Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 22:47
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 176/158/135 Female 68.5 inches
BF:i don't even know
Progress: 44%
Question anyone else on meds??? how does it effect?

do meds effect weight loss or anything? i'm starting a new dosage of 25mg of lexapro for bi polar, and albuterol for asthma (it just started acting up). i was just wondering if any of these drugs could hinder the atkins diet? regardless, i have to take them, but i just wanted to know if i had to do preventative maintenence. any suggestions would be great.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 04:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 305/260/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 36%

I don't know about the specific perscriptions you have asked about - but I can tell you about my experiences. I'm on life long meds (Dexamethasone, a cortisol steriod for Adrenal Hyperplasia, and Synthroid, for hypo-thyroid). My Endo just recently started expermenting with changing dosages again and I believe I did see some affect with that in my weight loss. Thankfully after about 2 weeks of a stand still (before that I was losing like crazy) which I believe resulted from the dose change, the weight loss has picked back up and I am feeling better again. I know from having juggled dosages before that it usually takes my body about 2 weeks to accept a new dosage and start feeling "normal" again, so it's probably a YMMV type of thing depending on how your body reacts to dosage changes.

Just keep with the Atkin's WOE and hopefully your body will adjust quickly to the new dosages. But don't get discouraged if you stall - your body probably just needs some time to adjust to everything.

Best of luck to you!!!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 05:29
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%

I take both of the meds you mentioned, dieffen. But I take less Lexapro--only 10 mg. So far, no effect one way or the other on weight. Do you take the albuterol through an inhaler, or orally? If orally, that might make a difference.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 08:11
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228.5/208.5/125 Female 5 feet 3 1/2 iinches
BF:
Progress: 19%

I'm on a bunch of meds, not the ones you mention. I checked with all my docs before I started Atkins, suggest you do too if you haven't. I was told that Atkins vs. high carbohydrates is a big chemical change, but all four docs that I asked thought Atkins is a good idea. My neurologist said too low carbs can cause mental fuzziness, don't know what it would do to a bipolar condition. Good luck and be careful!