Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 11:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default "Latter-day Saints question benefits of Atkins"

Latter-day Saints question benefits of Atkins

By Stephanie Sonksen NewsNet Staff Writer - 3 Mar 2004

http://newsnet.byu.edu/story.cfm/48850

Jonathan Williams, a sophomore from Orem, takes a bite of his bunless 2/3 pound hamburger. The Atkins diet requires high-protein, low-carb eating habits.

Dr. Robert Atkins made a name for himself in 1972 with his book "Diet Revolution." His proposal targeted carbohydrates as the enemy and fat as OK, and the nation began its quest for low-fat everything.

After 30 years of ridicule, the Atkins way of thinking has swept the nation.

Although the diet has become revolutionary in the way people view fat and carbs, it has attracted controversy.

The diet, recently renamed the Atkins Nutritional Approach, says it is not how much people eat, but what they eat that causes weight gain.

The approach begins by eating only protein for the first few weeks, which allows the body to convert carb burning to fat burning. Vegetables are limited and fruit is off-limits at first. After the first phase, carbs and fruits are slowly reintroduced.

When ideal weight is achieved, the diet goes into the final phase of lifetime maintenance, which includes limiting carbs and eating plenty of protein.

Though The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has never provided an official stance about the Atkins diet, many members of the church believe the diet violates the Word of Wisdom, which advises people to eat meat sparingly and eat everything in moderation.

Dr. Robert Eckel of the American Heart Association said people on high-protein, low-carbohydrate diets have the risk of heart disease.

Elise Cannon, a sophomore majoring in biology, has seen positive results from the low-carb diet she began a month ago. She doesn't feel the diet contradicts her personal beliefs.

"I don't have an opinion until the church has an opinion," she said. "For right now, I'm staying with it because it is the only diet giving me results."

Lisa Fraser, a senior from Centerville, majoring in English, said she believes the diet is against the Word of Wisdom and damaging to the body.

"It's really bad for you," Fraser said. "What it does is it puts your body in an artificial diabetic stage. Your liver is getting damaged."

Fraser said people try Atkins as a way to lose weight quickly, but the method is unhealthy and difficult to maintain.

"Just because you lose weight doesn't mean you're healthy," she said.

Fraser said she feels people are disobeying counsel given in the Doctrine and Covenants by eating excessive amounts of meat and harming their bodies in the process.

"When are we going to learn that God knows what he's talking about?" Fraser said.

Fraser said she also relies on scientific research showing the negative side effects of a low-carb diet.

"Aside from the Word of Wisdom, it's really bad for you," Fraser said. "If you care about your body, you won't do that to it."

Curtis Heyman, a senior from Mesa, Ariz., majoring in advertising and marketing, said he believes Atkins works and does not view it as going against the Word of Wisdom. His parents have been doing the diet for six months and have seen dramatic results.

"I think your physical body affects your spirit," Heyman said. "My parents are happier people physically, therefore, they are happier people spiritually."

Heyman advised people not to become caught up in the idea that diets provide the solution.

"People are getting so into these diets they forget they need to exercise," he said. "Diets don't solve everything."

Ace Halverson, a junior from Provo, said he believes low-carb diets are against the Word of Wisdom, and the answer to weight loss isn't found in eating excessive amounts of protein.

"I've seen a lot of people complain about their weight at the same time as eating chips," Halverson said. "So they go on these diets because they have no self-control."
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 12:18
Registered Member

Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

I showed the article to the co-worker who introduced me to the Atkins Diet. He also happens to be a bishop in the LDS church. He assured me that the diet was not in conflict with LDS teachings.

Last edited by gotbeer : Thu, Mar-04-04 at 17:32.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 12:27

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotbeer
"When are we going to learn that God knows what he's talking about?"

I never argue with God.

It's the representatives here on earth who mess things up.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 12:27
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

LOL! I'm glad we have english majors teaching us about proper nutrition now.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 13:50

Stats: 215/150/?? Male 5' 11
BF:25%/17%/<10%
Progress:

The flaw in this thinking is that people assume when you go on this diet you start eating dramatically increased amounts of meat. I found that my meat eating did not increase, I just started replacing the potatoes, rice and corn with broccoli, salads and other real veggies. I was always ordering double cheeseburgers from the fast food places. Now I just don't eat the bun and fries.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 14:02
Gettin' Close

Plan: LC
Stats: 274/220.6/210 Male 6'2"
BF:33/23/15
Progress: 83%

adkpam, what a great answer!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 15:54

Plan: The Real Human Diet
Stats: 225/165/180 Male 5'8"
BF:?/?/8.6%
Progress: 133%

I'm with you, chef. I seriously doubt that I eat much more meat than I did before. I do eat a little more protein because I usually have eggs for breakfast instead of a bagel or cereal. But other than that, little has changed as far as meat consumption.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 16:12

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
"I don't have an opinion until the church has an opinion," she said.

This quote bothers me a bit. Since when is the church supposed to be doing all of our thinking for us? Last time I checked, God issued each and every one of us a brain; I believe He intended for us to use them.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 16:24

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
"When are we going to learn that God knows what he's talking about?"

As far as I know, God hasn't yet handed out stone tablets containing nutrional advice to Abraham or any one else.

This is a ridiculous statement.

Believe me if God was to appear to me and tell me what to eat, I'd listen
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 17:30

Plan: Doctor
Stats: 264/142/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:43% before/24% now
Progress:
Wink Read the Entire Word of Wisdom

The Word of Wisdom does indicate that flesh is ordained for the use of man, but to be used sparingly. It is also pleasing unto God that they should not be used, only in times of winter, or of cold, or famine.--D & C 89:12-13
While many of us have heard and read these scriptures for years, let's not stop at verse 13. Verse 14 says that all grain is for our use, "to be the staff of life." Verse 15 says "And these hath God made for the use of man only in times of famine and excess of hunger."
This verse does NOT refer back to verse 12.
Grain, whole grain IS good for man, again not to be used in excess and certainly not to be used all stripped down to the point that the nutritive value has been depleted to the point of a simple carbohydrate.
The same goes for fruits. When the fruit is taken, stripped of the natural fibers and turned into juice, YES, JUICE, the end result is fructose, which turns to fat in the digestive process. When fruits are eaten, use small portions and eat them as they come off the tree (or plant.)
A low or no carb diet can be very beneficial, especially to the LDS culture. Atkins may not be the answer, but low or no carb lifestyles can be utilized without the excessive meat. How about more vegetables and eggs instead?
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 18:56

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL53563
I'm with you, chef. I seriously doubt that I eat much more meat than I did before. I do eat a little more protein because I usually have eggs for breakfast instead of a bagel or cereal. But other than that, little has changed as far as meat consumption.

My meat [especially red meat] consumption has gone up, but only because I was eating close to none before. I only ate meat once a week or two and at times would go a month or more without any meat, and even longer (up to 6 months) without any Red Meat. Unfortunately, what I did was replace that Healthy meat with Fattenign Grains [Pasta, Rice, Bread, etc...] What the Food Pyramid and USDA are pushing is not moderation...It is a diet heavy on Grains and virtually void of Animal Meats.

As for God's words:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis 1:26
And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis 1:28
And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis 9:1-4
And God blessed Noah and his sons, and said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth. And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth, and upon every fowl of the air, upon all that moveth upon the earth, and upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered. Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things. But flesh with the life thereof, which is the blood thereof, shall ye not eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers 11:5-13
We remember the fish, which we did eat in Egypt freely; the cucumbers, and the melons, and the leeks, and the onions, and the garlick: But now our soul is dried away: there is nothing at all, beside this manna, before our eyes. And the manna was as coriander seed, and the colour thereof as the colour of bdellium. And the people went about, and gathered it, and ground it in mills, or beat it in a mortar, and baked it in pans, and made cakes of it: and the taste of it was as the taste of fresh oil. And when the dew fell upon the camp in the night, the manna fell upon it. Then Moses heard the people weep throughout their families, every man in the door of his tent: and the anger of the LORD was kindled greatly; Moses also was displeased. And Moses said unto the LORD, Wherefore hast thou afflicted thy servant? and wherefore have I not found favour in thy sight, that thou layest the burden of all this people upon me? Have I conceived all this people? have I begotten them, that thou shouldest say unto me, Carry them in thy bosom, as a nursing father beareth the sucking child, unto the land which thou swarest unto their fathers? Whence should I have flesh to give unto all this people? for they weep unto me, saying, Give us flesh, that we may eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 21:5-14
Then Jesus saith unto them, Children, have ye any meat? They answered him, No. And he said unto them, Cast the net on the right side of the ship, and ye shall find. They cast therefore, and now they were not able to draw it for the multitude of fishes. Therefore that disciple whom Jesus loved saith unto Peter, It is the Lord. Now when Simon Peter heard that it was the Lord, he girt his fisher's coat unto him, (for he was naked,) and did cast himself into the sea. And the other disciples came in a little ship; (for they were not far from land, but as it were two hundred cubits,) dragging the net with fishes. As soon then as they were come to land, they saw a fire of coals there, and fish laid thereon, and bread. Jesus saith unto them, Bring of the fish which ye have now caught. Simon Peter went up, and drew the net to land full of great fishes, an hundred and fifty and three: and for all there were so many, yet was not the net broken. Jesus saith unto them, Come and dine. And none of the disciples durst ask him, Who art thou? knowing that it was the Lord. Jesus then cometh, and taketh bread, and giveth them, and fish likewise. This is now the third time that Jesus shewed himself to his disciples, after that he was risen from the dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 25:34-36
Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 25:40-43
And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 20:32
Lurking LowCarber

Stats: 203/182/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc48510
As for God's words:

LDS is not entirely based on the Bible from which you quoted, at least it wasn't ten years ago. Who knows now. Link

I remember something about eating foods that are good for you and taking in no caffeine or any other substance, which sounds like it would be the perfect advocate for a low-carb diet. I could be wrong, of course, since I'm not Mormon, but then again, there were some people in the article who could be wrong ("It's really bad for you," Fraser said. "What it does is it puts your body in an artificial diabetic stage. Your liver is getting damaged.") since they're not low-carbing.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 21:57
Registered Member

Plan: HFH
Stats: 297/291/200 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%

Quote:
Though The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has never provided an official stance about the Atkins diet, many members of the church believe the diet violates the Word of Wisdom, which advises people to eat meat sparingly and eat everything in moderation.

Where does the Bible say this? Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Christ eat meat and fish regularly?
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 06:00
Registered Member

Stats: 256/190/180 Male 69 inches
BF:yes
Progress: 87%

"When are we going to learn that God knows what he's talking about?" Fraser said.

well She has never spoken to Me
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 09:21

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinadal
Where does the Bible say this? Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Christ eat meat and fish regularly?

Exactly, that was part of my point with the verses. Especially the one where the people complaining that they have no "flesh" to eat, only "manna" (Bread).

Quote:
We remember the fish, which we did eat in Egypt freely; the cucumbers, and the melons, and the leeks, and the onions, and the garlick: But now our soul is dried away: there is nothing at all, beside this manna, before our eyes. And the manna was as coriander seed, and the colour thereof as the colour of bdellium. And the people went about, and gathered it, and ground it in mills, or beat it in a mortar, and baked it in pans, and made cakes of it: and the taste of it was as the taste of fresh oil. And when the dew fell upon the camp in the night, the manna fell upon it. Then Moses heard the people weep throughout their families, every man in the door of his tent: and the anger of the LORD was kindled greatly; Moses also was displeased. And Moses said unto the LORD, Wherefore hast thou afflicted thy servant? and wherefore have I not found favour in thy sight, that thou layest the burden of all this people upon me? Have I conceived all this people? have I begotten them, that thou shouldest say unto me, Carry them in thy bosom, as a nursing father beareth the sucking child, unto the land which thou swarest unto their fathers? Whence should I have flesh to give unto all this people? for they weep unto me, saying, Give us flesh, that we may eat.