Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 09:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 177/175/130
BF:
Progress: 4%
Default Mornings/Newcomers

Since I startd induction only a week ago, I've noticed I am starving the minute I wake up in the morning. My stomach growls like it never has...
I'm curious if others have this and if it subsides as time goes on?
I also wanted to comment on a post I saw yesterday. Someone commented about newcomers complaining or feeling disappointed that they didn't loose as much weight as wanted when they weighed themselves. And this seemed to irritate long time Atikins dieters.
I think it's fair to say that we get overwhelmed with excitement in the beginning and when the first few pounds come off so quickly, it's a normal reaction to 'expect' that on a regular.
For those struggling with weight issues, it's hard not to feel the up's and downs'. I think as the novelty of the beginning progress wears off, newcomers like myself will understand reasonable expectations. But until then, encouragement will help us through...
I was 130 pounds 3 years ago when I got married--Size 6. I've gained 40 pounds since then and the struggle with weight loss has been a nightmare. I am anxious as others are but I also understand that this is about time and changing.....
A little understanding will help those who are brand new to this
Just My Thoughts.
Nan
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 10:35

Stats: 249/197/170 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 66%

I've noticed the same thing. We can't know EVERYTHING in the begginging, no matter how many books we've read. After a week of losing up to a lb a day, it's hard when you wake up the first day of the second week only to discover that you've lost nothing or even gained a few back. You start examining what you've possibly done wrong. The euporia is suddenly gone. And it doesn't help when people are suddenly yelling at you for being concerned.

I know that this is how I felt. I had so much faith in Atkins before I started that I was sure it was going to work for me. I saw those pounds flying off for the first week and I thought to myself "Wow. This is it. This one's going to work". When that second week came and I had gained 3 lbs, I was depressed. I had faith and it "let me down." I figured "Dammit. This is just like all those other fad diets. It just doesn't work anymore.".

Of course, I know now that this just isn't true. I stuck with it, and I'm on a more steady course now. I haven't lost any more lbs since the first week, but I'm down 12 inches and am wearing jeans that are 4 sizes smaller. Not to mention that my eating habits are excellent and I have NEVER had that in my entire life. What other people call a "cheat", I call a breakthrough because it means that I've only eaten one bad thing that week instead of that hour. I was critisized by quite a few people when I chose to "cheat" one day. What people don't realize (or have forgotten) is that a lot of us newcomers are coming from YEARS of bad eating. We've quit pretty much cold turkey. We can't be expected to be perfect, or even desire to be perfect on this WOE.

The bottom line is that we're learning. And most unintentionally, we're learning how to eat sensibly. And I think that is the most important thing.

~Angi~
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 10:55

Stats: 184/156/160 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 117%
Exclamation

You make some good points. I personally decided just to try Atkins and see what my body would do. After seeing Dr. Atkins on the Today show, I found the Atkins website and read a bit about it--enuf to know that you can't ever go back to your old ways, since they got you in trouble in the first place!

Good Luck as you travel this path-
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 10:55

Plan: Atkins/Counting Calories
Stats: 173/165/145 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 29%

To answer your question about being hungry first thing in the morning, I think that that is a good sign. I too am hungry first thing in the morning, I used to not eat anything until 10:00 every morning. Now I am eating at 8:00, I can't wait that long anymore.

I feel that by being hungry, stomach growling, etc. is good because it tells you that your body burned everything up that you had eaten the day before.

Wee
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 11:07
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

I have been following the Atkins plan for 12 weeks now, so I still consider myself pretty new. Three of those weeks the scaled stalls shortly after induction. Yup, very tough weeks indeed. So I try to be very understanding with handing down any info I have learned along the way. (OK, some of it may not be right, but I tried ) I remember a lot of my early questions were not only about stalls but the whole net carb thing. I have to agree that some people seem to get tired of answering the same questions over and over again. That is why I think newer members should spend a lot of there time answering the newbie question if they can. We can get that shampoo commercial thing going, they'll tell two friends, and so on, and so on....

On the breakfast question, I have never been on to want to eat first thing in the morning. And after 12 weeks I have slipped back into my old patterns. But I am thirsty, for this reason the Atkins shakes work well for me.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 11:12

Stats: 197/199/170 Female 68 in
BF:
Progress: -7%

The first few weeks on Induction I woke up hungry, too. I also noticed that I had energy 1st thing in the morning (well, after day 4 anyway). I think it is the change in metabolism that is responsible for both. I saw it as my 'furnace' burning up calories at an accelerated rate. I loved it! Things have slowed down a bit for me now on month 4. But I am so happy with what I am eating.
Like Angi said:
Quote:
What other people call a "cheat", I call a breakthrough because it means that I've only eaten one bad thing that week instead of that hour.

I had so much trouble trying to stick to low fat diets. With Atkin's I never feel deprived. My clothes are so much looser and I just feel better. I just want to tell everyone to try this WOE - but so many just won't hear it.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 11:54

Plan: atkins
Stats: 212/186/145 Female 5 foot 5 in.
BF:?????????
Progress: 39%
Talking Starving in the Morning

I used to never eat in the morning and then by noon I would be ready for lunch after eating all kinds of crap because I missed breakfast. Well I have been doing this LC thing for about twenty some odd days and I have had breakfast every day. I have also had lunch and dinner about the same time every day. If I don't eat I get grumpy. And I don't really ever snack in-between meals. I think this is really healthy!!

So starving in the morning is normal I think!
Sarah
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 11:59

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/157/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Morning hunger:
I have the same thing, and have taken to having a class of unsweetened vanilla soymilk. Really helps and makes me feel full for a long time.

Newbie questions. Agreed, we should all help each other, that's why we're here. However, remember that principle about how you can either feed a man a fish or teach him to fish? I think that's why newbies are encouraged to learn about the search function , and that it is a sticky on some threads. Could some of the senior members feel that they want to help people that help themselves? (i.e. use the search function, THEN ASK?)

I've only been here a few months, and I still post questions, but I try to make it clear that I've read the book, AND used the search function here, or my web browser too, before I askl. I don't want to waste anyones time, or ask them to answer something they've answered hundreds of times before. I appreciate greatly the help they've given me to help me over the hard spots, and I want to show this appreciation by respecting their time.