Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-22-11, 10:01

Plan: Low Glycemic Diet
Stats: 120/120/120 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress:
Default Let's clear this up

Hey guys, I'm generally a lurker, but decided to give a post.
I've been following a low carb diet for quiet some time, though I will occasionally fit in a cheat day every now and then since I'm not following this diet to lose weight or anything.

Let me first say I wholeheartedly support this way of life and truly believe in the health benefits a low carb diet and the removal of sugars and refined grains can have on my body. Still, there are times I read things people post on this forum and cringe at how wrong I think they are. Here is an example of one I commonly see:

1. "Oh man, after accidentally eating that piece of bread/roll/donut/pizza/[insert carby food here] I had bloating, stomach cramps, bathroom problems, and fatigue like no other!! Carbs are terrible for humans, we weren't meant to eat them, and this just goes to prove it!!"

Ummm, no. We were born with the ability to digest starches and carbs just as we were born with the ability to digest protein and fats. In fact, carbs are broken down before ANY OTHER macronutrient. (Saliva in the mouth)

The REASON you are getting these digestion problems is NOT because you're finally teaching your body how to live the way it should have, but because your body is simply ADJUSTED to not eating them, and therefore makes fewer enzymes that aid in carb digestion.

Take for example a vegetarian. They can have the opposite problem. They accidentally eat a piece of meat and have constipation, cramps, and bloating afterwards. According to your logic, they can also say "ohh man! that meat was soo bad for my digestive system!! Clearly, humans were not meant to eat meat and this proves it!" Obviously, you would think that vegetarian was wrong. Why does the vegetarian get the cramps from meat? The same reason you get cramps from eating carbs: the adjustment of your body.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links