Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 01:15
Northern Mike

Plan: This time? LOL..
Stats: 251/228/190 Male 73 inches
BF:Weight in journal
Progress: 38%
Default Help....under stress and tempted

I've been lc'ing since November but right now several things have happened at work that are creating a tremendous amount of stress and disappointment in my life. As that has happened, I sometimes look at the snack cabinet going "why not..at least I can get some pleasure out of stuffing myself".

I need help to get me back up so I can go back to be a "glass is half full" kind of person.

I think what would help is to know I'm not alone so if you've had similar temptations from stress, it would be nice to know how you got through it (or how u cheated and THEN got back on track).

Daddio (usually half full) M
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 01:45
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

This is kind of corny, but I list the other benefits of low carbing besides losing weight. I look at my before picture and I know I don't want to go back.

As far as dealing with stress is concerned- I read, I get out of my environment for a little while and do something fun, I play Duke Nukem and blow stuff up, spend time with my cats....

Of course I am up at 3 am due to stress myself-so I also get lovely insomnia.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 02:10

Plan: Atkins > SBD from 27Sep04
Stats: 291/279/190 Female 5ft 9
BF:
Progress: 12%

Yeah.. I gave in to the urges last week.. (actually tried switching to CAD, but the carb cravings got the better of me). I handled the stress worse because i was also bloated, tired, unfocussed.

I know its tough when you are an emotional eater, but really... if you think the stress is hard to handle now, it would be worse if you were suffering the tiredness associated with eating the carbs.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 05:27
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 264/218.5/155 Female 5'9"
BF:43%/38%/23%
Progress: 42%

I know what you are going through, I think we all do. I have had to learn to not "self sabatoge" myself. Don't look to food to fill a void, because in the end it isn't going to make you feel better. Instead, go walking, do something to make you feel better about yourself, workout. It really helps and when your done you feel so good about yourself, your proud that you got past that small but significant obsticle. And most of all if you do cheat, absolutely don't beat yourself up over it...I think that sometimes we are harder on ourselves than anyone. Hope this help a little bit!

Eddiesgirl
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 06:18

Plan: moderate carb, WW
Stats: 274/245.2/200 Male 5 feet 9 inches
BF:36%
Progress: 39%

The last 2 weekends, I was on outings with Cub Scout and Boy Scouts. Both Saturday mornings, I gave into the coffee cake and donuts that they provided. I even planned well by having LC bars and nuts with me, but I gave into tempation anyways.

I cant say it was worth it, even though I thought those things tasted good at the time, because I've spent the last 2 weeks re-losing the same pounds over and over.

So I cheated the last two weekends but got right back on track on Monday morning.

My advice to you is if you're gonna cheat, plan your cheat well and dont give into uncontrolable urges. My other advice to you is if you feel the need to stuff yourself, then do it, but eat LC foods. You are not alone. I hope that my experience helps you get thru this stressful time. Good luck!!!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 08:04
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

I was very tempted after the day I had yesterday. Fridgerator died,son got referal at school,mammogram and sonogram etc.... MAN it was a CALGON moment, Take me away !!!!!!
I was eyeballing my kids popcorn bigtime and thank goodness my DH reminded me of when he carbcrashed.. Afterall, what would it have really helped to eat it? My stress and emotions would not have improved from cheating...Thank goodness he was there for me.
Angel
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 22:22
Northern Mike

Default So far, so good, so stressed

Thanks so much to everyone so far that has posted. I haven't cheated yet (your posts are helping), but still am feeling the draw. I've been sooooooo good so far, and I don't want to relose the weight, but the stress at work AND the stress of watchng my intake at the same time is KILLING me.

On the bright side, I rode the bike at the YMCA like a DEMON yesterday.

Maybe I should start a journal while I'm in this mode, anyone else find that theraputic?

Mike
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 02:45
Slothy Superhero

Hey, I have an idea. You should just start a heroin addiction. That will help you calm down from the stress and give you that thin "heroin chic" look.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 08:41

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Daddio, I suggest that you go ahead and eat that bad food until your heart's content. BUT, not before you get yourself some new clothes. Not a new wardrobe but something new, like jeans and a nice shirt. Look in the mirror and see how nice you look. Then ask yourself, do I wanna mess this up for a few unhealthy carbs that will not make my life any happier? After you eat that junk you will be sadder. Keep your eyes on the prize.

Black57
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 23:23
Northern Mike

I still haven't cheated, in fact I LOST 3 lbs probably because I didn't feel like eating (except for the junk cravings).

Hey Paleoanth...very funny....but I'm going for the "stressed" look. You have made me smile twice now...thx

They actually changed my position to give me some additional visibility to keep me "happy" because they love me and the work I do ........after they stabbed me in the back.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 08:58
Slothy Superhero

The stressed look never goes out of style. It is a classic.

Take the knife out of your back and use it to cut your steak for dinner.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-04, 01:34
Northern Mike

Heh...better today....think I'm over the hump...Thanks sooooooo much for all your support. Hope I can do the same sometime.