Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 05:36
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145/138/120
BF:
Progress: 28%
Default Why am I suddenly hungry?

I have been on induction for 3 weeks and even though I haven't lost much since the first week, I decided to up my carbs. I've had more veggies, some nuts (ok, alot of nuts!) and a couple pieces of fruit (strawberry, slice of mango) and I ate a raisin "by accident". Could that be the cause of my increased hunger? I've been doing so well staying not hungry and staying away from all sugar has been a big success for me. But I'm getting a little worried that I am overdoing it in the calorie department and yet... I'm hungry! That means I should eat, right?
Thanks for any help or advice!
Waldorfmom
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 08:55

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

do you know how many calories you are eating? i know we should not worry about that, but you need to make sure you are getting enough.

i notice that for me i have cycles. there are certain times that i get really really hungary, and certain times that i have to make sure i eat. yesterday i felt like i was hungary all day long!!

try counting up your calories, i use fitday. i have read that between 10-12X your current weight is about what you should be eating.

good luck
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 08:57
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
some nuts (ok, alot of nuts!) and a couple pieces of fruit (strawberry, slice of mango)

I think you've answered your own question!

Is it an actual tummy rumbling hunger or do you just feel compelled to eat something kind of like getting the munchies? Nuts can set you off and so can higher, but low carb foods, especially eaten on an empty stomach.

Try easing off the nuts or replacing them with 1/3 nuts, 1/3 celery and 1/3 meat, all cut the same size as nuts and the same portion as a small serving of nuts and see what happens.

Also, stick with low sugar fruits like berries. Anything that triggers insulin will cause a hunger of some sort.

Karen