Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 04:53

Plan: Dr. Bernstein's
Stats: 205/180/105
BF:31.8%
Progress: 25%
Angry Help

I have been on induction for over a week now and have not lost a pound. I have followed this faithfully and cannot see any changes in the scales. Can someone please help. I am burning ketones/ moderate level. So that shows that the fat is going but the scales show no change. I keep gonig from 176.5 to 176. This is driving me crazy leave alone feeling very discouraged. My email address is ******** Would love to hear from anyone any information to help.
I had lost 30 lbs previously with Dr. B's but find it too expensive so switched over to Atkins. It seems to work on the same priniciple as Dr. Bs but a lot less carbs which will not hurt me as I am diabetic. My sugars are now reading within non diabetic range. Whoopeeee for this though but no more weight loss. .
Thank you for any feedback.

Julia
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 05:54
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi there Julia,

How about posting some of your menus so we can possibly see if there is something we can help you with?

I can't help wondering if you are eating enough. Although the Dr B clinic diet is very low in calories, low carb eating plans have no such restriction.

As for the ketostix, a positive reading does not necessarily mean you are burning fat. Personally I think the stix are a waste of time and money. You will get a positive result from eating a fatty meal, drinking alcohol, being dehydrated or from starvation. So while showing ketones in your urine may mean you are burning fat, it may also mean one of the things I mentioned.

BTW Julia, I've edited your post to remove the email address. If you check our forum rules, you'll we ask you not to post these. Anyone who wishes to reply to you can do so right here.

All the best.

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 06:46

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

It can take three or four days to move into ketosis, so you theoretically, it could be that your body has only been burning fat for three days. You may get a big whoosh next week. Just hang in there

L
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 11:37

Plan: Atkins and Aerobics
Stats: 296/267/190
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default Wait and see

I think you've got a few more days to get past the carb requirements your body has.

BIG QUESTION- are you taking insulin? My father is and its a known limiting factor on the effectiveness of the diet. Work with your doctor to eat right, and gradually lower your insulin intake, it worked for him.

If not, check your Ketosis level, I've found the most effective reading to be towards the mild side, anything middle or right tells my body to hold on to nutrition and go in starvation mode.

Other tips, drink more water, I take a gallon/day, and add a good multivitamin for nutrition.

Lastly, forget the scales, establish an outfit, or some pants, shirt, etc, and try it on once a week. I use a belt I bought at my biggest size, and have added holes as I shrink. Thats a great feeling. Good luck.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 11:47
Urban Jungle Denizen

Stats: 180/165/150 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Julia

When I started the induction phase, I went against the recommendations, and did NOT weigh myself at all. I know myself, and stressing about numbers is bad for me.

I stayed on induction for 3 weeks. during the first week, I didn't notice any change at all. During the second week I thought that maybe something was happening, but I resisted. During week 3, I could definitely tell that my clothes were fitting better, and then I didn't feel any need to weigh myself at all - how I look is much more important to me.

Anyway, do NOT despair. It will most likely happen for you, if not this week, then next week. And the more anxious you are, the worse it is.

Hang in there!