Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-24-02, 13:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 176/174/130
BF:
Progress: 4%
Default Advice - Atkins or Stillmans??

I need to either re-induct on Atkins or try Stillmans - I lost around 28lbs last year - but I've put it all back on plus some in the last three to four months - I'm scared to try re-induction in case I just put more weight on - but Stillmans seems very strict and if I fail on that - there doesn't seem to be any way to get back to a more ralaxed way of eating with out then re gaining weight.
But I'm determined to do something - So any advice would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-24-02, 13:54

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

Hi Scorpio - I am assuming that you gained all your weight back because you went back to your old way of eating, which will happen on whatever program you attempt. Atkins isn't a "diet" to go off of once the weight has been shed, it's a way of life and a way of eating. I would start right back at the beginning and go through induction and really attempt to stick with it. Being English myself, I find this the best way for me, since I can eat all that marvelous cheese, cream, meats, etc. which was what we were raised on.

Give it another go, I'm sure you'll do great - you did it once and I'm sure you felt great.

Good luck.

Vikki
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-24-02, 14:54

Stats: 230/136/145 Female 5'8.5"
BF:33.95/24.51/20
Progress: 111%

Scorpio...

It sounds like the Atkins program worked for you last year. Vikki is right, you really have to learn this as a lifestyle change otherwise the weight will come back...that also happens with low-calorie diets. I would encourage you to try Atkins again and this time add more variety to your program so that it's easier to stay on track and maintain.

I wouldn't try a program that you don't think you can be successful at. I wouldn't limit my fat at this time...I tried that and I almost went off the program - it was too hard (for me).

There are others on this bb who are doing the Stillman program and seem to be successful at it. You could try doing a search under Stillman...to see how others are doing.

Either way, we welcome you to the site and wlcome back to LCing.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-02, 08:42

Stats: 176/174/130
BF:
Progress: 4%

Thanks for your advice - I did feel great when I lost weight and I really don't know how I let it pile back on again but here goes -
I'm re-reading induction advice and I'm getting back on track -
Thanks again for your help
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-02, 09:50
Registered Member

Plan: SuManKins
Stats: 321/249/221 Female 64 inches
BF:Let's not go there
Progress: 72%
Talking Your choice scorpio~

Stillman Plan Summary (click here)
Scorpio, here is a summary that I done on the Stillmans diet... the others are right... it is a very restrictive diet, but there are some, for whom it works. If you do some reading there, you will find that I am doing a combination of Stillman and Atkins plan... this may sound like a contradiction in terms... but it is something that I am comfortable with and what works for me. The key here is finding something that will work for you... Atkins was too high fat for my liking... I am now experimenting with my combination plan, and should I not get the results I want, then I will do some more tweaking, until I find something that works for me... that is the key... something YOU can live with... altho I do not plan on eating like I am for the rest of my life, I do know that sugars,and overly processed carbs, are not a good thing for me... and when I do add more carbs back into my w/o/e, they will be more natural ones, and not so many manmade ones... I hope you can find something that will work for you and good luck~