Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 15:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 204.5/157/142 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 76%
Cool Back from a relapse

I was only in my 3rd day of induction and I quit for the weekend. I have no will power! My biggest problem was the restrictions for the induction period, can any of you give me some food ideas that really helped you during induction? I have mad cravings right now -- I'm contemplating starting smoking again to help me with induction! ha ha I know there has to be some tips and tricks that Im not aware of as far as preparing food to give it a twist so anything anyone can give me would be wonderful!!!

Thank you!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 15:21

Plan: Healthy Eating
Stats: 200/193/170 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 23%

Your best bet is to eat things on the list that are loaded with fat---meats (eat the skin), fry it in butter, cream cheese with celery, cheese (3-4 ounces a day), mock danish (butter, eggs, cream cheese, cinnamon, vanilla), salads with fat dressings, veggies with lotsa butter.

Eat things with fat---fat keeps you full. Make a taco salad, make some hot wings, make a fake me out fajita (use lettuce leaves for the shell), eat bacon.

The first few days of induction are crucial as far as eating fat. It will stop the cravings, but you must eat when hungry. Don't go for more than a few hours without eating. Later on you can cut out the snacks in between if you aren't hungry.

Stay away from the fake foods---Atkins bars, shakes, etc.

Smoking is not allowed on induction!!

Hope this helps some,

"T"
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 15:25

BF:

I have been drinking those Atkins shakes -- ugh oh. Is that making things harder for me?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 15:44
Registered Member

Stats: 240/180/155 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 71%

OOOHHH! drinking those shakes in induction will not only make you stall, but may set off cravings. I con't even use those or candy bars that are "legal" after 7 months of LC eating! Just stick to the basics, meat, fats, green salads, and your hunger will subside...trust me! You will be complaining that you can't eat because you are not hungry! Go for it! You can do this!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 15:48

BF:

Im SOOO glad I had a chance to find that out before I went to the grocery store and spent $100.00 restocking!! Then I would have felt obligated to drink them! ha ha ha!! I think I may have found my problem! Thanks again Losers

Juniper01 - You look like your doing awsome! Good job!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 16:17

Plan: My Own
Stats: 191/166/155 Female 5'4"
BF:32%/25%/25%
Progress: 69%

I want to second the suggestion to stay away from all the low carb products for induction. Eat salad with great dressing; vegetables with cheese sauce; seafood, chicken, beef. Have the 4 oz of cheese every day and the allowed amount of cream. Make cheese chips. Put small slices of cheese (about 1/4 oz) on a non stick cookie sheet (or oil sheet). I use non-stick foil. Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes until crisp but not over brown. Make meatballs or meatloaf using crushed pork rinds for filler. Fry fish using the crushed pork rinds for breading. Cook so you can make great things to eat. It is only 2 weeks. Be certain you always have something if you need a snack. Made SF jello and top with real whipped cream. Make an egg custard using splenda and 1/2 cream and 1/2 water for the milk. Go to the places here and elsewhere on the net for recipies to make induction interesting and tasty. You will find that once you get past those first few weeks the cravings will go away and you will not be hungry. You can do this. Good luck.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 23:29

Plan: lowcarby WW
Stats: 212.6/198.8/191 Female 5 ft 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 64%

Aim for the 5th day! 3rd or 4th days can be horrible! I personally thought I was going to start eating sugar by the cube on the 3rd day I was craving so bad.

Hang in for a week - and all the cravings get much better.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 23:47

Stats: 351/229.6/200 Male 73 inches (that's 6'1)
BF:??%%/24.5%
Progress: 80%

In defense of the shakes, they are sweetened with sucralose, not the dreaded evil sugar alcohols that everyone complains make them stall. It also contains a slight amount of maltodextrin which some people confuse with maltitol (sugar alcohol).

Yes, the shakes may make some people stall, just like bacon affects others and cream cheese other others.

It would be best to stay off sweetened products entirely during induction but the shakes are not a likely stall candidate.

This is a misconception that has spread throughout this site (kind of like LC'ing is bad for your kidneys).

Good Luck!!

OG

Last edited by Operaghost : Thu, Jul-24-03 at 23:49.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 08:22

Stats: 239/203/160 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 46%

Also look for Jolly Rancher SF Jello (in with the more popular Jello SF) it has no aspareteme - makes the desire for something sweet bearable. I also have used cream cheese with some SF davinci's syrup to get over that hump. Get determined, - one meal one day at a time.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 08:30

BF:

Thank you so much - I am writing down all of the foods you guys tell me about. I was excited to add cream cheese to my list!!!! I was never a big meat eater, always pasta and veggies...this is really hard-- so anything any of you want to share will be new news to me and I welcome any ideas!!!

Does anyone know of a fried zucchini receipe that would be allowed? That was always one of my personal favorites
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 08:41

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 298/270/150 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 19%

Jan, I just discovered SF Davinci's Syrup (rasberry) with cream cheese and it is to die for!!!! It was sooooo good that I thought I was going to go out kesis but I did not and have lose another 5 lbs while have that as a nightly snack!!

Shannon, I have never lost weight with any premixed shakes - but also discovered this past week Designer Whey Protein Supplement. That mixed with a few frozen Strawberries, cream and a little water(or ice cubes) is a dieters delight.

With this drink for breakfast and the rasberry cream cheese at night I still lost 5 lbs this week!!!

Good Luck!!!!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 15:42
Registered Member

Stats: 240/180/155 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 71%

I believe you can have zuchinni on induction. I use a julianne peeler and make what looks like green angel hair pasta, saute with butter and garlic and put parm cheese over top....yummy!