Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-14, 05:41

Plan: Atkins / NK
Stats: 365/308/220 Male 1.86
BF:
Progress:
Default weight loss / stall / NO IDEA ANYMORE :/

Hi!

I know its rude to start with a question but I really need help. I have lost 25kg on low carb within 1 year on 2500kcal and quite clueless why I stall constantly.

Already reduced my calories a lot and been now on 1700kcal. Still only a bit weight lost. Now ate TDEE (3200?) and cut cheese and lowered aspartame but still nothing. I lost with cheese and aspartame before but the stall is now about 2 months just up and down on around 141kg +-... nothing is happening... Also looked at my macro ratios and calories but there seems NO correlation at all!? what gives? :/

What can I do?? Any Ideas?

My Data:
29 years
Male
186cm = 6“ 2‘
141kg (started with ~ 166kg at 01.07.13) = 330lbs
Insulin resistant

Vegetables = great
Fruit = no go
Milk = raw, no go; shakes ok; cheese ok

01.03.2013 // 161kg
FAT 90kg
MUSCLE 100kg
WATER 76kg

22.10.2013 // 151kg:
FAT 39,4 % / 59,7kg
MUSCLE 57,6 % / 87,3kg
WATER 44,5% / 65kg

Thyroid = normal
Testosterone = normal

my logs:

http://s270.photobucket.com/user/er...library/verlauf

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/de/food/diary/eraser51

http://s270.photobucket.com/user/eraser51/library/logs

best regards

Christian
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-14, 05:50

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

Quote:
Originally Posted by eraser51
Hi!

I know its rude to start with a question but I really need help. I have lost 25kg on low carb within 1 year on 2500kcal and quite clueless why I stall constantly.

Already reduced my calories a lot and been now on 1700kcal. Still only a bit weight lost. Now ate TDEE (3200?) and cut cheese and lowered aspartame but still nothing. I lost with cheese and aspartame before but the stall is now about 2 months just up and down on around 141kg +-... nothing is happening... Also looked at my macro ratios and calories but there seems NO correlation at all!? what gives? :/

What can I do?? Any Ideas?

My Data:
29 years
Male
186cm = 6“ 2‘
141kg (started with ~ 166kg at 01.07.13) = 330lbs
Insulin resistant

Vegetables = great
Fruit = no go
Milk = raw, no go; shakes ok; cheese ok

01.03.2013 // 161kg
FAT 90kg
MUSCLE 100kg
WATER 76kg

22.10.2013 // 151kg:
FAT 39,4 % / 59,7kg
MUSCLE 57,6 % / 87,3kg
WATER 44,5% / 65kg

Thyroid = normal
Testosterone = normal

my logs:

http://s270.photobucket.com/user/er...library/verlauf

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/de/food/diary/eraser51

http://s270.photobucket.com/user/eraser51/library/logs

best regards

Christian

Could you post an average daily menu??

Jo xxx
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-14, 06:06

BF:
Progress:

not directly, I posted the logs.

I change the menu daily but stay within the macro pattern. more days 80% fat then 65% and tried to reach nutritional ketosis.. also drank heavy cream just to hit the high fat..

but it seems that I am only in ketosis (with stix) if I ate really high fat and or in the evening... no constant readings. :/

daily menu example could be

1L water
2L coke zero (just as before)
100g cream cheese or gouda
3 sausages (butcher) or 2 steak or 4 vienna sausages or 200g meatloaf or mince or eggs and bacon or prok belly
100-150g broccoli or tomato or cauliflower
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-14, 06:14

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

Quote:
not directly, I posted the logs.

I change the menu daily but stay within the macro pattern. more days 80% fat then 65% and tried to reach nutritional ketosis.. also drank heavy cream just to hit the high fat..

but it seems that I am only in ketosis (with stix) if I ate really high fat and or in the evening... no constant readings. :/

daily menu example could be

1L water
2L coke zero (just as before)
100g cream cheese or gouda
3 sausages (butcher) or 2 steak or 4 vienna sausages or 200g meatloaf or mince or eggs and bacon or prok belly
100-150g broccoli or tomato or cauliflower

I dont do macros - far too complex IMO

Fromn what you've put, are the processed meats you're eating are low in cereals and additives??

Jo xxx
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-14, 06:54

BF:
Progress:

usually yes and also ate them before

that whats startles me.. also diet coke always with me
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-14, 08:32
The Patient Loser

Plan: LCHF/keto
Stats: 165/159/135 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Hi Christian!

What version of Atkins are you doing? The reason I ask is because from looking at your logs, I don't see you getting any veggies and that's a huge part of Atkins.

Coke Zero/Diet Coke *could* be part of the problem, because of the aspartame. Also, you are getting quite a bit of dairy and processed meats. All three of those could be affecting your weight loss, but since you have been able to eat them and lose, it might be still ok.

What I would do is to remove one of those things completely for a couple of weeks and see if the scale moves. If it does, then leave it out.

Honestly, I would try for more clean eating, but I know that probably feels daunting. Still, it would give your body more of the correct nutrients it needs.

Have you read the Atkins book? Which version?

Also, do you exercise at all?
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-14, 11:37

Plan: hflc
Stats: 166/157/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 22%

Hi Christian,

I am by no means an expert- just joined the boards a couple weeks ago, but I agree with prev posters: go as basic and clean as possible.

I just got started at the end of June and I was doing great until I went for a week's vacay. So, I'm in the same boat as you, going to try to go as plain, unprocessed, no additives straight forward as possible. Meat, fat, salad greens. No art sweetener (I was using a little in coffee) and NO sugar (no fruit).

The body is such an amazing machine!

Again, I am not the best person to ask, but I think everyone here is right on- go back to hard core simplicity and know that it WILL work, over time.

Wishing you all the best!

Julie
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-14, 13:20

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

I know most of us don't worry about eating very low calories now and again but looking at some of your days entries you are not eating many calories for someone of your build (6ft 2, male, 300+ pounds).

Perhaps your body thinks there is a famine in the offing and is storing what it can before it gets no food at all?
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-14, 18:05

Plan: Atkins/Taubes
Stats: 270/168/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Hi!

/

Define "stall constantly". You have been losing a little over 2kg (5 pounds? My metric system is weak) a month. That's nothing to sneeze at. Your body won't be bullied into letting fat go any faster than it wants to. You will not lose in a seamless, linear fashion. Human bodies do not work like that. You also may have been fine with certain things 60+ pounds ago that won't work anymore. Your body is changing, you have to adapt your diet to what it needs now, not what it needed last year. Unless you want to be that size again anyway.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-14, 03:33

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I posted a few other tips on stalls in your question on that sub-forum. But now looking at your food, another suggestion as other have said, is to "eat clean". I know the quality of German sausages is way above those from the US, but you have a lot of generally "processed meats", pre-made deli salads, cheese, etc. Take some time on the weekend to make big batches of protein like a beef roast, egg dishes, whole chicken, that you eat during the week rather than grabbing processed foods. Don't see many vegetables on your menus either and eliminate all diet sodas and alcohol. To second KDH, 60 pounds ago the mystery additives and chemicals in foods might have been OK, and the amounts of them, but now they could be slowing progress. Adjust to your new lighter body, and agree you have done very well, weight loss is not linear.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Jul-20-14 at 03:49.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-14, 16:10

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Looking at the month's data you've posted, I'd bet on a false uptick. Warm summer weather can play havoc with water balance--and water balance seems to do whatever the heck it pleases anyways. You're probably losing fat. Even a month isn't always long enough to get an honest answer from the scale. At your height and muscle mass, unless you feel extremely sluggish, I think it's doubtful that your metabolism has slowed down enough to avoid digging into your fat stores.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-14, 06:46

BF:
Progress:

water could be the problem. but I guess I cut the calories nonetheless

Exported my weight/calories intake data and made an average calculation but cant really seem a correlation.. someone else?

http://s270.photobucket.com/user/er.../library/weight
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-14, 07:21

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

You can't really refute my suggestion that even a month isn't always long enough, to get an honest answer from the scale about fat loss, with weight/calorie intake data for a single month. I've seen people on this board stall for brief periods while doing water fasts.

The lack of correlation actually illustrates my point. Days 94-100 you ate an average of 998 calories a day. And gained a bit over a pound. Fat? Only if your body managed to lower its metabolism to 500 calories a day. I'm not a calories-in, calories out kind of guy--but there are limits to just how slow your metabolism can go.

Average calories for the 26 days you gave weigh-ins for are 1861. You gained five pounds over the period. Normal fluctuations of body water are about four or five pounds. You don't even know if you've gained any body fat.

Exclude days 94-100, and average daily intake is 2179 (can you tell I have too much time on my hands this morning? . Which isn't really all that low calorie at all. Until day 94, average calorie intake was nothing like the 1700 calories or so you spoke about at the opening of the thread.

Personally, I think bare-knuckle calorie-restriction is an awful way to lose weight--horribly uncomfortable. But you have to be fair to what you're doing, and you really haven't given it enough time to get a reliable result. Given the vagaries of water retention.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-14, 07:35

BF:
Progress:

yeah I really need to stick to no carbs (<20) and the same amount of calories... I just realized that with these excel thingy
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-14, 07:39

BF:
Progress:

oh btw.. its reverse.. so day 1 is yesterday.. day 100 my start weight loss...

does this change anything?