Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 07:05
Italian Goddess

Plan: atkins
Stats: 255/199/150 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 53%
Default **Scales**

Good morning everyone!

I think I'm finally brave enough to keep a scale in my house, as of right now I get weighed once a week at our local TOPS Chapter. My question is this:

Should I get a regular or digital scale? What have you found to be the most accurate? Any particular brand?

Have a great day!

Krista
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 07:12
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 337/310/200 Female 5ft. 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

when my digital started lying I went out and got a Taylor Professional scale. It has a big face (so I don't need my glasses) and goes to I think 330 lbs. I haven't gotten back up that high but I like it .
Sandy
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 07:13

Stats: 264/246/175 Female 65"
BF:??/47%/35%
Progress: 20%

When I opted for a new scale, I went for one that also showed BF. I think it's Tanita.....I like it.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 07:36

Plan: Atkins OWL 30g
Stats: 150/135/125 Female 66"
BF:?/18%/15%
Progress: 60%

I also got the Tanita model that displays your body fat percentage. It's actually kind of addictive and I found I was obsessing over normal fluctuations in my body weight, so I've forced myself to get on the scale only once a week (OK, sometimes twice). The body fat display is very helpful and Tanita claims it is quite accurate. You must follow their instructions for measuring it, however -- I have found that my BF is about 3-4% higher when I wake up first thing in the morning, as compared to early evening, when Tanita recommends that you measure it. The digital scale weighs in increments of .1 pound, and I think it's very accurate. The bad news: I weigh about 1.5 lb. more on the Tanita scale than I do on my old digital scale, which I'd had for over 15 years. I think it was because the old scale allowed you to manually calibrate it, and I must have been a little "creative" in adjusting it!!!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 07:44
Recovering Yo-Yo

Plan: What's best for me
Stats: 291.6/147/164 Female 5'8"
BF:A work in progress
Progress: 113%

I think to get a decent one.....you have to spend a little bit of money. I am so cheap and the first scale I bought reflected that....it was garbage.....needed to be calibrated manually almost daily......I finally tossed it and forced myself to buy another.....I spent more than the first.....but probably still didn't get a top of the line one....have had a few calibration problems.....while my friend bought a good one right from the start....digital....and she has never had a problem with it and says it's wonderful......guess I should have gone that route from the beginning.

Good luck with your search......let us all know what you end up getting.

Take care,
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 09:27
Registered Member

Stats: 255/240/165 Male 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 17%

Dr. Atkins recommends you only get on the scale once per week. I have been using a doctors scale even though I have a Tanita scale at home.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 14:00

Stats: 166/160/143 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 26%

If you're going to be one of those people that steps on the scale everyday and takes to ehart what it says then it's important to get a good scale - one that won't vary from one minute to the next.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 17:31

Stats: // Male 69 inches
BF:27%/21%/15%
Progress: -27977%

I have a digital Tanita that also measures %bf. I like it.

I do weigh myself daily, but I don't stress about changes from one day to the next. But I do like to do it daily so that I can see the general trend during the week.