Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 19:39

Plan: atkins
Stats: 300/255/200 Female 5 feet 3 and a half inchs
BF:
Progress: 45%
Unhappy Bummed Out

Well today just stunk. My mother dragged me to the mall, which i have always hated even when i was thin. Now I know I lost 30 pounds, scales dont lie. So she says oh try something on try it, now I told myself i wasant gonna try ANYTHING on until like i lost 50 pounds. But like a fool i give in. I guess I can tell a little that i lost weight but nothing major. Yes I know i have a lot of weight to lose and yes I kn ow that i did not gain this weight in 2 months and it is gonna take time to go away. But i put on the size i was when i started and it looked just as horrible as it always has I got depressed. Does anyone else feel like the scale is lieing to them? 30 pounds and you would think that i would at least get in one size smaller than i was. today i just want to give up, i had to fight not to run and eat something bad. I havent even cheated since i started. Im just miserable and depressed. I just dont think i will look good
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 19:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hi Ramona. As a friend of mine in (sort of) French used to say: ne panic pas!

Yes, you HAVE lost 30 pounds. No, the clothing manufacturer has not changed either the size or the cut of the clothing. It is still "Omar the Tent maker" who has never been near a real woman over size 10.

They don't cut clothes anywhere near the body above size 12 and they have never hugged a size 18 (like me) to find out that there are curves and shape at this size. They should - it could be fun.

Did you try a smaller size than you are used to? You might be surprised to find that it DID go on & do up (even if you hated the cut). That is progress and success.

Don't let some dumb number on a piece of cloth get you down. Apparently, today's size 14 is the same as 1950 size 10. People are changing, and so are sizes.

What matters is how YOU have changed - not the stupid number on a dress tag. If you have kept track of your measurements (not just the usual 3 but every part of the body you can reach) you KNOW that things are changing. Focus on that and keep on keeping on.

You ARE winning.

Last edited by tofi : Sat, Jul-26-03 at 19:55.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 19:56

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Does anyone else feel like the scale is lieing to them?

Absolutely! But...I had the opposite experience. I hadn't lost any pounds and yet I went down a size. I discovered this while shopping for something to wear to a special occasion and grabbed my usual size in several outfits only to find that they were too big (much to my delight).
The scale lies. At larger sizes, it's hard to see progress in the clothing department and I have to admit that I HATED having to buy clothes that were labeled "extra, extra, extra grande".
Don't let this get you down. 30 pounds is fantastic progress and I'm sure it won't be long before you're shopping for smaller sizes and smiling at what you see in the mirror.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 19:50

Stats: 165/126/130 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

You are doing great! 30 pounds is a lot of weight to have lost no matter what size you are. I can empathize with you as well. While I don't have as much weight to lose, I have lost over 10 pounds (30% of what I have to lose) and NO ONE has noticed! Not one person has told me that they think I have lost weight. While I 'think' some of my clothes are fitting a bit better, I am not entirely sure, and I am certainly not down any dress sizes.

Soooooooooo, yes, this is happening to other people. Don't give up. I figure that with people like us, it is going to happen really quick at some point. Hang in there, as you are doing great. Don't be miserable. You should be proud of yourself for sticking to it for 2 months and having real results (even if the clothes aren't showing it yet). Just think how great you are going to look after another 30 pounds! Sometimes too, I think our 'loved ones' can try to sabatoge our plans, no matter how well-intentioned they are. Perhaps you should have a serious talk with your mom about how you have set a goal of 50 pounds and for her to take you out like she did when you hadn't reached that goal has set you back, at least psychologically. Tell her you need her support and tell her how she can support you and also what she shouldn't do. Maybe the two of you can plan a girl's shopping trip for your 50 pound celebration? Get her on board and at the same time let her know you need her support.

Keep LCing!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 19:52

BF:

I did try a smaller size and it was too tight, i am back to being very unhappy and hateing myself. Yes i do measure and they have gone down a bit but why dont i look differnet
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 19:53
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Hey Ramona! I know how you feel believe me. I love shopping but everytime I go I kind of get depressed because there are so many thing I want to wear and I cannot...yet . The thing is I know that if I continue this WOL and be patient, I will and so will you. I know it's easy to put yourself down about how far you have to go (I am there too) but you lost 30 pounds and that is phenomenal. You are doing great! Don't get discouraged, seriously, each person is different so it might take you longer to change sizes but I promise you that you will. Keep ya head up! And if it helps don't go shopping/trying on clothes.

Good luck!

Peace
red
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 20:00

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hello again Ramona, You might want to read this article before you go off the LC plan. It theorizes that each of us has only 1 chance to get this LC thing right and lose the weight we want. I don't know if it is true but many people seem to stall if they go off it. I lost 20 pounds in 6 weeks and then stalled for 3 months, then lost 20 more in the next 2 months. Since then, surgeries, medications and life have gotten in the way but I am still working on it.
Her'e the article. Hope you decide to stick with it.

One Golden Shot
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 19:58

Stats: 211.2/198/137 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 13%

RamonaC don't give up! Sounds like you are making great progress in a fairly short amount of time. That is for sure something to be proud of! I have lost quite a bit less than you, and have not changed sizes yet partly because the clothes I was wearing before this WOE were too tight and small to begin with. I think I have finally "grown down" to fit the size I should have not been wearing in the first place. Since it can be upsetting not to see the sizes decrease, I agree you should stick to your guns about waiting until you have lost a little more weight like you had originally planned. It is definitely hard work, but you can do it! You have our support here on the forum! Queen Bee
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 20:01

BF:

Thank you guys, im crying now maybe ill feel better when i am done. Im lucky to have such nice people to talk to. Thanks.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 20:06
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Ramona , nothing wrong with crying. Hey think of where you will be by Thanksgiving. You need to change your current weight stats in your profile from 284 to 270.

Peace
red
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 20:04

Stats: 211.2/198/137 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 13%

RamonaC don't give up! Sounds like you are making great progress in a fairly short amount of time. That is for sure something to be proud of! I have lost quite a bit less than you, and have not changed sizes yet partly because the clothes I was wearing before this WOE were too tight and small to begin with. I think I have finally "grown down" to fit the size I should have not been wearing in the first place. Since it can be upsetting not to see the sizes decrease, I agree you should stick to your guns about waiting until you have lost a little more weight like you had originally planned. It is definitely hard work, but you can do it! You have our support here on the forum! Queen Bee
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 20:08
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 217/209/140 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 10%

Hang in there - discouragment is easy. As a Christian, I know the downers come from the Devil and DANG - I'm beating him!
I agree with Tofi - once you get to a certain size Omar is making our clothes. Now my 13 year old daughter gets after me for talking like that, but hey, overweight is overweight. I was looking down the barrel of 80 pounds to lose and feeling completely overwhelmed. But you know, when does the change start? Sounds like you and many others here have made that change - and like you said - it will take time.
Also - keep in mind - different manufactures size things differently. I can wear 18 in some pants and up to 22 in others.
You have another choice to make now - keep feeling down or stand up and be proud for what you have done and keep plugging away. All these extra pounds aren't good for us - we get depressed even more. Sometimes I think I let myself go just to have something to blame my depression on - doesn't THAT just say a lot about my will!
Hopefully your mom was just excited for you - stall her next time she wants to shop! Only if you keep plugging away will more changes come. I personally (and sounds like everyone agrees) am rather proud of you! Don't be an easy mark for that Devil - the Bible says he is UNDER our feet (and besides, pass the high carbs to him).
Traci
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 20:12

Stats: 202/117/125 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 110%

It looks to me as though you have made a MAJOR start on your weight loss. I want to say the right thing to help you feel better about your results, but I don't know exactly what to say to help you feel better.

30 pounds is nothing to sneeze at; it is a very, very important beginning.

You have started a journey that will give incredible results. It may take time, but you are worth every bit of time that you spend on this woe.

Have you read many of the success stories? Most people started and kept at in when they stalled, when they were depressed, and when they felt miserable. But just think of what you will feel like and look like in another 3 months, 6 months, or a year. This is a woe and a wol that will help you for the rest of your life.

We all have days when we want to throw in the towel. Sometimes, I feel that is everyday; but I do feel so much better than I did.

Tomorrow is another day! Don't let today get you down too much.
Do your children support you in your lcing? Hopefully your mother meant well because she could probably see you are losing.

I really like tofi's statement about clothing manufacturerers. They are tent makers.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 21:13

Stats: 285.4/278.2/170 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 6%

First of all, 30 lbs...WOW!!!! Congratulations!!!

I took the liberty of looking at your profile, sweetie...listen to me, now...

Let's say someone has a starting weight of 200 and is 5'10" tall...for them, losing 30lbs would "show" (they'd practically be at their "ideal" weight (whatever that is ).

Consider your height and starting weight...while a 30lb weight loss is FANTASTIC, it may very well not "show" on you...YET !!!

Please be patient and give it time! I BET that you'll be pleasantly suprised with the next 30lb loss (or even less than that)!!!

Chin up...you have friends here!!!

S
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 21:15

BF:

Thanks guys. What would I do without you.... Im ok, I guess it was just a bad day. Guess either fat or thin we still have them.