Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-31-04, 16:01
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 204/187/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default Dr. Phil's Weight Loss Book...

Have any of you read Dr. Phil's Weight Loss Solution book? And if so, how/in what way has it helped you? I think it's safe to say that behind many of us being overweight, there is a link to internal issues that need to be dealt with before we can do this. I know some of you are big supporters of the book, like Potatofree, so I was just wondering if you had any thoughts...I really appreciate it! ~Starkat
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-31-04, 18:13
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Who, ME?? <batting eyes innocently>

It covers a lot of territory, and puts it in plain English (sometimes Texan..lol) and the exercises are really good, IMO, for getting at the root of the problem. Yet, in the meantime, the practical, common-sense tips keep you going.(SEE? and I kept it short! )

ps. the link in my signature will take you to the website, where you can dig around and get the gist of what he covers.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-31-04, 21:11
Registered Member

BF:

I was hoping you would post Potatofree! I just went to the website from your link, and it literally brought me to tears. I know that I have serious problems with emotional eating, whether it be from anger, sadness, anxiety, or just plain ol' boredom. Answering the questions and taking the tests from Dr. Phil's website has really opened my eyes to situations that I know I need to deal with. If you're reading this...I STRONGLY recommend checking out the site, because I know that there is something to be taken away from it for everyone. Happy low-carbing!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-31-04, 22:01
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I'm glad you got something out of it. He's not everyone's cup of tea, but I like the way he lays it all out. Today, for example, a wife who had "tried really hard" to follow the plan, but her husband "got in her way" <whiney tone> She was blaming her husband since he drove to the store for her to get Little Debbies and he also brought her ice cream when she told him to. He acknowledged that the husband should be supportive of her, and be firm in helping her make better choices, but made her realize that it wasn't HIM "Making" her eat badly, but that she was an adult, accountable for her own actions. She couldn't backpedal and try to blame the husband when it was on national tv showing him doing as he was TOLD.

He challenged her to take responsibility for her own behavior, and she HATED it, but Dr Phil offered her the same "accountability" he gave his weight loss challengers...weigh-ins, following her progress ... She couldn't say NO to him, and the husband looked 10 lbs lighter from relief! Here he was dragged to the show for it being "all his fault" as she made clear... You could tell it pained her to give up her crutch, but he cut right through her denial and blame and made her face up to her own manipulation in the situation.

I guess the book does that for me..all the little rationalizations I make and all the crutches I use to support my bad habits were pretty well ingrained, and I didn't WANT to dig down and figure it out...and I'm right in the middle of catching a major backslide and working through the 7 keys again, a little more honestly this time. I'm finding a few weak spots I had kind of let slide the last time through...<sigh>

Okay, I didn't keep my Phil Sermon short THIS time...
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-31-04, 22:12
Registered Member

BF:

Hey...you don't have to keep it short for me! I love to hear stories like this, and I love it too, the way Dr. Phil gives it to you LIKE IT IS. The way he can put things in terms that people can understand is truly a gift, and I plan on buying the book this week to begin my steps to recovery. I always begin things with the best of intentions, and then slowly my resolve slips away...I'm hoping that by uncovering the real motivations behind my actions, it will enable me to make positive decisions for myself for the long-term. I really appreciate your knowledgeable words, and best of luck to you on the journey forward. I figure it's best to figure this out now, rather than battling myself for the rest of my life. Weight, food, exercise, etc. has consumed my mind for far too long, and has gotten me nowhere. I need a hobby....
Goodnight! ~Starkat