HIGH FAT comment! I'm going to use that one!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-03, 14:52
Registered Member

Plan: Low Glycemic Load
Stats: 260/228/160 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by adukart
By the way I'm pretty sure it had something to do with my mothers friend had a heart attack right after starting Atkins.

For starters, I would want to make sure that she understands that the blockages that caused this heart attack were developing over the years. A perfectly healthy person does not start Atkins and then instantly develop blockages and have a heart attack.

I would just emphasize to your MOM how much better you are eating on low-carb (no junk and lots of veggies) and hopefully as she sees you losing weight and feeling great, she will be more objective about how you are eating.

Last edited by Zimms : Thu, Dec-04-03 at 14:57.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-03, 00:11
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 236/127/130 Female 5'6
BF:98.7%/46.8%/36.8%/
Progress: 103%

my brother now know as mr Porkie keeps telling me how bad atkins is. I tell him it wrost to be as fat as i was. And that maybe he should try it. Lets talk about his thanks giving 3 pices of pie with ice cream, 4 helping of stuffing turcky crandberry sause, Aptizes shirmp in marmalde.

I was very carfule. Every one keeped tell him how fat he looked next to me. His suit was too tight is shirt was poping button. I told him dont bash atakin i think you should try it
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Dec-06-03, 21:44

Plan: pp
Stats: 167.6/164/140 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:
Progress: 13%

PS - Whatever you say, add in an "I love you, Mom". That always helps - take it from a mother.