Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 23:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/160/140 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress:
Question Exercise??????

Hi everyone!
I am fairly new to all of this. i am 165 and its my first week of the diet. I am wondering if i will loose inches with exercise and the diet? I know you wont loose as much weight but am wondering if exercise can also be a good component. I am not obese and i have heard that since i am not then i heard that io will loose slower is this true?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 23:25

Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%

Yes, you are going to loose slower. 10% of your weight lost is average for induction. For you that would only be about 2 lbs as opposed to some of the other people you see dropping 15 in the first 2 weeks. BTW though, looks like you are doing great so far with 5 pounds! You are above the average. But do expect that to slow down. You won't looses that rapidly after the first week or two.

Exercise is key! Weights and resistance is preferable to an aerobic routine. Even just walking though will do you a world of good. Your inches will decrease faster even if it's not showing as quickly on the scale (because you are building muscle which weighs more than fat). Take your measurements and re-measure every once and a while to track your progress. Or get a tight pair of jeans to try on each week. They will get baggy! Don't put all your faith into the scale.

Welcome and good luck! You are doing awesome so far!

Last edited by sunspine17 : Sat, Sep-13-03 at 23:27.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-03, 11:35

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I am not an exercise enthusiast. It is important, but hate doing it. Until I change my way of thinking, I atleast walk and it does work wonders for someone as sedentary as myself. I lose more when I am walking. If my weight stalls, all I have to do is increase my walking a little and that seems to help the scales to budge. In the future I would like to sign up for Curves or a Pilates class. But, I saw Iman on Oprah the other day. She said that she took up boxing and lost 10 lbs. in 2 weeks. It does make you think.

Black57
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-03, 11:52

Stats: 236/202.5/159 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 44%

Congrats on your strong start....5lbs!
If you've read DANDR and are following the guidelines you have only just begun...it's great!
Exercise is always good even in small amounts. The best loss is a slow loss so if your rate of loss drops thats great. The biggest thing I had to work on with Atkins was patience! It works but trying to rush it is more than likely counter productive.
Thanks for the inspiration we've received from your early success!