Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: What is your favorite ATKINS item?
Peanut Butter cups 3 37.50%
Chips 0 0%
Atkins bars 3 37.50%
Atkins Shakes 2 25.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 22:17

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power Plan
Stats: 282/245/160 Female 5'9"
BF:Yes!
Progress: 30%
Default A newbie from the Pacific Northwest!

Hi all! I just found this website via Ask Jeeves! I'm SOO glad I did!
I started the Atkins diet this past week.. I had been on SO many diets and everything failed.. I even did the "Ronell Diet" consisting of Diet Coke, a Costco soft pretzel and a salad. I lost 60lbs in 2 months , I was feeling and looking great! Until I ended up in the hospital with a gall bladder infection due to me not consuming enough fat. The minute I started eating low-fat items, after all, I had lost all this weight, I sure didnt want to gain it all back! Well, as sure as people think it only rains in Seattle, I gained ALL my weight back, plus a few more..I gave up!
Well, years went by, I had a baby and LOST 45 lbs amazingly! Went back to work, HELLO 60 MORE pounds! I just couldnt win. I honestly gave up. Until about a month ago. I watched a special they had on Nightline (or one of those late night shows) about 6 people going to a 20 year high-school reunion. Each of them needed to loose weight.. One of the guys went on the Atkins diet and KICKED BUTT! I thought i'd try it one of these days.. But never did, until last week. I found the "Atkins New Diet Revolution" book, read it, and started. I had weighed myself prior and was a sickening 275 .. I weight myself 5 days later, 267.. I LOST WEIGHT! I was at walmart shopping for some Atkins bars, stopped off in the "scale" section, weighed myself, the scale said 284!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I stepped off and my heart dropped. I could feel my eyes swell up. I looked to make sure the scale was set at zero, it was. Stepped up again, 284. I started crying. I got so upset.. I had been so strict on myself, I dont know what happened. I went out and instead of buying the Atkins bars, went to McDonalds and had a Big Mac meal. Ate everything. My 8 year old, who has been a VERY big helper, she made sure I didnt eat anything I wasnt supposed to. I taugh her where to look on the labels for the total Carb grams.. When she saw me bite into the Big Mac she got VERY mad at me. I dont know why I did that to myself! I have been checking my ketones, PURPLE every single day. I honestly dont know what I did wrong. I DO NOT WANT TO FAIL AGAIN.. I am going to start all over again Monday, August 4th. I am NOT going to weigh myself everyday. I am not going to fail again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I want to get down to 150 or so.. Although when I weighed 175, I felt great..I just want to atleast go UNDER 200, and i'd be a happy ATKINS dieter! Everyone have a great week, thanks for letting me vent!
Best of luck to all! Take care, Ronell : )
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 22:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

Hi Ronell! Pull up a chair and join us. We are glad to have you here. You will be fine honey. Sometimes it's just hard when you get dissapointed. Lord knowsI've sure done it enough. Atkins is the only diet I've found that I believe I can do as a way of life. I've tried 'em all too. As far as your weight gain...could have been lots of things. Different scales weigh different. I always weigh more at my doctors office than I do at home. Could have been water retention. That will vary from day to day, especially for us women. Don't worry about it or the "comfort food." Don't beat yourself up, just start again and forget it. There is plenty of support available here so don't be afraid to ask. Good luck! It sounds like you have some strong support in your daughter! She is showing she loves you and wants to keep you around.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 22:50

Talking

Hi! Thanks for the quick reply! My goodness! I never even thought about water retention.. I just gave up so quickly.. My daughter has been a GREAT help the past week. She even got me the McDonalds nutrition card.. She said "Mom! Did you know that the 4 piece chicken nuggets have only 12 grams of carbs!?" Sure enough, they do only have 12.. Not sure they'd be so good to eat though. In anycase, I want to be a success story, not a failure story! I searched the web for a support group and I have found it! I'm here until i'm 150!! : ) Thank You Lori!!!
Take care, Ronell
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 22:56

Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

You are so welcome Ronell! We all support each other and no one loves a success story more than me!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 17:03

Plan: CALP/Schwarzbien
Stats: 212.5/192/172.5 Female 5' 8
BF:
Progress: 51%

Hi Ronell!

Welcome to the forum! Hang in there, I am sure you will get on track.

As far as weighing yourself goes, always use the same scale and always weigh first thing in the morning. Weight can fluctuate throughout the day. I gain 3 - 5 pounds from morning to night, but it is all gone by the next morning. It is just water. Also, the more you weigh, the more your weight can fluctuate. If you follow your plan, please know it will work. You can see that by reading all these posts, this low carbing will work!

Also remember time flies when you are having fun. Vary your diet, have fun with your food and activities.

Come see me at my journal if you would like.

Take care, I'm pulling for you!

deb
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 18:26

Plan: adkins
Stats: 182/178/135 Female 5'4 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

Hi Ronnell,
I was just curious, about your weigh in at Walmart
is that the same scale you weighed in before? because it could be either of the scales was out of wack...maybe your weight wasnt so far off as you thought?

If you can, try weighing on similar scales at around the same time of the day- this may give you more confidence in your measurements. Oh and speaking of measurement- that scale doesn't always reflect whats happening in your body. Its how you look and FEEL that are important factors!

Good luck
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 22:23

Talking A new start

Hi all! Thanks for all your messages! Well, the scale at Wal*Mart was just a "while i'm here, lets see" thing.. I pulled down one of the Denise Austin one's, made sure it was at zero and stepped on. I have a cheap one at home, which i'm starting to wonder about. I weighed myself before going to bed last night, I was 272 .. I weighed myself this morning thinking i'd be less, I was 278 .... I have decided not to weigh myself each and every day.. I learned my lession. Today was a *NEW START* for me. I did well, my total for today is 12 carbs... I was like a kid in a candy store today... I found the "Atkins" section of my local Fred Meyer-which I never realized they carried Atkins!! Although most everything was SOLD OUT, I did manage to pick up a package of pancake mix.. Now I know if they have an item in stock...STOCK UP!

I have a question for everybody. I did the little survey here to see what everyone likes.. I have tried the Atkins peanut butter cups-they are VERY good! I just tried one of the peanut butter bars made by "Carb Solutions"-they're horrid! Does anybody have a favorite item? I will try one of the shakes one of these days (when a store actually has some in stock!!).

Thanks everyone for your support, i'm glad I found you all !
Everyone have a great week!
Take care, Ronell
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 22:43

Plan: low carb
Stats: 174/110/110 Female 5' 1"
BF:20.8
Progress: 100%

Hello Ronell, now to me if you are on induction... and want to lose weight, stay off the low carb sweet stuff. Eat fat, meat, green veggies. You will start losing right away....and won't gain weight like that. Eggs are a good thing to eat too to lose weight.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 13:22

I LOST 3 LBS! Holy Cow! I cant believe it! I was at a Vets office yesterday and I stepped on their BIG digital scale (while nobody was around, thank god!) and it said 272(at 5pm!!) WOAH! I stepped on this scale this morning and it said 270, but I know during the day it will go up.. (hopefully not higher then 2 lbs!) I'm getting a little pumped now .
I actually chit-chatted with a lady at the grocery store who started Atkins 3 weeks ago, she's lost a pound a day-15 in total. I was a LITTLE jelous, but I know I will get results no matter what.. WOO HOO!
I've been reading the NEW Atkins diet book, some different things then the previous one I was reading. This one says NO FRUIT in the first 2 weeks-im just finishing up week #1. I actually went out and bought some peaches PRIOR to reading that section.. I hadnt eaten any yet.. Then I read the NO FRUIT part and passed my nice, juicy peaches on to my mom.. 2 weeks.........
I WANT MY RASPBERRIES AND MY PEACHES!! Ah... Patience...
I just bought a new smoothie maker for the "future" (in 1 week). Thought I could make some nice smoothies with Strawberries, Raspberries, Blueberries.. Cant wait!!!!!!!!!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 14:00

Stats: 175/161/130 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

Welcome!

My favorite are the Atkin's Endulge bars... very yummy but some of the types make my tummy upset once in a while from the sugar alcohols.

Re: McDonalds or other fast food places -- I usually go with a salad. McDonalds will even give you an extra piece of chicken for a small fee if you ask. And, make sure you get the full-fat ranch!

Anyway, welcome! You can do it!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 15:49

I can feel your excitement Ronell...I am so very, very, happy for you. Congrates....This is wonderful news. Wish I was there to celebrate with you.

I gain a lb or two during the day, and I do believe that is normal... Happened before LCing.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 17:49

Stats: 224/207/140 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress:

Hi, Ronnell.
I am new at this carbo stuff, too.
This is my first submission - since I live in the NW too I had to say hello.
I weighed 224 when I figured I needed to drop some tonnage.
I stopped eating chocolate on Ash Wednesday 2003 and started Atkins in mid July.
I only weigh myself once a week to avoid obsession and so far I have lost about 17 pounds, averaging about 4-5 pounds per week which is great.
The Atkins Endulge bars are terrific, but I gag on the cappuccino shakes. Anybody have any good ideas for jazzing shakes up a bit?
I want to try Keto milk-substitution powder. Anybody have a good source since I haven't found it locally and can't even find out how to find out if I can get it locally.
Did WalMart have Atkins bars? I will have to check.
Anyway, keep up the good work Ronnell.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 18:06

Hi DeeCee, glad you are here too. You are doing so great on your weight loss. It is a good challange for the body isn't it?
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 18:27

Stats: 200/193/140 Female 5ft 6inches
BF:
Progress: 12%

Hi Ronell, I am so glad things are going better for you. I tried Atkins last year and lost 14Ibs in one week then stopped after a few weeks. Needless to say that 14Ibs soon went back on! This time I am so determined. No matter how slow the weight loss it's got to be better that gaining. After my first 7 days I had lost 7Ibs and was obviously delighted but have decided to keep on induction for another 2 weeks at least and not weigh myself for a fortnight. As everyone else has said, your weight can fluctuate so much in a day I don't want to let myself get down thinking I have not lost if I happen to weigh myself at the wrong time! Hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised next Monday when the fortnight is up. This way I feel I am in control, not the scales. Can I suggest thought that you maybe invest in a good set of scales for the house? That way you will get a better idea of what your weight loss really is. I agree with the others...different scales show different weights. Good luck and hope you continue your success........ San
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 18:45

Hi Sanny, nice to have you here. I would love to be able to weigh once a week, but the scale has it's power over my brain. Must weigh everymorning. Good for you though.