Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 12:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/194/140 Female 5'6
BF:Lose 50 in 2004
Progress: 46%
Unhappy Has anyone actually healed his or her metabolism?

I've been low-carbing for over four months. Prior to that, I lost 40 pounds doing low fat over the course of one year. Prior to that, I've yo-yo dieted since age 12.

I have not had the signficant, or even steady, weight loss that many describe doing low carbs. I lost four pounds during my first two weeks, I lost another four during the next two months, and then I haven't lost any more. I've actually gained the second four pounds back and am back up to 200 despite eating low carb, but I didn't change my stats again. So my loss total is only four true pounds. As much as I love this board, sometimes seeing such incredible weight loss stories can be almost overwhelming.

I wondered how long it might take to "heal a metabolism." I read about that on the stalls/tips thread and in the Turtle section, but there is not a lot of posting over there so I thought I'd ask around here. I wonder if other yo-yo dieters have had my experience with low carbing.

In case you were wondering, I have read DANDR more than once, and I've had people check over my menus, etc., so I know I am following the program as recommended.

Basically, I'd just like to know if anyone had difficulty losing weight at the beginning of Atkins, but experienced weight loss success after doing it for a period of time.

By the way, I am on Day Three of taking Oil of Oregano - so far.... nothing!

Any support or information would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 13:07
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

click the gallery icon under my name and look at the chart from fitday. The initial large drop was just when I started keeping track. After that there was losses, gains, plateaus and so on. Through trial and error, and adjusting my diet many times, I made it to goal. Just hang in there. If what your doing now isn't working, make some adjustments where you can to see if that helps. Maybe cut out all dairy, or processed foods or so on. Read the symptoms of caniddia or thyriod problems to see if they saound like you.

Remember this WOL is a learning experience. You learn about your own body and what it cna and can't handle.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 14:41

Thanks for such a quick response, LadyBelle. Congratulations to you for reaching goal!

I know that there is a lot of tweaking that can go on (i.e. cutting out nuts, dairy, artificial sweeteners, etc.), and perhaps I need to do more of that. I avoid Frankenfoods already, and I sure hate to give up cheese, but that might be a necessity. I am trying the OoO because of potential yeast problems. I had taken long courses of antibiotics years ago for acne treatment, and that clearly may have impacted my yeast issues. I also carry a lot of weight around my middle, so that could be another sign. I've studied the Candida diet, but haven't switched to that. I didn't want to stop Atkins until I give it a fair chance.

I read something about food allergy testing that really helped one member. It turned out some meats caused her to stall, whereas other meats didn't!

I'm going to go read your fitday chart right now!

Keep the info coming!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 14:49

Wow - I just looked at your chart. 44 pounds in 6 months, that is one of those what I would describe as pretty incredible stories!

So, between May and August is when you tried various adjustments and learned what worked for you? Hmmmm....that would be about four months which is where I am right now.

Thanks for the info and encouragement.

BTW, what adorable kids!